Xmas Candy canes

Stefania Dinea

Posted (edited) · Xmas Candy canes

Hello everyone and Merry Xmas!!

What better way to incorporate parametric design learning/teaching and Christmas holiday spirits than some candy cane scripting. Sure it can be done by hand as well but the best way to get a grip on your parametric skills is to use it also for more seasonal holiday spirit and instant satisfaction reward. I have been using 3D printing just before the holidays at work to simulate and engage my colleagues to learn basic parametric design and get a grip on Grasshopper. Here are the results hanging in the little tree. I think it was  a very fruitful workshop and I was quite surprised with the results. As an Xmas special freeby for the community I have attached the parametric candy canes I made for this workshop and there are 7 of them. For those of you who want the script and want to see more in detail how this was done you can follow this link https://www.dineadesign.com/2018/12/24/xmas-candy-canes/ -- however here I would keep it more 3D printing related. 

48375221_598912487225790_3721982065592238080_n.thumb.jpg.25c41523a1ec410f3dbdee2d7a98ec50.jpg

So to start, import the candy cane you want to print and then select the model and create Ctrl+M to multiply --- make one copy 🙂

image.thumb.png.1516ab8e202209671d1bb963d575d6b3.png

Next what you want to do is rotate the Y axis 180 degrees. 

image.thumb.png.df8905fd96ab58741e71a8a838763da7.png

Select both models and move the models on the Z axis by Z total height /2 in this case = -8 mm

image.thumb.png.73049b12333019cfff7b96fa476695d4.png

Now just print and super glue together and you have yourself a fast printed curly candy cane for your tree. 

How would you print this? Let me know!

CANDY6.stl

CANDY1.stl

CANDY2.stl

CANDY3.stl

CANDY4.stl

CANDY5.stl

CANDY6.stl

Edited by Stefania Dinea
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
Posted · Xmas Candy canes
On 12/24/2018 at 1:09 PM, SandervG said:

Great, very cool! Did you host the workshop?

Yes I did, together with one of my work colleagues. 

I'm also curious about those other fancy ornaments hanging in your Christmas tree 😛 

The other ornaments were done by the attendees.  

@Alex L they look fantastic - however I don't get the fried chicken/turkey? What is that? :))

Posted · Xmas Candy canes
    2 hours ago, Stefania Dinea said:

@Alex L they look fantastic - however I don't get the fried chicken/turkey? What is that? :))

It's a turkey on a baking tray which is in the shape of our corporate logo with the company name inserted in a different colour PLA. Extra challenging s it was printed on an UM Original so no option for 2 colour printing

img_9397_720.thumb.jpg.67b5a113f1dcc09fd89f7bfac6762c0c.jpg

• Like 2