Jump to content
Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts

Recommended Posts

Hi guys, hoping for a little help. I have an Ultimaker 2 and and Ultimaker 2+ among several others. I wanted to test out some different feeders. I installed Tinkergnomes Firmware to be able to alter the E-steps as each feeder I tried had a different gear ratio. This all worked well except I found the firmware to be too glitchy even after a factory reset before changing the firmware over. Material starting reversing half way through a print. So I decided to switch back to the original feeder and original firmware. Factory reset and installed the original firmware. Now when going through setup the material does not make it from the feeder to the print head, it only gets half way. I tied manually moving the material to the head and testing a print but it is obvious that the E-steps are wrong unless there is something else going on here. Is there a way of resetting the E-steps separately or is a factory reset supposed to do that? This is the same for the 2 and 2+, I have an Extended 2 and Extended 2+ I haven't attempted to put back to factory yet until I succeed with these two first. Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And I guess you also used the correct firmware UM2 vs UM2+, because there is a difference between them.

 

Then I have currently no more idea because with the stock firmware you don't have many possibilities. And the feeder itself is ok? Maybe it is a hardware problem with the feeder and not a firmware issue with the e-steps.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes the correct firmware was used. I thought a long the same lines with the feeder possibly being the issue but I fitted it to another machine running stock firmware and all seems to be working fine. Its very confusing. I've even tried a new motor to see if that was the problem but always the same outcome. Thank you for your help though

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One more idea, but I don't know if it helps.

Install again Tinker FW, do a factory reset, enter the needed value for e-steps. Try it if it works.

Then install stock firmware again, do a factory reset and try again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I used Cura to send some G-code to the printer to calculate E-steps. I found that after extruding 100mm in extruded exactly half (50mm)

So I set the E-steps value to 738 double the preset value and the filament now looks like it will move the entire length of the bowden tube but the motor seems to be having issues. It makes a whirring sound and the filament skips as its being moved up the tube. I vaguely read somewhere about the motor settings needing changing after the e-steps value being altered but I can't for the life of me find it again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Thirtythree3d said:

So I set the E-steps value to 738 double the preset value

 

Sounds like you are using the UM2 feeder motor with the UM2+ feeder (the UM2 motor has a step angle of 0.9 degree, the UM2+ motor 1.8 degree).

As soon as you change it back to the correct motor/feeder combination you should be back in business...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Thirtythree3d said:

I did indeed have the wrong motor fitted. I replaced the motor with the correct one but the problem still exists. Any other ideas? 

 

Have you set the e-steps back to the default 369 steps/mm?

(assuming that we are still talking about an unmodified UM2+)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Our picks

    • Ultimaker Cura | a new interface
      We're not only trying to always make Ultimaker Cura better with the usual new features and improvements we build, but we're also trying to make it more pleasant to operate. The interface was the focus for the upcoming release, from which we would already like to present you the first glance. 
        • Like
      • 122 replies
    • "Back To The Future" using Generative Design & Investment Casting
      Designing for light-weight parts is becoming more important, and I’m a firm believer in the need to produce lighter weight, less over-engineered parts for the future. This is for sustainability reasons because we need to be using less raw materials and, in things like transportation, it impacts the energy usage of the product during it’s service life.
        • Like
      • 12 replies
×

Important Information

Welcome to the Ultimaker Community of 3D printing experts. Visit the following links to read more about our Terms of Use or our Privacy Policy. Thank you!