when do changes take effect in profile?

egoaudio

Posted · when do changes take effect in profile?

Hello there,

I'm wondering if I'm doing something wrong when I change print settings within a profile. lets say I want to run some tests and see how much increasing 'Initial Layer Flow' (ILF) has an effect on my prints. So I select a profile and export a gcode file while ILF is set to 100%. then I change the ILF to 110% and save another gcode file. when I save this next gcode file, I don't change the profile, mind you, I'm not saving  the profile with new ILF setting or anything just literally upping the value of ILF to 110, processing and then saving. 

My question is, will this result in gcode that is includes the higher ILF value? or do I need to save the profile with the new value (110%) and then process and save?

I'm asking because I feel like when I make certain changes, say to 'initial layer flow, or to various speed parameters, I feel like sometimes they are executed in the gcode and sometimes they are not. For instance, I have been playing with initial layer print speed. I want to make 100% certain that the 1st layer adheres, of course, and so I'm keeping that low but at times when I'm monitoring in the beginning of a print, it seems like it's not printing the initial layer slowly at all, almost seems like it's as fast as the print speed I have set for the rest of the print.

I have my initial layer print speed set to 25mm/s because I have some sharp angles to some of the lines in my model and I want to make sure that it lays them flat and doesn't move to fast while printing which I've seen turns out like not such a sharp corner and tends to want to lift on the first layer sometimes. 

Same goes for Initial Layer Flow, I set it high on the first layer to adhere well and it usually works great. I've been playing with setting it lower and it worked out not as well, so I went back to the higher value but it does not seem like it's flowing like it did when I initially had it set higher. 

Any input will be much appreciated!

Thanks, 

Erik

You don't need to save the profile.  Saving just the gcode works fine.

flow is usually reflected in the extrusion numbers so if you look at the E value in the gcodes after the first layer is done you will see it's a higher value when you set ILF to 110%.

110% is so small it does almost nothing.  Maybe try 150%?  Personally I never miss with ILF and instead I mess with "leveling" or the distance between nozzle and glass while printing the bottom layer.  You need a good amount of squish to get it to stick well but if you are too close you can get an ugly bottom layer where it squirts out occasionally/randomly.  Not that I usually care too much.

Thanks gr5. Honestly, I'm not even worried about flow at all. I've found a happy medium and it works well. What I'm trying to dial in is the fastest prints but still with good quality and adhesion. When I set initial print speed to 25 I don't feel like it's actually setting it to 25when I generate the gcode file, first layer seems fast still much too fast. Example: in printing at 80mm/s and initial is set to 25 but it still seems like it's printing at 80. 

Are there any settings that would override initial layer print speed?