UM2+ Dual Extrusion?

Posted (edited) · UM2+ Dual Extrusion?

I may be late to the party with any discussion on this. Is there any commercial upgrade kit available, to turn a UM2+ into a dual extrusion machine? I haven't found anything but it seems like the print head is designed to take another heater block assembly. Thanks in advance.

Edited by Futz34
  • Like 1

Posted · UM2+ Dual Extrusion?
1 hour ago, Futz34 said:

Thanks guys. Xile6, where did you buy your hotend from? Yours looks different from mine with the spring setup inside.

The old style olsson block. They use to use springs. Then switch to a solid cylinder. The spring allow you to adjust the height of each nozzle.

I order them from aliexpress also done a 1.75 filament conversion. But they do sell it in 3mm also so it will be a direct swap.

3 hours ago, xile6 said:

@sanderG

Ive seen that and does look nice. Just more involved that I want to get lol.

Ok, that is fine. But if you want to modify your Ultimaker 2 to dual extrusion, and only printing a new print head housing and docking station (almost all other parts are included in the available extrusion train upgrade if I'm not mistaken)  is too much work I am afraid that you will have to significantly compromise in reliability. Making something reliably dual extrusion takes far more into account than just installing a second nozzle. 

12 minutes ago, SandervG said:

Ok, that is fine. But if you want to modify your Ultimaker 2 to dual extrusion, and only printing a new print head housing and docking station (almost all other parts are included in the available extrusion train upgrade if I'm not mistaken)  is too much work I am afraid that you will have to significantly compromise in reliability. Making something reliably dual extrusion takes far more into account than just installing a second nozzle. 

lol..

I do alot ,built over a hand full of printers modified firmwares etc... Been around since pretty much the start of them pretty much. MY printer also has some other upgrades. 1.75 filament, titan extruders, all aluminum fan shroud, octoprint.

My dual upgrade simply needed the heat block, nozzle, heater and temp sensor. Vs buying a whole new hot end and everything else.

Was simply my choice. It works just good. There is some oozing which can be dial in setting. But it does what it needs to. Never had a reliability problem. And most of the time i just use 1 nozzle. So i keep different filament in each one, so i dont have to unload and change all the time. Normally pla in one and petg in the other.

Also have a palette 2 coming which will do 4 color/materials single nozzle no oozing.

So no need for the mark2 upgrade to me. It doesnt have anything over my current setup for me.

Edited by xile6

Thanks for posting, xile6!

Your setup looks less complex that than the Mark 2 and I'm wondering how much less costly as well, perhaps.  A few questions if you don't mind.

Do you have step by step instructions and parts list?

Also, are you finding that the concerns to raise the 'not in use' nozzle height are perhaps not a major concern in practice?

Finally, have you tried printing 2 colors of nylon?

2 hours ago, Sam08861 said:

Thanks for posting, xile6!

Your setup looks less complex that than the Mark 2 and I'm wondering how much less costly as well, perhaps.  A few questions if you don't mind.

Do you have step by step instructions and parts list?

Also, are you finding that the concerns to raise the 'not in use' nozzle height are perhaps not a major concern in practice?

Finally, have you tried printing 2 colors of nylon?

Havent printed nylon but in do and have printed petg at 270c.

Basically your need two of everything.

Spring

White pfte couple

Metal coupler

Osslen block

Nozzle

Heater

Temperature sensor

motor and wiring (best to have a matching    pair)

Extruders (again matching pair)

I outputed and made my printer 1.75mm filament. (I run titan extruders) But they do sell everything in the stander 3mm size.

The firmware i use is tinkergnome. 

I took the source files and rebuild it for dual and 1.75mm filament.

For leveling the nozzle.

I tigthen the metal coupler all the way tight.

Check the bed and see which one is higher.

I.e.

If the left nozzle is touching the bed but the right isnt.

Your lossen the right metal coupler.

You do a leveling. Where you level the bed to the nozzle that is closest to it. Do this while everything is warm.

Then move the second nozzle to the same spot and level it. 

These are some aliexpress links. Do a search on there to as there are other prices and different length wiring.

Block
    https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/bWwZvjNB

Heater
    https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/b4U2H8DF

PT100 Temperature Sensos
    https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/7r4Dc7n

Edited by xile6