Ultimaker Cura | a new interface

SandervG

Posted · Ultimaker Cura | a new interface
1 hour ago, amagro said:

I think that is what most of the people do. 

This is my suggestion for the new interface.

Screenshot_2.jpg

I didn't get the impression that a whole lot of people use the multi-buildplate functionality.  Could be that I'm mistaken, but we hardly ever hear anyone about it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bagel-orb said:

I cannot select the layer view range any more.

That means I cannot scroll through the layers using my arrow keys anymore, while viewing a range of layers.

The functionality used to work in 3.4.1image.png.30212b79c98f857b45390b38a3733a51.png

Got partially broken in 3.5, and now the functionality is gone:image.png.a686ca001f8f003452759ddbb5de8f34.png

Dragging the layer range still works, though, but it doesn't give the same level of fine control.

Soooo make a jira ticket 😉 

2 minutes ago, nallath said:

I didn't get the impression that a whole lot of people use the multi-buildplate functionality.  Could be that I'm mistaken, but we hardly ever hear anyone about it.

When I get a STL with multiply parts and I split them up I tend to move each part to it's own buildplate so I don't forget to print all and can slice them all one by one 

My feedback on the UI:

I see that you want to streamline the workflow, but please don't sacrifice too much of the productivity for power-users.

Please see the Image for suggestions on the UI.

Most of my work with Cura is tweaking the settings to get optimal print, I would like to have a few changes to the UI: Make it possible to rescale the settings panel by dragging on the corener with the mouse, like any ordinary window

Make it possible to "snap" the settings pannel to the side of Cura main window, not have it "floating" like it currently is.

cura ui.png

• Like 2

Are the other Plug-ins also loaded to the Beta version?

I don't want to convert al my inventor models to stp first. 

Would it be possible to make a plugin so cura connects to a 3dconnection 3d mouse as well?

I personaly always like to tweak all toolbars (choose what options are visible) and be able to place them were I want them to go i.e. left, right, up or down in this way all users can use there own layouts. 

Hy, Sanders, i like the new UI, expecially the dark mode and loading times are great 😄

i have some suggestions

* Is it possible to add antialiasing to the Preview mode ?, it has lots of miroe effect

maybe adding some "glossy" effect to the lines will help the visualisation to look better (you may check craftware 😉 )

* Is it possible to implement a function to change the colors of the directly at the "color scheme" feature.

the default colore are not very good in my eyes, i instantely wanted to click on the colored checkboxes next to the line name to change the color there 😉

* is it possible to implement also a "per line" slider, not only a per layer ?

with the Per line slider also a field of showing some of the gcodes lines would be great  (you may again check craftware;) )

* loading older cura (or different slicer) gcode does not support the layerbar, the bar does only show "1" layer.

sincerely Chri

cura4_feedback_05.thumb.png.9ddfba2efb326ac7316a0fc23ec75a60.png

cura4_feedback_04.thumb.png.8bdfa0f405337f8b51ea6a102f16a064.png

cura4_feedback_03.thumb.png.8be602c72b9bb19707a3dbe77c4a5ba8.png

cura4_feedback_02.png.e004a9786bef5a7dcb59fdda359ffd7f.png

cura4_feedback_01.thumb.png.1cf6b3f320356ef319e6faa2a679c376.png

Eww, the sizing of the pics went a bit wonky, oh well.

Also, another thing I would love to see is a scalable interface. My eyes are getting worse by the year and the tiny text on a high-res monitor is getting harder and harder to read.

Something else that has been bugging me for a long time is how slooow the settings are to populate. I display all settings and use search a lot (because currently that's the easiest way to find settings) and when clearing out the filter box it takes way too long to get all the settings back again.

Similar if you click to use support for example, it takes a few seconds for the settings to show up so you can change support extruder etc. More than once I've clicked and all the settings have shifted in position as the new settings are being loaded in causing me to change something I don't want to change.

Start Cura, don't load any models, swap over to "Preview". "Auto slicing" with a full progress bar will now show in the lower right indefinitely (or until you load a model).

edit: Load a model, slice, delete it. Preview mode will still show the bar to scroll through the layers of the deleted model.

5 hours ago, dsp said:

Are the other Plug-ins also loaded to the Beta version?

I don't want to convert al my inventor models to stp first.

That's up to the people making the plugins.

5 hours ago, dsp said:

Would it be possible to make a plugin so cura connects to a 3dconnection 3d mouse as well?

Yes, but based on the previous times someone suggested it, it's not likely that we will make it.

My suggestion for much much more comfortable print settings section is:

Please make an ability to "star" (favorite) any setting and group these in one collapsible item "Favorites" on top of existing (Quality, Shell, Infill etc). This will speed up my ordinary preprint process a lot as I only tweak 1 to 10 settings located here and there... I know I can uncheck all the unused settings but I don't like to do it because I want to have access to all the settings at any time without need of using search field.

Each favorite item can have its section icon to quickly determine what section it is from:

[Favorites Icon] Favorites

[Quality Section Icon] Layer Height [0.1 mm]

[Infill Section Icon] Infill Pattern [Gyroid]

[Cooling Section Icon] Enable Print Cooling [V]

Hi,

Sorry but i REALLY dislike the new print settings placement !
    It's looks like cool ... but really hard to find the options you search
    I use a 32" 2560*1440 screen and it's look ugly

In cura 3.xx the slice preferences take a good place on the right, now, it just take more place on the screen with LESS usefull information
    I change settings many times, and have all settings expended (I like to control all) but now, i have a ridiculously small windows to see all settings 

You can stay like this, but can you please add an option to put back this slice preferences to the right or left ?

your new inteface is really cool for a beginner .... but I think it's a pain for any advanced users 

Look on the screenshot, the amount of useless screen place I have to see more options at the same time

Capture d’écran (32).png

18 hours ago, nallath said:

Yes, but based on the previous times someone suggested it, it's not likely that we will make it.

Could you explain why it is not likely? This is a feature that would make Cura much less quirky to use for everyone using a SpaceMouse (most people whose work involves modeling) - and don't forget the people who can't use a mouse normally because of a disability...

18 minutes ago, P3D said:

Could you explain why it is not likely? This is a feature that would make Cura much less quirky to use for everyone using a SpaceMouse (most people whose work involves modeling) - and don't forget the people who can't use a mouse normally because of a disability...

There are always more orders of magnitude more feature requests than there are developers/resources to actually build them. The same tends to be the case for bugs. So we are always forced to do "triage"; eg, what are the most important things that we can spend our time on and do that.

As there is (to our knowledge) a limited number of people that want/need this feature and a lot of other features where this is the case, those other features get priority. It could, of course, be that we are wrong in that assessment, but we haven't had many people asking for it.

That being said, Cura is built to be quite modular with the plugin structure, so it's definitely possible for other (third party) developers to pick this up if they want. If it works really well, we could also put that plugin in our bundled packages.

21 hours ago, IRobertI said:

Start Cura, don't load any models, swap over to "Preview". "Auto slicing" with a full progress bar will now show in the lower right indefinitely (or until you load a model).

edit: Load a model, slice, delete it. Preview mode will still show the bar to scroll through the layers of the deleted model.

I just fixed that for the next beta. Thanks for reporting it!

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited) · Ultimaker Cura | a new interface

Minor issue in dark mode with the printer icon:

image.png.5308a2dd09bcc776b09f86e4b1cfb3fe.png

Edited by bagel-orb

24 minutes ago, nallath said:

There are always more orders of magnitude more feature requests than there are developers/resources to actually build them. The same tends to be the case for bugs. So we are always forced to do "triage"; eg, what are the most important things that we can spend our time on and do that.

As there is (to our knowledge) a limited number of people that want/need this feature and a lot of other features where this is the case, those other features get priority. It could, of course, be that we are wrong in that assessment, but we haven't had many people asking for it.

That being said, Cura is built to be quite modular with the plugin structure, so it's definitely possible for other (third party) developers to pick this up if they want. If it works really well, we could also put that plugin in our bundled packages.

Thanks for the reply! One possible suggestion concerning the resources: To me, implementing SpaceMouse support looks like an ideal internship project (for, say, a semester-long internship, or if you get a good CompSci student, it should be doable over the summer). Clear project scope, the API is already there, the plugin infrastructure too...

2 hours ago, P3D said:

Thanks for the reply! One possible suggestion concerning the resources: To me, implementing SpaceMouse support looks like an ideal internship project (for, say, a semester-long internship, or if you get a good CompSci student, it should be doable over the summer). Clear project scope, the API is already there, the plugin infrastructure too...

True, but unfortunately even getting software interns is hard here.

2 hours ago, bagel-orb said:

Minor issue in dark mode with the printer icon:

image.png.5308a2dd09bcc776b09f86e4b1cfb3fe.png

It seems that one slipped through. Fixed it.

On 12/19/2018 at 7:41 AM, nallath said:

Soooo make a jira ticket 😉 

When I got home, I checked my install and was able to work the slider as I have expected it to. But, I am on a large widescreen. Win10

I've given this a quick test, and I'm not much of a fan of the new interface for several reasons:

- Information is scattered all over the place;

- buttons/drop-down menus aren't what they seem to be,

- wasted space and placement of windows is not intuitive.

Now, in more details, with the good and the bad; get a coffee or a drink, it's going to be long! 😉 There might also be some repeat of things said above.

Why is the 'View' drop-down menu so bloody wide? There's quite a lot of wasted space there, and since the menu is thin, it's easy for the mouse to wander off.

1025263446_Viewmenu.png.568f0bb9a0c4c734f5ab9409a9c20753.png

It would be nice if we could choose the size of the font used in CURA, and everything in the interface would scale along with it.

Also, sometimes the dropdown menu will disappear if the mouse wanders off, sometimes it won't, for some strange and unknown reason...

The 'Marketplace' drop-down menu is quite useless, and we got a 'Marketplace' button already on the other side of the interface. I'd keep the button on the right side and remove it altogether from the top bar.

Marketplace.thumb.png.09adbccc466218743edeabedba1c496f.png

The 'Preferences' drop-down suffers from a similar problem. It's two click instead of one to bring up the pop-up. Could you have the drop-down from 'Preferences' give us direct link to the tabs of the pop-up, ie clicking on the 'Preferences' would bring a drop-down menu with 'General', 'Settings', etc, and clicking on them would give us the corresponding tab directly?

Kudos for putting all the available settings for the various Materials in one easy place in the Marketplace pop-up. Great idea.

The list of add-ons that are installed is confusing because it does not adhere to one standard for showing up what is installed and what isn't: if the box is checked, I guess it means it's installed, so why are other add-ons grayed out with an unchecked box yet I have an 'Uninstall' button next to them? 🤔 I am confused.

add-ons.thumb.png.7b1b336292fde693ca8b68acdc68a5a1.png

Also, one suggestion since I just realized that: maybe have the add-ons indicate for what version they're for? As you can see on the picture above, I have two 'Blender Integration' add-on, and I have no idea if I can remove the oldest one, going by version number, or not, since I still have Cura 3.4 on my computer just in case of a bug on 3.6 or later versions.

The deep blue bar at the top with the 'Prepare', 'Preview' and 'Monitor' buttons is taking up useless space. It would be better to put those three buttons on the side on top of each other. Put them on the right side, just above the 'Print Settings' window.

We cannot resize the windows, be it the 'Print Settings' one of the 'Marketplace', except for the 'Preferences' pop-up.

There is a notable delay between clicking on a setting and having the whole menu appear. I'd say about twice longer than with 3.6 or 3.4.

Some more remarks in picture form:

Interface.thumb.png.8349926a3a98a19c521aa21931fd5992.png

The dark gray bar at the top is mostly useless and wastes screen space but also forces us to do extra click to set up our cores, which is very annoying in the long run when you're testing things, changing materials and cores to evaluate print times and cost and try to determine the best ratio between those. Please put the settings for the print cores ('Enabled', 'Material' and 'Print Core') back into the 'Print Settings' window where it was before.

About pricing calculation, even when hovering over the 'i' button, CURA will not calculate the total cost as it did in previous versions.

Centering that gray bar is a bad idea:

centering.thumb.png.c59371417611a46bee57435da91c6138.png

The Cura icon is removed from the tray when Cura is closed, and there's no lingering Cura process in the system, thanks for fixing this.

• Like 1

Pause at Height works as expected.

I wrote after the release of Cura 3.5 about how extremely slow it runs on my Mac Pro with 10.11.6 (el capitan).
    Today I did a system update to 10.13.6 (High Sierra). Now Cura 3.6 runs again fast and without problems.
    So you should update the system requirements, because it says MacOS version 10.10 as the system requirement. 

++ralf

Hi,

Great update!

I think that custom supports is a very desired feature, like this addon:

http://lokspace.eu/cura-custom-supports-plugin/

https://github.com/lokster/cura-custom-supports

It would be great if Cura had this native feature.

Posted (edited) · Ultimaker Cura | a new interface

Hello,

Here are some of my thoughts:

I also agree that the settings window should be resizable - I'm using a UHD 40" monitor and I can say that window is tiny as the screen size/resolution goes up.

I liked the old Cura post processing icon which was next to the prepare button, that's gone now and I'll miss it.

I also notice that the tooltips on the move/resize etc. left hand icons are gone, not so good for a beginner.

On a large screen those left hand icons which are now in the vertical center of the screen make them very distant from the menus, and anything else really.

Using the full-screen option works once, but gives my machine a back screen when exiting (I need to use Alt-F4 to close Cura and send my machine to sleep and wake again before the screen comes back).  The short-cut function key is the same.

Edited by Guest

I was going to test this but it appears the Z-Offset plugin in the marketplace can not be enabled in 4.0.0 yet.  I assume th plugin needs to be updated or maybe the marketplace just doesn't work yet.  I depend on Z-Offset.