How to change screw dimensions in FormZ

Posted · How to change screw dimensions in FormZ

Hello,

I'm new in modeling parts I make for printing and I was recommended to use the FormZ to create and model the parts I make, since it solves the possible errors the Ultimaker Cura software would point out. I'm using the free version of FormZ and can not change one of the parts I made (part 3 of the image named connector.png), I don't know if it's due to the fact that I'm not used to the FormZ environment or if it's a restriction made by the developers in the free version of FormZ. The model I created is for my master degree thesis and has to allow an optic fiber with a 2 mm diameter to cross the 4 parts in the file connector.png from left to right. I made a prototype that works but the right screw in part 3 is too big and has too many spirals in the screw. My idea is to decrease the number of spirals in the screws I created in all the parts ( from 1 to 4) since I'm going to print in PLA filament and already saw that with the number I'm currently using part 1 gets stuck in part 2a and part 4 gets stuck in the right screw of part 3 and I can't have that happening. The other thing I wanted to do was to change the dimensions of the right screw in part 3 as I stated before because now it is too big for the hole I have in the box.

I send in attachment the picture with the parts named connector.png and a zip with the file from FormZ of the connector.

If someone can help me solve this problem I would be very grateful.

Best regards,

PTNewbie

conector.fmz.zip

connector.png

This might be a really stupid answer (or rather not an answer at all), but if you could consider using another software I have a suggestion;

I’m using Fusion 360 that’s made by autodesk. It’s free to use for personal and educational use. It’s available for Mac and PC. There you easily can make threaded bolts and nuts and what ever you like. It has a ton of different threads built in that you easily can choose from.

Best of luck!

Posted (edited) · How to change screw dimensions in FormZ

Thanks for the info TMicke and Smithy, but I'm having a bit of trouble trying to change the 3rd part in fusion 360 mainly because it doesn't appear when I open stl files I know it is included in. 😕 And when I finally discovered a file that the Fusion 360 recognizes the 3rd part I can't isolate that specific part from the others (the file in which part 3 is recognized is an older version of the prototype and I made some changes to the other parts and wouldn't want to repeat them again). Maybe if I could ungroup or unsnap all parts I could solve this problem. Can anyone help me?

Best regards,

PTNewbie

Edited by PTNewbie

Posted (edited) · How to change screw dimensions in FormZ

I don't have the language skills to explain this in detail, but you cant edit .stl files in fusion 360.

My suggestion is/was to make new parts in fusion 360. You then convert those files into .stl files.

*edit

From the looks of your picture this would be quite simple actually, and it would be a great project to get to learn fusion 360 if your up to it.

Edited by TMicke

1 hour ago, PTNewbie said:

Maybe if I could ungroup or unsnap all parts I could solve this problem

Again, I don't know the right terminology but put simply: you wont be able to edit the threads on an .stl file in any program, you would need the "master" file for this.

Did you make the model yourself in FormZ, or have you downloaded a .stl file and wishes to edit it?

5 minutes ago, TMicke said:

Again, I don't know the right terminology but put simply: you wont be able to edit the threads on an .stl file in any program, you would need the "master" file for this.

Did you make the model yourself in FormZ, or have you downloaded a .stl file and wishes to edit it?

I created the initial file in 123D design but it was afterwards debugged in formZ. The debugging wasn't made by me and I only have the final stl of the debugging phase, so the answer to your question is that I wished to edit the stl I have received after the debugging.

1 hour ago, PTNewbie said:

I wished to edit the stl I have received after the debugging.

That's not really possible or not in a way you would expect. An STL file is a mesh file and can only be edited when you convert it back. But converting doesn't mean you have all the features you had during designing, you only have the faces and that's not enough for further modifications. You can only use very basic functions, cut/combine the model, do some press pulls, make holes, fillets, but not much more. It is also damn slow due to the thousands of faces you get after the conversion.

You would need a source file, a STEP file for example, something you can import in Fusion or any other CAD software to continue designing. The STL is the end product of your workflow.

• Thanks 1