Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Posted · E-steps after reset.

Hi guys, hoping for a little help. I have an Ultimaker 2 and and Ultimaker 2+ among several others. I wanted to test out some different feeders. I installed Tinkergnomes Firmware to be able to alter the E-steps as each feeder I tried had a different gear ratio. This all worked well except I found the firmware to be too glitchy even after a factory reset before changing the firmware over. Material starting reversing half way through a print. So I decided to switch back to the original feeder and original firmware. Factory reset and installed the original firmware. Now when going through setup the material does not make it from the feeder to the print head, it only gets half way. I tied manually moving the material to the head and testing a print but it is obvious that the E-steps are wrong unless there is something else going on here. Is there a way of resetting the E-steps separately or is a factory reset supposed to do that? This is the same for the 2 and 2+, I have an Extended 2 and Extended 2+ I haven't attempted to put back to factory yet until I succeed with these two first. Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · E-steps after reset.

The factory reset should be done AFTER the firmware change, so it should be your very first action with the new firmware. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · E-steps after reset.

hmm? Ok, so went back to the original firmware and the original feeder, right?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · E-steps after reset.

And I guess you also used the correct firmware UM2 vs UM2+, because there is a difference between them.

 

Then I have currently no more idea because with the stock firmware you don't have many possibilities. And the feeder itself is ok? Maybe it is a hardware problem with the feeder and not a firmware issue with the e-steps.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · E-steps after reset.

Yes the correct firmware was used. I thought a long the same lines with the feeder possibly being the issue but I fitted it to another machine running stock firmware and all seems to be working fine. Its very confusing. I've even tried a new motor to see if that was the problem but always the same outcome. Thank you for your help though

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · E-steps after reset.

One more idea, but I don't know if it helps.

Install again Tinker FW, do a factory reset, enter the needed value for e-steps. Try it if it works.

Then install stock firmware again, do a factory reset and try again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · E-steps after reset.

I used Cura to send some G-code to the printer to calculate E-steps. I found that after extruding 100mm in extruded exactly half (50mm)

So I set the E-steps value to 738 double the preset value and the filament now looks like it will move the entire length of the bowden tube but the motor seems to be having issues. It makes a whirring sound and the filament skips as its being moved up the tube. I vaguely read somewhere about the motor settings needing changing after the e-steps value being altered but I can't for the life of me find it again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · E-steps after reset.
13 hours ago, Thirtythree3d said:

So I set the E-steps value to 738 double the preset value

 

Sounds like you are using the UM2 feeder motor with the UM2+ feeder (the UM2 motor has a step angle of 0.9 degree, the UM2+ motor 1.8 degree).

As soon as you change it back to the correct motor/feeder combination you should be back in business...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · E-steps after reset.
On 12/13/2018 at 12:54 PM, Thirtythree3d said:

Yes everything back as if it had just come out of the box.

 

Everything, except the motor? 🙂 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · E-steps after reset.
4 hours ago, Thirtythree3d said:

I did indeed have the wrong motor fitted. I replaced the motor with the correct one but the problem still exists. Any other ideas? 

 

Have you set the e-steps back to the default 369 steps/mm?

(assuming that we are still talking about an unmodified UM2+)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · E-steps after reset.

Ok I started thinking out of the box. I installed Ultimaker 2 firmware and then 2+. Then a factory reset. It now works as it it should. I'm thinking this was once an Ultimaker 2 with an official + upgrade. 

Thank you guys for all your help.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · E-steps after reset.

Thanks for following up and great that your printer is now working again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Our picks

    • Ultimaker Cura 4.0 | Stable available!
      Ultimaker Cura 4.0 is mainly focused on the improved user interface and cloud integration.
      As always, we want to collect your user feedback for this release. If there are any improvements you can think of, feel free to mention it here and help us to shape the next release.
      • 85 replies
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to the Ultimaker Community of 3D printing experts. Visit the following links to read more about our Terms of Use or our Privacy Policy. Thank you!