Ultimaker Cura | a new interface

SandervG

Posted · Ultimaker Cura | a new interface
47 minutes ago, maht said:

For those of you who don't know, a second beta became available recently. Click the 'download beta' link to check it out. https://ultimaker.com/en/products/ultimaker-cura-software

Would be great if you could call it "Cura 4.0 (beta2)". Checked your website for a new version about every 1-2 weeks and only got known of a new version by newly reported bugs on Github.

Additionally, on the "View all versions" page it still mentions "Release date: Dec 18, 2018". That's not correct.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, thopiekar said:

Would be great if you could call it "Cura 4.0 (beta2)". Checked your website for a new version about every 1-2 weeks and only got known of a new version by newly reported bugs on Github.

Additionally, on the "View all versions" page it still mentions "Release date: Dec 18, 2018". That's not correct.

This is a bit of an unusual case for us as we generally will only do 1 beta per release, and the website architecture only allows 1 beta at a time. Some new stuff is in the works on this front, but I don't expect we'll make a habit of multi-beta releases.

Good spot on the date - I've updated that. Apologies for any confusion.

Oh, ok. Didn't know that there are restrictions on this. Question is always how often multi-beta release occur and how often it will happen in the future. Guess it's a special case at the moment, because a lot of things are changing from 3.x to 4.x.

Never mind 🙂 It is not like it burned a lot of time 😉

• Like 1

Excellent job :)

I try and I see that is much faster then early version 3.6 :) I like it. Also On the first print and when it is finished cura is down and I am sending you info about it.

On 1/22/2019 at 7:19 AM, ahoeben said:

@Asger-P you could try my plugin, which restores the notion of a sidebar and rearranges some other functionality:

Thank you for making this.

How sad this is that a Plug In is required to give users back basic functionality the program has had for years 

• Like 1

+1 to the sidebar creator. The original UI was perfect in it's simplicity and functionality IMHO. The new one seems to be different for the sake of being different, and takes away space. This sidebar plugin is fantastic!

• Like 1
    • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, LePaul said:

Thank you for making this.

How sad this is that a Plug In is required to give users back basic functionality the program has had for years 

Is it? I mean, we originally had a lot of people hating the newer look of Cura vs 15.04 😉

I'm not saying that the new UI is better or perfect in any way, but is it really needed to word is this negatively?

I would take it as a compliment that users care about the product that passionately. Feedback is important to any project, and  you have to be able to take the good with the bad.

On 12/20/2018 at 9:47 AM, Chris1 said:

My feedback on the UI:

I see that you want to streamline the workflow, but please don't sacrifice too much of the productivity for power-users.

Please see the Image for suggestions on the UI.

Most of my work with Cura is tweaking the settings to get optimal print, I would like to have a few changes to the UI: Make it possible to rescale the settings panel by dragging on the corener with the mouse, like any ordinary window

Make it possible to "snap" the settings pannel to the side of Cura main window, not have it "floating" like it currently is.

cura ui.png

• Like 2

7 hours ago, nallath said:

Is it? I mean, we originally had a lot of people hating the newer look of Cura vs 15.04 😉

I'm not saying that the new UI is better or perfect in any way, but is it really needed to word is this negatively?

You perceive it as negativity, which is sad because you said you wanted feedback...and if we offer it, you don't want it?  🙂

Simply stated, the interface wastes a tremendous amount of space, is very awkward for an experienced Cura user to find the basics and...well, the list goes on.  But you'd take that as negative versus constructive feedback.

• Like 1

You can look at the situation like it is “sad” that you need a plugin to restore the GUI to what you are used to, or you can look at it as “great” that it is now possible to even make such a plugin. 

It was not possible to charge the GUI to this extent in 3.6 in a plugin, but it is in 4.0. Now you have a choice, which you did not have before.

• Like 3

The biggest issue I have with the new layout is that it takes away from the top, where on most monitors, it is needed.

Almost all monitors these days, whether laptop or desktop, are wide screen.  Sure, some power users will rotate their desktop monitors so it is in 'Portrait' mode, but the default is 'Landscape'.  If you have external monitors with rotating mounts, this works ok.  But the vast majority of laptop users don't have that option.  And with most printers working in height vs width (Ultimaker printers included), this is crucial.  When I fire up 4.0b, I lose half of my layout area, partially because of the top area, partially because the bottom plate is a third of the way up the screen.

Having said that, if the decision of the developers is to go with this new layout, then as users, we will work around it (via plugins if need be) to make it work better for us.  But I do agree with the comment about making changes for the sake of change.  Look at the past in software development and review the UI changes across applications and operating Systems (even within the Windows world) and ask yourself how many of these changes were really beneficial (Windows program groups in 3.1 vs start menu in Windows 95 and up) vs  new UI because we can (Microsoft BOB, Windows 8.1, Office Ribbon, etc).

Even in the Linux world (where I live and breath), we go through these changes.  Sometimes they work out (KDE), sometimes you feel the full wrath of your community (Gnome2 -> Gnome3 or Unity), although working with the community together can help iron out the kinks (both Gnome3 and Unity grew to be well liked).

Don't take this as 'I hate everything about Cura changes', because if I did, I would have stayed on one version a long time ago (and wouldn't give feedback either way).  Just me stating an opinion, partially backed with real world information.

Cura 4.0 on Ubuntu.png

You know what would be extremely useful? If Cura would provide a way to instruct the printer to stall and pause at a defined layer. This way one could truly implement multi-material composite printing. As an example, I have a complex print that requires Tough PLA and a Hytrel gasket. However, it also requires PVA as a support. With a dual extrusor, this cannot be accomplished. However, if I could pause the printer in a controlled manner (say, at layer 124 or something), I could print the lower piece with Hytrel and the upper with PLA by replacing the material in Extruser #1, and leave the PVA in Extrusor #2.

1 hour ago, aag said:

If Cura would provide a way to instruct the printer to stall and pause at a defined layer.

That is what the 'Pause at Height" plugin is for.

• Like 1
    • Thanks 1

Posted (edited) · Ultimaker Cura | a new interface
    25 minutes ago, kmanstudios said:

That is what the 'Pause at Height" plugin is for.

And where do you find that ?

I cant see it in the marketplace in cura 4.0

Found it under: Post processing -> Modify G-Code -> Add a script

Edited by Asger-P

4 minutes ago, Asger-P said:

And where do you find that ?

I cant see it in the marketplace in cura 4.0

Found it under: Post processing -> Modify G-Code -> Add a script

Cool....I have not tried it in the 4.0 Beta 2 version, but it really is nice when you want to do a variety of operations such as you describe, or dropping things in for /print in place, etc.

Glad you found it!

Remember, it stays active in slice operations until you deactivate it. Even if you are doing a new slice. Found this out when I started a new print (after using it in another print AFTER using it in the previous print) when I was just about asleep and heard the printer pause.

CuraBeta.jpg

Maybe tools can be fit in the one line it will save some space :) Something like that.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, ahoeben said:

You can look at the situation like it is “sad” that you need a plugin to restore the GUI to what you are used to, or you can look at it as “great” that it is now possible to even make such a plugin. 

It was not possible to charge the GUI to this extent in 3.6 in a plugin, but it is in 4.0. Now you have a choice, which you did not have before.

This. I'm not against negative feedback. Far from it. But the wording of things matter.

One suggestion I think I would like to see is to make the settings panel a fly-out from the side, and that I could adjust the width of the panel.  Or at the least, I think the settings panel could be narrower.

Wayne

There is a scaling bug in Cura 4.0

When you use 125% font size on windows the settings panel are not scaled correctly, the font is smaller then in 3.6.

You don't need to increase the item height, but I would prefer that the font was bigger.
    Picture shows 3.6 to the left an 4.0 to the right (windows 7 pro 120DPI)

Thanks in advance

Asger

CuraSettingsPanel.png

1 hour ago, Asger-P said:

the font is smaller then in 3.6

This seems to have been a deliberate choice as part of the redesign.

20 hours ago, ahoeben said:

This seems to have been a deliberate choice as part of the redesign.

That is sad, as there is plenty of room in the items for a larger font, much easier for the eyes.

• Like 1

hiwdo I use the support blocker?