Multiple STL Files on Single Project

MPW2000

Posted · Multiple STL Files on Single Project

I must be missing something.  I am using the current version of Cura 3.2.32...

I would like to import two STL files and then integrate them.   I am relatively new to this world, and have used multiple programs to accomplish various tasks.  THis seems to be a simple task in other programs I have used, but I cannot figure how to do this in Cura.

I simple want to embed an object into a larger object - 

Help!

Select them both and then right click and it's something like "merge".  Before you do that you might want to assign them to different extruders or assign one to control infill pattern or whatever your purpose is for merging two STLs.

I have read the suggestions about keeping models apart and don't automatically drop models to the build plate.

I hate to ask this, especially as someone with many years of technology and computer experience - but I don't see either of those as options within the preferences section of the Cura Version I am using - are they really an option in Cura 3.2.32...'

'

Specific goal:

I have an object, it is a 3d basketball

I have a second object, a name

I want to insert the name to the outer edge of the basketball and end up with a basketball with a name on it - the project is a keychain.

58 minutes ago, MPW2000 said:

are they really an option in Cura 3.2.32

The version number implies that you're talking about the Lulzbot Cura edition, is this right? It is well possible that this edition has very different options in comparison to Ultimaker Cura. I doubt that you'll find an answer to this question here in the Ultimaker world then... Maybe better ask Lulzbot for support?

15 hours ago, MPW2000 said:

I would like to import two STL files and then integrate them.

As @gr5 said: with Ultimaker Cura the workflow is simple:

- select both objects (right click: "Select All Models")

- merge the origin of all models (right click: "Merge Models")

(and in your modeling software: take sure that the origin of both parts is the same)