Posted · Bondtech feeder

I have an Ultimaker 5S and I am looking at the Bondtech "feeder upgrade" kit. Did anybody replace the UM feeder with this one? Are the experiences positive or negative? Thank you for any feedback!

Posted · Bondtech feeder

I see no need to update the feeders from the S5 because they are great and a big upgrade from the UM3. 

The S5 feeder gears are already hardened to print with abrasive materials and the lever to fully open the feeder tension is also a big advantage to the UM3 feeder.

What advantages do you expect to use the Bondtech on the S5?

Posted · Bondtech feeder

I agree, I have no complaints from the UM feeders. Today I cleaned them up for the first time, and I noticed that they have only one knurled wheel. Theoretically, I could imagine that knurled wheels on both sides may give an edge, particularly with softer materials. But it may just as well be a marketing thing and nothing else.

Posted · Bondtech feeder

Yes, it could help maybe with softer materials, but I don't know it. The softest material, I have ever used was TPU and this was no problem, also not for the UM3 feeder.

On the other hand, you would also have the e steps problem when changing the feeder. You can set the e steps with ssh into the printer and change the values there, but you have to do it everytime you make an update.

Posted · Bondtech feeder

Good point. I think that I will not make any moves until Bondtech provides a plug-and-play replacement with obvious, documented advantages.

Posted · Bondtech feeder

I think if you don't print regularly Ninaflex or even softer materials, then you should be fine with the default feeders.