Jump to content
UltiMaker Community of 3D Printing Experts

Passing UMO on to young maker, but the thermocouple


fluxline
 Share

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited) · Passing UMO on to young maker, but the thermocouple

As the title says, I'm giving my UMO with the ultimaker heated bed to a young maker, but in getting ready I noticed the original thermocouple is not working after sitting for a year.  I measured the ohms, and it's dead Jim, not registering a temperature any more.  Not sure about the daugterboard on the original hotend but I assume it works as I'd printed something before putting it away. Ultimaker doesn't sell the original thermocouple anymore, would somebody know of an easy way to get the printer running again, with a link to where I can order a new sensor?  I've looked through earlier posts, but it seems quality sensors are hard to find, and most are suggesting replacing the daughterboard and sensor with another type, not sure f that's the best way to go. 

Thanks for any help to get this old printer running again.

Edited by fluxline
  • Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Posted · Passing UMO on to young maker, but the thermocouple

    Hi,

    I'm facing the same kind of problem as you... I found something interesting there: https://e3d-online.com/v6-pt100-sensor-kit

    I did mot try it out yet, but will order it soon... I had a look on the specs of the kit and of the ultimaker 1.5.7 board, it should work. I contacted the resseller who said me the same. (They have no feddback of people having done it, but it should work...)

  • Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Posted · Passing UMO on to young maker, but the thermocouple

    Are you sure a cable didn't get loose over time, or during moving? Do you still this small pcb on top of your printhead, in your UMO? (perhaps a picture would rule out any miscommunications). Are you talking about the heater that heats your bed, or the print head? 

  • Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Posted · Passing UMO on to young maker, but the thermocouple
    On 12/6/2018 at 5:17 PM, SandervG said:

    Are you sure a cable didn't get loose over time, or during moving? Do you still this small pcb on top of your printhead, in your UMO? (perhaps a picture would rule out any miscommunications). Are you talking about the heater that heats your bed, or the print head? 

    I still use the original PCB, any testing point there you'd suggest? But, I thought it strange that it'd die just sitting there so I swapped to the cable intended for the planned second head and same problem.  I also measured the resistance as suggested in a previous thread that I can't find now, and it indicated it was broken. 

     

    Any help in getting this printer working would be great, it served great prints for years and I'd like to see this younge maker get some more use out of it.

  • Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Posted · Passing UMO on to young maker, but the thermocouple
    On 12/6/2018 at 4:34 PM, Curven said:

    Hi,

    I'm facing the same kind of problem as you... I found something interesting there: https://e3d-online.com/v6-pt100-sensor-kit

    I did mot try it out yet, but will order it soon... I had a look on the specs of the kit and of the ultimaker 1.5.7 board, it should work. I contacted the resseller who said me the same. (They have no feddback of people having done it, but it should work...)

    Thanks for the option, do you know if the firmware will handle it or will you need to compile your own?

  • Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Posted · Passing UMO on to young maker, but the thermocouple
    1 hour ago, fluxline said:

    I still use the original PCB, any testing point there you'd suggest? But, I thought it strange that it'd die just sitting there so I swapped to the cable intended for the planned second head and same problem.  I also measured the resistance as suggested in a previous thread that I can't find now, and it indicated it was broken. 

     

    Any help in getting this printer working would be great, it served great prints for years and I'd like to see this younge maker get some more use out of it.

     

    Ok. What I was going for was if you had an Ultimaker Original which was upgraded with a heated bed or if you bought an Ultimaker Original+? 

  • Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Posted · Passing UMO on to young maker, but the thermocouple
    1 hour ago, SandervG said:

     

    Ok. What I was going for was if you had an Ultimaker Original which was upgraded with a heated bed or if you bought an Ultimaker Original+? 

    UMO Original with the Ultimaker Heated bed upgrade kit.  Bed still heats fine, it's the orginal hotend sensor that brings up the error when trying to print with Cura, and which seems to be bad when measuring the resistance.  Thanks for the help Sander.

  • Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Posted · Passing UMO on to young maker, but the thermocouple

    Hi fluxline,

     

    You can go this site, where you find how to repair the thermocouple setup in an UMO..

     

    https://reprap.org/wiki/Ultimaker's_v1.5.7_PCB

     

    Thanks

     

    Torgeir.

  • Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Create an account or sign in to comment

    You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

    Create an account

    Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

    Register a new account

    Sign in

    Already have an account? Sign in here.

    Sign In Now
     Share

    • Our picks

      • Here it is. The new UltiMaker S7
        The UltiMaker S7 is built on the success of the UltiMaker S5 and its design decisions were heavily based on feedback from customers.
         
         
        So what’s new?
        The obvious change is the S7’s height. It now includes an integrated Air Manager. This filters the exhaust air of every print and also improves build temperature stability. To further enclose the build chamber the S7 only has one magnetically latched door.
         
        The build stack has also been completely redesigned. A PEI-coated flexible steel build plate makes a big difference to productivity. Not only do you not need tools to pop a printed part off. But we also don’t recommend using or adhesion structures for UltiMaker materials (except PC, because...it’s PC). Along with that, 4 pins and 25 magnets make it easy to replace the flex plate perfectly – even with one hand.
         
        The re-engineered print head has an inductive sensor which reduces noise when probing the build plate. This effectively makes it much harder to not achieve a perfect first layer, improving overall print success. We also reversed the front fan direction (fewer plastic hairs, less maintenance), made the print core door magnets stronger, and add a sensor that helps avoid flooding.
         

         
        The UltiMaker S7 also includes quality of life improvements:
        Reliable bed tilt compensation (no more thumbscrews) 2.4 and 5 GHz Wi-Fi A 1080p camera (mounted higher for a better view) Compatibility with 280+ Marketplace materials Compatibility with S5 project files (no reslicing needed) And a whole lot more  
        Curious to see the S7 in action?
        We’re hosting a free tech demo on February 7.
        It will be live and you can ask any questions to our CTO, Miguel Calvo.
        Register here for the Webinar
          • Like
        • 12 replies
      • UltiMaker Cura 5.3.0-Alpha 🎄 Tree Support Spotlight 🎄
        Are you a fan of tree support, but dislike the removal process and the amount of filament it uses? Then we would like to invite you to try this special release of UltiMaker Cura. Brought to you by our special community contributor @thomasrahm
         
        We generated a special version of Cura 5.2 called 5.3.0 Alpha + Xmas. The only changes we introduced compared to UltiMaker Cura 5.2.1 are those which are needed for the new supports. So keep in mind, this is not a sneak peek for Cura 5.3 (there are some really cool new features coming up) but a spotlight release highlighting this new version of tree supports.  
          • Like
        • 17 replies
      • New here? Get ahead with a free onboarding course
        Hi,
         
        Often getting started is the most difficult part of any process. A good start sets you up for success and saves you time and energy that could be spent elsewhere. That is why we have a onboarding course ready for
        Ultimaker S5 Pro Bundle, Ultimaker S5, Ultimaker S3 Ultimaker 2+ Connect.   
        They're ready for you on the Ultimaker Academy platform. All you need to do to gain access is to register your product to gain free access. 
        Ready? Register your product here in just 60 seconds.
          • Like
        • 14 replies
    ×
    ×
    • Create New...