Ultimaker Cura | a new interface

SandervG

Posted · Ultimaker Cura | a new interface

It's not that hard to disable the perspective, all we have to do is re-implement the zoom bit. It's on the back log. I've direct all the requests I've seen about it to our product owner, but in the end, it's up to him to give it a high priority (or not of course).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If it's not hard, then I guess why not.

Still not sure of the real use though, I tend to disable perspective on my modeling software, then just export the model as stl to CURA, changing scale and orientation as needed before printing.

Sometimes a user may be pulling in things from disparate sources or positioning. Here is a good example.

creepy021719.thumb.jpg.af28dce1e253e5b5da91057fd8ea485d.jpg

So, to maximize space, it is good to take all these pieces from this type of source, without making a separate file, and gang them up for printing. I spend a good bit of time circling around the buildplate to make sure they do not interpenetrate.

I do have it set to not avoid models' bounding box so I can fill voids when needed or possible.

• Thanks 1

On 12/18/2018 at 7:25 AM, SandervG said:

We're not only trying to always make Ultimaker Cura better with the usual new features and improvements we build, but we're also trying to make it more pleasant to operate. The interface was the focus for the upcoming release, from which we would already like to present you the first glance. 

Because we're still working towards the stable version we would really like to receive your feedback! Do realize it's an early beta version and we can't guarantee the same print reliability as our stable versions.

preview-mode.thumb.jpg.3cd4f12743f844cb30dadb1de3efdeca.jpg

So, what is new exactly with Ultimaker Cura's new interface?

- Based on user research we've build a smoother, more logical workflow

- New user account control panel for plugins that need a login (like Cura backups)

- Quick and easy access to the Marketplace

The workflow

In the new UI you can find three steps in the header: Prepare, Preview and Monitor. 

Prepare is where you configure your settings or profile, Preview shows you the layer preview and time specifications and in Monitor you can send and monitor your print via Cura Connect. 

The header contains of collapsible panels that don't take up any space or distractions when you are not using them. 

User accounts and Marketplace

The Marketplace has received a more prominent location in the interface, because we believe this will be of great value in the future. We've also integrated a new module for user account control, which some plugins require as the Cura Backup plugin you may already use. And more will follow in 2019 🙂

Curious to give it a try? Download it here.

And when you have, please let us know what you think below 🙂

Have mentioned this in another post the Autodesk inventor plugin seems to be missing from the marketplace. Since I installed it into 3.5 it says that it installed but cura 4 beta can open an IPT file

On 2/19/2019 at 9:34 PM, jclapiz said:

Have mentioned this in another post the Autodesk inventor plugin seems to be missing from the marketplace. Since I installed it into 3.5 it says that it installed but cura 4 beta can open an IPT file

The developer of the Autodesk-plugin has to update the plugin to be compatible with Cura 4.0

I just noticed what I would consider a 'glitch' in the support implementation.

In this image, there are some holes that would need support (A). But, it creates a large amount of support structure that should not be there (B) below those holes. This is a massive increase in material (well, not on this model, but could be if the holes were across the whole side). This is also an increase in time spent printing. The actual overhang of the model does not change, so this area is only there because of the holes it is seeing to support.

SupportIssue.thumb.jpg.1666d0818f5c81a77d9cdba1769fd4bc.jpg

Acknowledgement: This is a model that someone wanted me to look at.

• Thanks 1

The only thing that I find disappointing about the new UI is that it appears not to react to any kind of touch-screen input. Or is there a way to enable that?

Yea.  I stopped using the feature because of it.  It was causing too many issues with top layers being thinner than they should be which caused them to not look as good.  It sounds like it is a big change to fix it though based on previous comments by people familiar with the Cura code.  On the bright side though...  Gyroid infil is working really well... especially if you increase the infill line width to 0.5mm for a 0.4mm nozzle to give the infill a little extra thickness.

just found is out cura 4 beta 2. How to have notification about new release ? the checker inside cura 4 beta 1 tell nothing about...

16 minutes ago, marcottt said:

just found is out cura 4 beta 2. How to have notification about new release ? the checker inside cura 4 beta 1 tell nothing about...

Probably because it is not an official release.....

I have a problem with prime tower. 
    i made a test with the simple traffic cone, with 2 color red and grey. 
    When i'm in the red zone, the prime tower still make a huge use of grey material, and (another problem) after it use a small and insufficient area of red to purge. 
    why this ? and also why prime tower of 20x20 mm is more or less empty ?  

thanks

image.thumb.png.6d035c2cf38660e879a0cd5ed25f6d24.png

4 hours ago, marcottt said:

why this ?

I think this behavior started at 3.6. I had a hard time understanding it too. But it makes sense after you realize if two material interleaving with each other, the adhesion tendency will not as strong as one. So Cura chooses to use one material always printing a shell for the tower, so it will not break during print. For support materials like PVA, this makes sense, and for dual color prints, for most of the time, each layer will have two colors so it also makes sense. The only problem is where things like a traffic cone, which different colors printed in different layers. I think this is a small price to pay...since the original behavior is to print different colors alternatively in each layer. And in this case, it will make the tower even weaker.

4 hours ago, alexjx said:

I think this behavior started at 3.6. I had a hard time understanding it too. But it makes sense after you realize if two material interleaving with each other, the adhesion tendency will not as strong as one. So Cura chooses to use one material always printing a shell for the tower, so it will not break during print. For support materials like PVA, this makes sense, and for dual color prints, for most of the time, each layer will have two colors so it also makes sense. The only problem is where things like a traffic cone, which different colors printed in different layers. I think this is a small price to pay...since the original behavior is to print different colors alternatively in each layer. And in this case, it will make the tower even weaker.

Hello, sorry but in this case it is a big problem, because after having done the normal red layer, it starts to purge with gray (and this is a waste of time and material ...); at the end red charge again but the red purge is too little and not enought and therefore the print is dirty with gray.
    It seems strange to me that Cura manages to do much more complex things and can not handle this thing.

I am preparing my first PP print (UM Brand) and the tool tip says to use glue. The online printing tips say to use a PP based packing tape or adhesion sheets.

I checked with someone and they confirmed packing tape. This can cause confusion. Thought you should know.PPToolTip.jpg.26b9b2f2369292c62baab24f914b2170.jpg

Glue is ok for small prints with PP, I did some tests. Adhesion sheets or something alike for big pieces.

Posted (edited) · Ultimaker Cura | a new interface
    34 minutes ago, Brulti said:

Glue is ok for small prints with PP, I did some tests. Adhesion sheets or something alike for big pieces.

Maybe the message should just be more inclusive so there is no disparity between online and in Cura?

Edited because I cannot type worth a damn these days....

Edited by kmanstudios
    • Like 1

Upgrading form Beta 1 to Beta 2 dumped my custom printer definition and all custom materials. This is .. disappointing. And quite a bit of work. Are they still lurking around somewhere by any chance? Windows.

I'm not clear on what major changes have occured with V4, but the UI seems to be a step backwards to me. My biggest sticking point is the profile menu on the right. in V3.6 it uses the entire vertical space, but I can't see a way to  make V4 do this.

ScreenClip.png

Beta 2 will let you do this.

The lay flat option is not working properly.
    part is getting attached to the bottom of build plate.
    Screenshot attached

Ultm.PNG

3 hours ago, 3DPKERALA said:

The lay flat option is not working properly.
    part is getting attached to the bottom of build plate.
    Screenshot attached

Ultm.PNG

Tested it out. It seems on my installation (4.0 Beta 2) it 'holds' the z position once aligning to the flat surface. This was consistent wherever I put it. In this case, I moved it above the plate.

Layflat.jpg.9b8e7bd01f6a48c200bd0f9776b4156a.jpg

maybe not the most pressing issue, but garbled text when printing from Fusion (long file names).

image.thumb.png.b4f7c87743c87c2e469ca0829d95c422.png

For those of you who don't know, a second beta became available recently. Click the 'download beta' link to check it out. https://ultimaker.com/en/products/ultimaker-cura-software