My Ultimaker has arrived...let the build begin!

LePaul

Posted · My Ultimaker has arrived...let the build begin!

Now one question

I bought the second extruder option. Should I still build it into the machine (modifying the assembly some) and just not use it until I am ready to? Or simply build the kit with the single extruder?

I am debating the merits of taking the Ultimaker apart multiple times.

Paul

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Pauls-R2-D2/433737735192

Well, the hot end in my opinion is the easiest to assemble and disassemble because there are no pressed parts aside from the self-lubricating bearings. I honestly think it would be easier to assemble them both at once. If it were me, I would just leave the brass nozzle off of the second hot end so it stays out of the way while I got used to just having one hot end.

i agree with aaron. Put the head together with both. Leave brass nozzle off. Never insert filament into second head until you get the nozzle back on.

Well I started the painting...1/3 water-based latex paint, 2/3 water. Got one side done and love it. This diluted, the run lines will wipe off with ease later.

After years of working with aluminum on my R2-D2's, I forgot how fun it is to sit with a paint brush and paint wood. I re-did a few spots (namely the front face) since I wanted that to look especially nice.

No, the paint color isn't "pumpkin head", its actually called "Pumpkin Custard". At Lowes you can get a 1 pint sample for $2.49 and this is way more than I will need.

I almost went with yellow, since I really thought it would be fun to have that "tonka truck" yellow color on this. But the orange on another Ulimaker I saw in a video really impressed me.

gallery_536_202_114293.jpg

love the color !!!

Ian :-)

ps. put together the dual head as the guys said.

you can always tweak it later to perfection! and having the dual setup wont harm your beautiful single color prints !! :-)

Very nice color. Perhaps it is also a cool idea to paint the robot on the front in a slightly different color :)

I took a picture of a print i made during the weekend, single extrusion but with dual set up.

It definitely did not effect the print quality, so you should have no worries there.

I will probably post the photo later day.

I think dark green would be perfect for the etched robot

Well today is build day.

My R2-D2 is watching from the side...projector going...(don't mind the couch the cats have killed)

gallery_536_202_43431.jpg

When you are assembling, just make sure you glance at the pictures, then examine them, and then examine them again. This sounds redundant but some things happen in the pics that don't happen in the text. Speaking from experience, it will save you a load of time not to miss some little nuance depicted in the pictures.

Noted! Having a friend help build is a great second set of eyes too

Nice to see a fellow R2Builder joining the Ultimaker party :)

Well so far today we have made it thru to where we installed the axis rods (why do they called these AXES?) Upon having to rely on the wiki for instructions, the grammar needs a lot of work.

Section 1.2 and the installation of the axis rods is vague, which end do we start? When is the pulley added?

Perhaps its time for a break.

Is there better pictures to show how to get the axis and pulleys installed? The pictures in the wiki show no detail (front, left, right?) and we are somewhat stuck trying to figure out how to proceed

Its as if whoever wrote the instructions just gave up on this section. We had really good writing up until this point.

Questions we have...

We know we have four AXIS

What is extremely vague is the order of pictures that show, well, nothing pertinent.

We are looking to see what sides get pulleys and which do not.

Please go here http://wiki.ultimaker.com/Ultimaker_rev.4_assembly:_X-Y_axes

And review Step 4.

And also, if the pictures could show "Front view' "Side View" and the sort would be enormously helpful. You post a lot of pictures but no captions or highlights of what one is seeing...or should look for.

We're quitting for the night, very disappointed we couldn't get beyond this

As someone who does technical writing for years in software, try to understand my frustration :)

It has been over a year and a half since I build mine. I think the order is right. If you read the steps carefully and follow them literally, I think you will have success. Indeed, it is always a good time to take a break when things start to not flow smoothly. If not, this is when things get broken and when mistakes are made. Next time with a fresh approach it should work well.

Remember, not everyone in the UM world has English as their first language. This may explain some grammar errors.

Matt

Axes is plural. As in two axes. Axis is singular as in one axis.

The plural of Axe and the plural of Axis are both spelt the same but pronounced differently.

It is not pronounced axe-es (as in more than one Axe), but Axe-ees.

Question on the tray...the left side...I haven't tightened it all the way...but it doesn't go flush...does this look right?

gallery_536_202_108543.jpg

To answer your question about the print bed platform: yes, that is how it is supposed to look.

Regarding the confusion with the classification of the axes, no, they were not wrong. There is more than one axis (axis rod) included, therefor, they are axes. I agree that they could have clarified it by calling them axis rods. I believe that would have made much more sense.

And about your confusion about the pulleys. They don't clarify the side of the the machine and which axis they are describing because they are almost identical. And if you make a mistake, it is as easy as sliding the rod out a bit and adding/removing pulleys to fix it. The pulley set-up should mirror itself on each side. I have found that you in a way have to reason with the directions. You cannot always follow it step by step.

Hope that helps. Good luck.

Well I am used to going step by step since that's what the directions are all about !

For example, up to know, each section prefaced with the parts needed and how to proceed.

When I got to the bed, I got a picture of the parts but no part listing of what will be needed

So the Wiki is inconsistent

I suppose if this is your second or third build, its quite easy. But for a wary new comer, whose read numerous issues about alignment issues on other threads, I would very much like to get it assembled correctly the first time.

if you are not 100 percent sure on something. ask here on the forum. you should get an answer back within 5 minutes :-)

Ian

Don't tighten that bed up too much on the left side. When you get the vertical rods in check the spacing at the bottom and the top of travel without z screw in. I ended up adding shims all around where the left arm attaches to the bed. With thicker shims near the bearings and no shim at all at the front of the bed.

You should probably post a new topic if you have a new question. People who are the type who are helpful and answer questions are less likely to open a topic about "let the build begin". People who want to see a picture of your progress might not be the type to answer your questions.

Good point