Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
KSSE

I have problems printing with PLA

I'm using the Ultimaker 2, and I changed the value of the printing temperature to 220°C, because it didn't print at 210°C, so all the print setup is like this:

Layer height: 0.15mm

Priting temperature: 220°C

Build Plate temperature: 60°C

Print speed: 42 mm/s

So with this values I printed the 3D Benchy, but the layers are not looking good.

20181205_122900.thumb.jpg.6bc78bb71e37d623d3fd61825d3e6640.jpg20181205_122948.thumb.jpg.a2f103a6641cac60bc5685c654c999c7.jpg

I didn't care that it looked like that, beacause at least it was printing. So I tried to print a bigger piece that was like a cone, with 180mm of the maximum diameter, but it failed at 7mm of height and stopped printing.

My next attempt was this piece, that is below, with this print setup:

Layer height: 0.15mm

Priting temperature: 230°C

Build Plate temperature: 60°C

Print speed: 30 mm/s

But it keeps priting bad quality of layers, so I don't know what can be wrong with the printer or the print setup.

20181205_130150.thumb.jpg.ba3a5e86809e382c2d5cba800dd03160.jpg 20181205_130211.thumb.jpg.4936604b62c150785ba76824c720d5c7.jpg

20181205_130211.jpg

20181205_130150.jpg

Hi and welcome!

You have probably the problem with the extrusion, like feeder, Bowden tube, clogged nozzle, PTFE coupler or something like this and you try now to compensate this with a higher temperature. 

You are printing too hot, so you should go back to normal temps for PLA and then we have to find your problem why nothing is extruded. Check first your nozzle if it is clogged or if the PTFE coupler looks strange.

• Like 1

I would not use a temp of greater than 190 with those settings. White tends to be the most problematic, if you can swap to a different filament. If it still delivers bad results then as @Smithy says maybe you have a hardware extrusion problem -probably best to do an atomic pull (plenty of posts on that in the forum)

• Like 1

If it is a standard UM2 (=non-plus), most likely you have one of the following:

- deformed white teflon coupler after a couple of 100 hours of use (-->disassemble, check, and replace if necessary),

- partially clogged nozzle (-->do atomic pulls, maybe carefully poke hole with soft needle without sharp edges (!!!) from below),

- feeder wheel covered in filament dust (-->verify and blow clean),

- filament is near the end of the spool, wound too tightly, causing huge unwinding-resistance, plus huge friction in bowden tube and nozzle (-->manually unwind a few meters, and manually straighten them).

Or a combination of these, typically worn out teflon coupler, plus filament near the end of the spool. So, verify and where necessary handle these things, and then set the default temperatures and speed again (50mm/s, 210°C nozzle, 60°C bed) and try again.

For doing gentle atomic pulls, you could have a look at my old manual here (and scroll down a bit):

https://www.uantwerpen.be/nl/personeel/geert-keteleer/manuals/

It also contains a few other tips.

• Like 1