XSTRAND GF30 PA6 Test Print

Gabriele

Posted · XSTRAND GF30 PA6 Test Print

Indeed, that looks much better! The strings that remained, were they fairly easy to remove?

On 11/30/2018 at 10:37 AM, Gabriele said:

Material cost is quite high, at the moment I almost used 3x 500g spool just for tuning purpose. 

We understand, and we also realize that you did not invest in 1500g to find out there were some issues with the profile. It is possible though that a print in normal circumstances can fail, but we confirmed that in this case the profile required an update. Therefore I'm happy to announce that I briefly spoke with OC and they said they would reach out to you and work something out. And I think that's very nice of them! 

I think the grey color is due to a temperature change, could also be because of the fans or the layer time. 

Please keep us posted about your new findings!

• Like 1

Posted (edited) · XSTRAND GF30 PA6 Test Print

Hi,

this is the last print with triangle support pattern.

As you can see the stringing is greatly reduced but still present and supports are much more reliable.

Strings are quite easy to remove from the printed part, the problem is that after a string usually you have an under extrusion, for this particular model is not a problem given the size and the destination of use.  

Dimensional accuracy is pretty much the same as the last post.

Overall speaking if you compare this with original images the improvements are significant.  

Having the filament baked for 6 hours at 80° and placed in the polybox with 10% humidity greatly improves layering smoothness.

Overall the material is very rigid and for me at the moment is the only hard material with high softening temperature you can use for large print without any sign of warping or shrinking (didn't used yet the XSTRAND PP though).

As a heavy Nylon user I noticed the filament is really sensitive to moisture but once printed the part is not afraid of water of humidity. I left one of those print submerged in water for 12 hours and the mechanical properties almost didn't changed. As a reference same print made with Ultimaker Nylon and Polymaker COPA with same water submersion time completely softened and the lateral wall were significanlty bent. 

Since I travel a lot for work I will start a stress test benchmarking this material with XSTRAND PP and some engineering Formlabs resins (Though and Durable) printing rotating trolley wheels supports I will use extensively, but I think it will be material for another post 😉.

I attached the profile used for this print to this post in case anyone want to use it as a starting point waiting for a cura update.

Thank you all for the comments and support.

IMG_9670.thumb.JPG.981c4edb4b37c9b1be204f24eb9567cb.JPGIMG_9666.thumb.JPG.f67de8b1d87c7fd4040550a9c4a3ae54.JPGIMG_9671.thumb.JPG.7ec0ebc973738ebfad3e124c808cdbe8.JPG

0.2 XSTRAND PA (WIP rev5).curaprofile

Edited by Gabriele
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

I'll be setting up for testing shortly.  Thank you for the profile.  One thing I am trying to locate in the threads is minimum nozzle size.  I know the CC red is 0.6.  Is that assumed to be the minimum nozzle diameter?  I have a potential application that would go all the way down to .25 (hardcore/everlast).  I appreciate this would be experimental.

Thoughts?

John

19 hours ago, JohnInOttawa said:

I'll be setting up for testing shortly.  Thank you for the profile.  One thing I am trying to locate in the threads is minimum nozzle size.  I know the CC red is 0.6.  Is that assumed to be the minimum nozzle diameter?  I have a potential application that would go all the way down to .25 (hardcore/everlast).  I appreciate this would be experimental.

Thoughts?

John

I believe Owens Corning also did some tests with 0.4mm, but our profile is indeed limited to 0.6 due to the CC print core. I would be hesitant to go below 0.4 because of the fibers that are added to the material, they may end up clogging your nozzle if you go too small. 

• Thanks 1