brand new ultimaker 3, print core extruding issues

MGarrity

Posted · brand new ultimaker 3, print core extruding issues

Hi there,

We got a ultimaker 3 yesterday and I ran into an issue that I have, so far, been unable to resolve.

I am using 3mm (2.85mm) PLA and PVA wiht 0.4 AA and 0.4 BB print cores.

The PVA prints fine. The error arises with the PLA

From the I can tell the head heats fine.  The motor feeds filament up the filament tube, but once it is trying to extrude material the motor no longer turns/ filament does not extrude.  Does any one have any tips/ran into this before?

Thank you

The loading process is when the filament travels up the tube and into the nozzle Im assuming.  It feeds filament up the bowden tube, but when it heads the print head and tries to push filament through it does not come through.  

The screen says the print head is being heated please confirm when filament drips.  The filament never drips.

I have just gone through the loading process with both print heads ( 0.44 BB ) first.  That one worked fine.  

In the loading processfpr the 0.4 AA print head the head heated but it looks like the motor is not pushing filament forward as it was for the 0.4 BB printhead, and thus filament does not come through

Ok, let's try some steps:

• Unload the filament from the menu
    • Load filament from the menu again. When you put in the filament in the feeder, wait before you confirm on the display till you see the filament a little bit coming out of the feeder box. Not too much, just when the end come out into the Bowden tube. Then confirm on the menu.
    • FIlament will be transported through the tube to the head.
    • Then the motor is turning slower, but it turns and when you touch the filament at the back, just before it goes into the feeder you should feel that the filament is still moving forward.
    • Wait, it can take 10-20 seconds until filament will be extruded. (Depends how fast you pushed the confirm button before)
    • If some filament is extruded, push confirm again -> ready

I figured out the issue.  It turns out the PLA was severed in the back and it was trying to force misshapen PLA up.

I appreciated the help!

I will keep this cataloged if I run into an issue again.

Thank you!

I guess you were too fast pushing confirm after putting in the filament. This is also ok, but then it takes longer until extruded filament come out of the nozzle.

It works the way, that after feeding the filament into the feeder and press confirm, the printer moves the filament a defined way. I don't know how much, but say 25cm. Then the feeder slows down but still moves the filament forward. So if you are too early pressing confirm, the filament slows down too early and it will take longer until it reaches the hot end and the nozzle. 

On the other hand, if you press confirm too late, the filament is pushed hard against the print head, which is also not good.

So I feed the filament in the feeder and wait until I see that the filament come out on the other end of the feeder and as soon as I see it, I press confirm.

1 minute ago, MGarrity said:

I figured out the issue.  It turns out the PLA was severed in the back and it was trying to force misshapen PLA up.

I appreciated the help!

I will keep this cataloged if I run into an issue again.

Thank you!

You are welcome!

I can remember I had also some issues with loading the filament in the beginning. But you get used to it very quickly, so don't worry. And when you are more familiar with your printer, there is then also another way to load the filament which is quicker, but for the beginning, do it via the load/unload menu functions.

6 hours ago, Smithy said:

You are welcome!

I can remember I had also some issues with loading the filament in the beginning. But you get used to it very quickly, so don't worry. And when you are more familiar with your printer, there is then also another way to load the filament which is quicker, but for the beginning, do it via the load/unload menu functions.

And.... the quicker way is ?

Take care 

50 minutes ago, Shadowman said:

And.... the quicker way is ?

Heat up the print head manually then pull the lever on the feeder and pull out the filament or feed it manually to load. 

13 minutes ago, Smithy said:

Heat up the print head manually then pull the lever on the feeder and pull out the filament or feed it manually to load. 

Cool... will try it.

Thank you 

There is also a "wedge bot" you can print that you don't have to hold the lever which could be hard after a few seconds. (on the UM3, the S5 has a much better lever)