Passing UMO on to young maker, but the thermocouple

fluxline

Posted (edited) · Passing UMO on to young maker, but the thermocouple

As the title says, I'm giving my UMO with the ultimaker heated bed to a young maker, but in getting ready I noticed the original thermocouple is not working after sitting for a year.  I measured the ohms, and it's dead Jim, not registering a temperature any more.  Not sure about the daugterboard on the original hotend but I assume it works as I'd printed something before putting it away. Ultimaker doesn't sell the original thermocouple anymore, would somebody know of an easy way to get the printer running again, with a link to where I can order a new sensor?  I've looked through earlier posts, but it seems quality sensors are hard to find, and most are suggesting replacing the daughterboard and sensor with another type, not sure f that's the best way to go. 

Thanks for any help to get this old printer running again.

Edited by fluxline

Posted · Passing UMO on to young maker, but the thermocouple

Hi,

I'm facing the same kind of problem as you... I found something interesting there: https://e3d-online.com/v6-pt100-sensor-kit

I did mot try it out yet, but will order it soon... I had a look on the specs of the kit and of the ultimaker 1.5.7 board, it should work. I contacted the resseller who said me the same. (They have no feddback of people having done it, but it should work...)

Are you sure a cable didn't get loose over time, or during moving? Do you still this small pcb on top of your printhead, in your UMO? (perhaps a picture would rule out any miscommunications). Are you talking about the heater that heats your bed, or the print head? 

On 12/6/2018 at 5:17 PM, SandervG said:

Are you sure a cable didn't get loose over time, or during moving? Do you still this small pcb on top of your printhead, in your UMO? (perhaps a picture would rule out any miscommunications). Are you talking about the heater that heats your bed, or the print head? 

I still use the original PCB, any testing point there you'd suggest? But, I thought it strange that it'd die just sitting there so I swapped to the cable intended for the planned second head and same problem.  I also measured the resistance as suggested in a previous thread that I can't find now, and it indicated it was broken. 

Any help in getting this printer working would be great, it served great prints for years and I'd like to see this younge maker get some more use out of it.

On 12/6/2018 at 4:34 PM, Curven said:

Hi,

I'm facing the same kind of problem as you... I found something interesting there: https://e3d-online.com/v6-pt100-sensor-kit

I did mot try it out yet, but will order it soon... I had a look on the specs of the kit and of the ultimaker 1.5.7 board, it should work. I contacted the resseller who said me the same. (They have no feddback of people having done it, but it should work...)

Thanks for the option, do you know if the firmware will handle it or will you need to compile your own?

1 hour ago, fluxline said:

I still use the original PCB, any testing point there you'd suggest? But, I thought it strange that it'd die just sitting there so I swapped to the cable intended for the planned second head and same problem.  I also measured the resistance as suggested in a previous thread that I can't find now, and it indicated it was broken. 

Any help in getting this printer working would be great, it served great prints for years and I'd like to see this younge maker get some more use out of it.

Ok. What I was going for was if you had an Ultimaker Original which was upgraded with a heated bed or if you bought an Ultimaker Original+? 

1 hour ago, SandervG said:

Ok. What I was going for was if you had an Ultimaker Original which was upgraded with a heated bed or if you bought an Ultimaker Original+? 

UMO Original with the Ultimaker Heated bed upgrade kit.  Bed still heats fine, it's the orginal hotend sensor that brings up the error when trying to print with Cura, and which seems to be bad when measuring the resistance.  Thanks for the help Sander.

Hi fluxline,

You can go this site, where you find how to repair the thermocouple setup in an UMO..

https://reprap.org/wiki/Ultimaker's_v1.5.7_PCB

Thanks

Torgeir.