Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
Capsaicin

CuraEngine slicing for Ultimaker S5

Hello guys,

I'm working on a project where we want to do automated slicing via command line with an Ultimaker S5.

As we are using an Ultimaker we decided to use CuraEngine for slicing.

I managed to get some basic slicing running, using the ultimaker_s5.def.json configuration file as well as the s5 extruder definitions.

When I try to print the created gcode (a simple calibration cube in this case), the S5 greys out the file and displays "Something is wrong with this file".

-> I will attach the not woking gcode (output.gcode) to this post, as well as the gcode I get out of Cura GUI (working_GUI.gcode).

Does anyone know what to do to get printable gcode for the S5 out of CuraEngine?

Any help would be VERY much appreciated!

output.gcode

working_GUI.gcode

Okay, I did a bit of testing and found out, that the issue is that the print time and both extruder trains have to be included.

The Cura GUI includes

;PRINT.TIME:2650

;EXTRUDER_TRAIN.0.INITIAL_TEMPERATURE:215
;EXTRUDER_TRAIN.0.MATERIAL.VOLUME_USED:4355
;EXTRUDER_TRAIN.0.MATERIAL.GUID:03f24266-0291-43c2-a6da-5211892a2699
;EXTRUDER_TRAIN.0.NOZZLE.DIAMETER:0.4
;EXTRUDER_TRAIN.0.NOZZLE.NAME:AA 0.4
;EXTRUDER_TRAIN.1.INITIAL_TEMPERATURE:100
;EXTRUDER_TRAIN.1.MATERIAL.VOLUME_USED:764
;EXTRUDER_TRAIN.1.MATERIAL.GUID:fe15ed8a-33c3-4f57-a2a7-b4b78a38c3cb
;EXTRUDER_TRAIN.1.NOZZLE.DIAMETER:0.4
;EXTRUDER_TRAIN.1.NOZZLE.NAME:BB 0.4

As soon as i insert these line into the header of the gcode created by CuraEngine the S5 accepts the file.

So this raises two questions:

1. How do I set BOTH Extruder Trains in CuraEngine (I don't really understand which setting has to be set in which xxx.def.json to configure it properly)
  2. How do I include the print time in CuraEngine?

Thanks for any help in advance!

Edited by Capsaicin

You don't have to set both extruders. This is only required if the print actually needs both extruders.
The print time is a required field, so that's probably the culprit.

Right now, the engine isn't really designed to be run as a stand alone. Quite a bit of the business logic is still within the frontend. We're looking to change that, but it will probably take quite some time to do that.

Just now, nallath said:

You don't have to set both extruders. This is only required if the print actually needs both extruders.
The print time is a required field, so that's probably the culprit.

Right now, the engine isn't really designed to be run as a stand alone. Quite a bit of the business logic is still within the frontend. We're looking to change that, but it will probably take quite some time to do that.

Is the print time used for any other purpose than visualization and processing of used material? If not it could be just inserted afterwards with some random value...