Tip: How to use 3rd party materials with the UM3 & S5

Smithy

Posted · Tip: How to use 3rd party materials with the UM3 & S5
On 12/1/2020 at 3:54 PM, marine3D said:

Hello @flyinggorilla - Just checking, do you still use the BB print cores for the BVOH filament? Thanks

Yes, exactly. That print core is also the required configuration in the BVOH material definition GitHub - flyinggorilla/ultimaker-s5: Ultimaker S5 Materials Management Tool and FormFutura Materials

And in case you use S3 than you found a bug in material definition, that I just fixed. The S3 machine setting had wrong AA print core defined for S3. You can download the updated material file now. Thanks for pointing that out. FG 

• 4 weeks later...

For what it's worth - printing with either the BVOH or the standard PVA profiles, the FormFutura BVOH filament seems to print extremely well and very cleanly - Really impressed so thank you for the tips.

However, I am still struggling with ASA material (Both FormFutura and Fillamentum brands) bonding to the BVOH support material...

8 hours ago, marine3D said:

For what it's worth - printing with either the BVOH or the standard PVA profiles, the FormFutura BVOH filament seems to print extremely well and very cleanly - Really impressed so thank you for the tips.

However, I am still struggling with ASA material (Both FormFutura and Fillamentum brands) bonding to the BVOH support material...

Yes, had such issues too. What worked for me was to increase the "support horizontal expansion" setting, making sure to have proper support brims, and to reduce support Z distance to 0, and support horizontal distance close to zero (just to not mix ASA with BVOH during printing), and finally give it a tight enough support roof. 

I'm fairly new to 3D printing but I've quickly come across the snag of not being able to add a generic PETG to the list of filaments in the Ultimaker S5 Pro's material handler. PETG does come up in the generic list, but It keeps telling me that the print core is incompatible?? both the AA-0.4 and the BB-0.4?   So, from what I understand in the above posts, All I have to do is trick the material handler into thinking I have a generic CPE and adjust the nozzle & bed temperature accordingly. Am I on the right track here?  Someone with vastly more knowledge than I have please correct or nudge me in the right direction.  Thanks!

Posted (edited) · Tip: How to use 3rd party materials with the UM3 & S5

@RuCad Selecting CPE is indeed the easiest  way to solve the problem, since PETG is a CPE (co-polyester).  

Edited by wjbdesign

Thanks wjbdesign, I unleashed the deception upon my Ultimaker S5 and it fell for it, additionally the print was awesome 👍.

• Like 1

I am having trouble with my US3 detecting all of my 3rd party filaments that are saved in cura and syncing them. I have four Gizmo Dorks PETG profiles that I added by duplicating the Generic CPE profile. There is four colors and only 2 of them show up when I go to select the filament to load into my machine. When I went to print with Gizmo Dorks Blue set in cura the printer said I needed to change my settings to Gizmo Dorks Red to continue.?? I'm not sure how to sync the profiles or get the printer to understand that blue is not red.

Hi @GoguyT3d, thank you for your message. It makes sense when the profiles are not synced that it will tell you to change the configuration, because it is trying to print with a profile/material it doesn't know is loaded. I'm not sure why 2 out of 4 profiles are not showing. Did you create them all at the same time, or the 2 that are not showing up later? 

Have you tried a factory reset or disconnecting and reconnecting from the Digital Factory? 

Adding custom material profiles is at this point still a little bit cumbersome, but we're working on a better solution for that. In the meantime, what works for me most of the times is creating a duplicate profile from an existing similar material and change the perimeters and naming that need changing and allow Cura to sync. I've been successful with just that but also with exporting the profile as an .fdm_material file and then import this profile again under manage printers > materials > import, sync your account in Cura at the top right corner.

Sometimes it takes a bit before it syncs and I probably should just be more patient but I then try to trigger it by restarting Cura and my Ultimaker, reconnect to DF or downloading a different profile via the marketplace; I've noticed that they sometimes trigger a sync when I feel like my custom profile doesn't. Hope this helps! 

Hi @SandervG, I have found the root to my problem, it turns out that in order to sync your profiles, your printer and PC must be connected to the same local network, my problem was that my pc was connected via ethernet cable to the network extender and the printer was connected via wifi to the extender. I did end up doing a factory reset to remove the old profiles and once I was connected to the same "local" network via wifi with my printer and PC, all of my current filament profiles which were not on the printer after the reset were recognized and synced as soon as I logged in. Thank you for all your help.

So what do we do if the S5 won't stop trying to detect? I'm guessing nuke the software (return to factory settings)? Oof. 

IMG_5237.JPG

Just ignore it and select the material from the list

I just tried Sync, it failed miserably. So I tried USB... the S5 doesn't see the .umm file. Tried 2 USB sticks, both formatted properly, and I really hope Ultimaker takes this seriously at some point. 

5 hours ago, vagredajr007 said:

I just tried Sync, it failed miserably. So I tried USB... the S5 doesn't see the .umm file. Tried 2 USB sticks, both formatted properly, and I really hope Ultimaker takes this seriously at some point. 

So I ran into this myself - if you copy or duplicate an exiting UM profile: In Cura you will use that profile to slice your project, but keep in mind the base generic material you created the profile from. Then on the machine select that generic material as the type of filament you have loaded. I will look at the material type field from the copied profile (say GFF Nylon) and then provided you selected GFF Nylon on the machine it will then accept the gcode with the specific settings you put in for that print job.

Now if you want a specific unique material to select on the machines menu then you can instead select "create new" in Cura, but this means you have to set everything about that material profile that you want it to have. It is literally a blank slate for the most part, but when it saves the UMM file it has a tag of "custom material" and it has a new GUID number attached to it. When you load that onto a thumb drive the machine will see it as a new material and load it.

A third in-between option is to start by duplicating an existing material like you did in the first method, but after you get done go to the Material Preference pane in Cura and unlink the duplicated material from the base generic material you started from. This will create a new GUID# for that material so when you sync materials with the machine it will see it as a "new" material. 

A shorter version of all that is duplicated materials are linked to the parent material and use the same GUID # as the parent material. So the machine does not see them as a "new" material - just as a group of specific settings to use on that type of generic material for printing.

But materials either unlinked or using the "create new" option generate a new GUID # and are recognized by the printer as their own unique material type. It is this group that will sync to the printer as a "new" material, the previous group will print but the printer still views them the same as the generic material they were created from.