Aluminum build plate update

SandervG

Posted · Aluminum build plate update
2 hours ago, jkcz said:

Our second S5 (Feb 2020) came with 2 glass plates in the box.

Ahh ok, thanks for the information!

So in that case @Jman15x I would contact the reseller about it.

That is not entirely correct I think. It mostly depends on if you buy an Ultimaker S5 R1 or R2, which was released early this year. The rational is that we wanted to compensate our users who bought an Ultimaker S5 with the promise of the aluminum bed. Obviously, as soon as it became painfully clear we weren't going to be able to realise that we removed it from all marketing assets. So everyone has an accurate understanding of what it is they are buying. When we Ultimaker S5 R2 was released, some time passed where it was stripped from all marketing assets so we felt the compensation was no longer necessary, because people weren't buying it anymore with the idea of getting an aluminum buildplate. The Ultimaker S5 R2 can be most easily recognised by the U on the side, instead of the Ulti-bot. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited) · Aluminum build plate update
    3 hours ago, SandervG said:

That is not entirely correct I think. It mostly depends on if you buy an Ultimaker S5 R1 or R2, which was released early this year. The rational is that we wanted to compensate our users who bought an Ultimaker S5 with the promise of the aluminum bed. Obviously, as soon as it became painfully clear we weren't going to be able to realise that we removed it from all marketing assets. So everyone has an accurate understanding of what it is they are buying. When we Ultimaker S5 R2 was released, some time passed where it was stripped from all marketing assets so we felt the compensation was no longer necessary, because people weren't buying it anymore with the idea of getting an aluminum buildplate. The Ultimaker S5 R2 can be most easily recognised by the U on the side, instead of the Ulti-bot. 

Thanks for the reply. I contacted my reseller and he said it was only for the early customers without any mention of the R1 vs R2. Our machine is the R1 (with the robot on the side) but it only shipped with one build plate. It was also ordered as a pro bundle, not sure if that makes a difference. 

Edited by Jman15x

4 minutes ago, Jman15x said:

Thanks for the reply. I contacted my reseller and he said it was only for the early customers without any mention of the R1 vs R2. Our machine is the R1 (with the robot on the side) but it only shipped with one build plate. 

Thank you for your response. I guess we're saying the same. Perhaps my framework of drawing the line between R1 and R2 left some room for R1 machines sold later, which would still qualify for a sale without a misconception of receiving an aluminum build plate. Which seems to be correct, since you mention in your first post you just stumbled upon this topic. 

Please let me know if I am seeing this wrong and we can obviously look towards a resolution. Have a great day,

1 hour ago, SandervG said:

Thank you for your response. I guess we're saying the same. Perhaps my framework of drawing the line between R1 and R2 left some room for R1 machines sold later, which would still qualify for a sale without a misconception of receiving an aluminum build plate. Which seems to be correct, since you mention in your first post you just stumbled upon this topic. 

Please let me know if I am seeing this wrong and we can obviously look towards a resolution. Have a great day,

I'm not the one who actually made the purchase I'm just the engineer they put in charge of using it. We definitely were under the impression that we could use either build plate. Though of course, being brand new to 3D printing there were 1,000 other things to consider and learn about so I just grew accustomed to using the single glass build plate. However, seeing this thread definitely made me realize the benefits of having a secondary build plate. Especially since there is already a small scratch in our first one. 

4 hours ago, Jman15x said:

I'm not the one who actually made the purchase I'm just the engineer they put in charge of using it. We definitely were under the impression that we could use either build plate. Though of course, being brand new to 3D printing there were 1,000 other things to consider and learn about so I just grew accustomed to using the single glass build plate. However, seeing this thread definitely made me realize the benefits of having a secondary build plate. Especially since there is already a small scratch in our first one. 

I got a few glass plates cut to fit but they aren't as accurate or as chip resistant as the originals. By the way, the first plate from our first S5 is still relatively chip free while the 2 plates that came with our second S5 chipped within the first couple months while actually seeing less prints and using mostly PLA. Both our printers are R1's and I'm still upset that I couldn't even get a glass plate as compensation, I don't know if it's just my retailer being sticky or acting on orders from Ultimaker. Not sure what new ones cost, probably not crazy expensive but still was a bit misleading.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, jkcz said:

I got a few glass plates cut to fit but they aren't as accurate or as chip resistant as the originals. By the way, the first plate from our first S5 is still relatively chip free while the 2 plates that came with our second S5 chipped within the first couple months while actually seeing less prints and using mostly PLA. Both our printers are R1's and I'm still upset that I couldn't even get a glass plate as compensation, I don't know if it's just my retailer being sticky or acting on orders from Ultimaker. Not sure what new ones cost, probably not crazy expensive but still was a bit misleading.

That's annoying. Sounds like I am out of luck then. The replacement plates are $35 plus shipping so I could just buy another one but its more the principle of the matter that bothers me. 

20 hours ago, Jman15x said:

That's annoying. Sounds like I am out of luck then. The replacement plates are $35 plus shipping so I could just buy another one but its more the principle of the matter that bothers me. 

I understand. Obviously we can't extend such a compensation or offer indefinitely and at some point it ends. Wherever that line is, it is always unfortunate for those just on the other side of it. I'll send you a DM to follow up. 

Hi Sander
    Will you contact me as well, I never received the compensation plate either.

27 minutes ago, NBull said:

Hi Sander
    Will you contact me as well, I never received the compensation plate either.

Hi, it is possible you (and maybe others) didn't 'receive' the compensation, because the point I was trying to make earlier was that not everyone is automatically entitled to receiving it. It depends on the timing and conditions of when you purchased your Ultimaker S5. If you can let me know in a DM when and where you bought your Ultimaker S5, I can check some things for you. Thanks, 

On 11/4/2020 at 3:01 PM, SandervG said:

Hi, it is possible you (and maybe others) didn't 'receive' the compensation, because the point I was trying to make earlier was that not everyone is automatically entitled to receiving it. It depends on the timing and conditions of when you purchased your Ultimaker S5. If you can let me know in a DM when and where you bought your Ultimaker S5, I can check some things for you. Thanks, 

We purchased our first S5 in July of 2019, in general should a second glass plate have been provided at least up till that date? Has anyone received a glass plate as compensation after that date?

Hi, thank you for your message. There was a reasonable period until which glass plates were available for compensation. That period has ended and we are no longer distributing free glass plates. I will leave the topic open in case there is a continuous need for a discussion, but do so knowing that free glass plates are no longer distributed. Thank you, 

Hi Sander

I just wanna know if i can expect an reply on my DM or i should interpret this (above) as the reply.

1 hour ago, NBull said:

Hi Sander

I just wanna know if i can expect an reply on my DM or i should interpret this (above) as the reply.

I didn't see your DM, apologies. I thought you haven't sent it yet. I will take a look now. 

Hi Sander,
    I am seeking for an aluminum build plate for Ultimaker S5.
    Is there a place I can purchase?

The aluminum plate was canceled as you can see in the first post of this thread. Therefore you can also not buy it anywhere.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Smithy said:

The aluminum plate was canceled as you can see in the first post of this thread. Therefore you can also not buy it anywhere.

OK. Original thread was written in 2018 so I thought we have aluminum plate option by now...
    Thank you so much

No unfortunately, the development was stopped completely because no consistent results could be achieved.

• Like 1

I know this post is old, but anyways.

We print all high temp thermoplastics on machined ALU- plates that are machined to fit the ultimakers. 

Cast & machined plates that is. 

• Like 1