Sidebar GUI for Cura 4

ahoeben

Posted · Sidebar GUI for Cura 4
6 hours ago, Great_Moustache said:

Sidebar GUI doesn't seem to be working in Cura 4.1, is that something I'm just messing up on, or is it b/c the plugin has to be updated to work with 4.1?

Me too, updated to 4.1.0, plugin is loaded but doesn't seem to do anything.
I'm not the kinda guy to diss on free software but the new interface is hell on earth.

• Like 1

The sidebar plugin will always have to be updated for new versions of Cura. It "patches" specific parts of Cura, and when Cura is changed those patches don't work anymore and have to be redone.

I do think there are still good reasons to prefer the sidebar implementation over the floating panels, so I will release an updated version of the plugin at some point, but there are some complicating factors at the moment.

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, ahoeben said:

The sidebar plugin will always have to be updated for new versions of Cura. It "patches" specific parts of Cura, and when Cura is changed those patches don't work anymore and have to be redone.

I do think there are still good reasons to prefer the sidebar implementation over the floating panels, so I will release an updated version of the plugin at some point, but there are some complicating factors at the moment.

Please please make plugin for 4.1.0.   New gui if possible is more stupid than 4.0.0.... 

I'm really do not understand how is possible someone think is a good gui.  Is also very slow but I think you cannot solve it.... 

6 hours ago, OUPS65 said:

I think this plugin  is no longer necessary with the new version  as you may position the panel anywhere in the 3D viewer.

Look at the explanations on https://ultimaker.com/en/blog/52886-innovate-with-ultimaker-cura-41

It is very much still needed. The floating/movable thing could be considered an improvement, but by not being locked it doesn't center the bed image (which yes you can drag, but have to every time) and the slice button isn't with the options and a few other things. Just overall annoying and frustrating. Cura could easily include a viewing option to have it locked to the side like before too if they wanted to.

I wish developers would stop assuming their way is the best way all the time, and other ways are just invalid and can be done away with. Fortunately Cura is provided for free though.

• Like 1

Posted (edited) · Sidebar GUI for Cura 4
    8 hours ago, OUPS65 said:

I think this plugin  is no longer necessary with the new version  as you may position the panel anywhere in the 3D viewer.

Look at the explanations on https://ultimaker.com/en/blog/52886-innovate-with-ultimaker-cura-41

Yeah it's so great, even in their images you can see they need to move the settings panel everywhere to be able to get access to the slice and/or save button, the layer slider also appears under the settings bar when you slice, the LOAD button doesn't appear in Preview mode, gotta switch back to default view to load a file, i mean how the hell could they fock this up more !? Oh i know, by charging us 10$ for it i guess...
    I've been sold tu Cura since v15.x but i'm now seriously considering switching if they keep doing  bullshit like this.

I mean if like 10,000 users requested those changes, i'd understand, but NOONE requested those changes, they just assumed we would like it.

Edited by DaveR18Qc

4 hours ago, ahoeben said:

That would be great if you did, but i'd understand if you don't wanna code for hours everytime Cura updates itself. I thought maybe it would be a quick fix like in a settings file to say "compatible with 4.0 AND 4.1" but if they changes the code alot it's a bummer. Thanks you nonetheless for the previous version which gave me back my beloved Cura the way i like it :) Maybe i'll just downgrade to 4.0 and miss the gyroid supports.

I agree it's still needed though I could never use it as it locks up my editing at random times (but awesome when I could use it).

Docking the bar allows the center of the bed to be in what's left after docking. 

Also, all I do all the time is change the height of the panel to un-hide the print button - and the data that shows with it. 

And no, they din't presume we'd like it - they just didn't car (and still don't as a "dock" feature in 4.1, besides moving the darn bar, would have been stupid easy to implement, when you have the GUI code in front of you) - I have no doubt that all Ultimaker coders said it's easy and they could not get the manager to understand why it's needed. 

I was half expecting that the bug of lock-up parameters would go away with an 4.1 update and the update of this to that version. I hope to see it updated. 

please update the mod i hate the new thing. the layer hight display in the preview is behind the print settings like why? 

Edited by Cunibon
    • Like 1

2110063769_AFFICHAGE410.thumb.JPG.a9e5143743aff60f1214d98b8b7704b3.JPG

I feel this display so clear.

@ahoeben Adding my voice there to thank you again for the plugin, and hoping you can find them soon to adapt it to 4.1. While the new docking is nice, it still leaves many elements all over the place, and I find it way better to have everything on the same side of the screen, like your plugin does.

• Like 1

A test-version that should work with both Cura 4.0 and Cura 4.1 is available here:
    http://files.fieldofview.com/cura/SidebarGUIPlugin-v6.0.0-2019-06-11T21_09_03Z.curapackage
    Download the file, and drop it into a running Cura application window. Then restart Cura.

If this version works, it should be available from the Marketplace as an update soon.

• Like 4

Sorry, I forgot to include a changed file. If you already downloaded the file in my previous post, please download the same file again. This time I actually tested it myself...

On 6/4/2019 at 7:55 AM, OUPS65 said:

2110063769_AFFICHAGE410.thumb.JPG.a9e5143743aff60f1214d98b8b7704b3.JPG

I feel this display so clear.

Hmm. You covered the tools with the settings. So you use either the tools or the settings? And to show the settings after you have hidden them, you have to click in the top right to have the settings appear on the left. On top of that, you have to shift the viewport (shift drag) every time you launch Cura so the settings panel does not cover the viewport as much. If that all works for you, that's great for you. But I don't think that's optimal. Neither is my solution with the SidebarGUI plugin, but I feel it still gets closer than yours.

• Like 1

@ahoeben I just downloaded and installed your file on 4.1 and it works like a charm so far. Thank you so very much once again for your time spent into making this plugin to give us all a better UI!

The updated plugin (4.0.1) is now published in the Marketplace for both Cura 4.0 and Cura 4.1.

When Cura 4.2 is released, I will have to make a new version.

• Like 2

as awesome as this plug-in is, I still use it for 5 minutes, then editing fields in the bar become locked (moving objects, moving from prepare and preview, usually with auto-slice but I can pause it sometimes - I can't figure out what triggers it). I have to save the project, restart Cura and work for 5 more minutes and start over. What could I be doing wrong?

Thanks so much Ahoeben, you rock. Such a huge difference in user experience this makes.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, peterlpop said:

I still use it for 5 minutes, then editing fields in the bar become locked (moving objects, moving from prepare and preview, usually with auto-slice but I can pause it sometimes - I can't figure out what triggers it).

I have only had one other report of non-responsive fields sofar, but that seems to have resolved itself. Perhaps the two are related?

https://github.com/fieldOfView/Cura-SidebarGUIPlugin/issues/2

If it is something I can't replicate myself, it will be very hard to fix. If you could come up with a way to reproduce it ("start Cura, click here, then do that, now the fields are locked"), that would be great.

Agreed on the replication, and since it's not common... As far as I can replicate it - just used Cura on both printers (k280 and Ender3 with Klipper and Octoprint) - didn't lock up for 30 minutes worth of slicing and changing parameters (but avoiding clicking on the "monitor tab" as my normal workflow would... , saving profile, updating them (so I can use the same profile on both printers)... the moment I switched to the Monitor tab and clicked on the side-bar (not on a button), returning to the preview or prepare, the boxes are locked. (as my normal flow, I "preheat" and "home" on the Monitor tab soon after I load the model and start changing my parameters... I will keep on zeroing in on the issue. 

On 6/15/2019 at 11:09 AM, peterlpop said:

Agreed on the replication, and since it's not common... As far as I can replicate it - just used Cura on both printers (k280 and Ender3 with Klipper and Octoprint) - didn't lock up for 30 minutes worth of slicing and changing parameters (but avoiding clicking on the "monitor tab" as my normal workflow would... , saving profile, updating them (so I can use the same profile on both printers)... the moment I switched to the Monitor tab and clicked on the side-bar (not on a button), returning to the preview or prepare, the boxes are locked. (as my normal flow, I "preheat" and "home" on the Monitor tab soon after I load the model and start changing my parameters... I will keep on zeroing in on the issue. 

Ok - so it's confirmed, on any of my computers, and any version of Cura that I use (freshly installed 4.1.0 on my second computer) - if I go to the "Monitor" tab and click on anything (including on empty space), it locks up the fields. I guess my situation is unique, but follows on all my set-ups - I will avoid the Monitor tab and just preheat from Octoprint. 

6 hours ago, peterlpop said:

I guess my situation is unique, but follows on all my set-ups

Just to make you feel "better", there's also that report on github I linked above. So I guess there must be more people suffering from this issue but I am not getting more reports of it (out of around 12.000 downloads of the plugin from the Marketplace).

With Cura 4.2 beta available now, it would help me if you tested this version of the sidebar gui plugin:
    http://files.fieldofview.com/cura/SidebarGUIPlugin-v6.1.0-2019-07-18T12_34_52Z.curapackage

Download the file and drop it onto a running Cura 4.2 application window. Then restart Cura and it should have the sidebar gui.

• Like 3

On 7/18/2019 at 5:51 AM, ahoeben said:

With Cura 4.2 beta available now, it would help me if you tested this version of the sidebar gui plugin:
    http://files.fieldofview.com/cura/SidebarGUIPlugin-v6.1.0-2019-07-18T12_34_52Z.curapackage

Download the file and drop it onto a running Cura 4.2 application window. Then restart Cura and it should have the sidebar gui.

That worked, thank you for making this. For the life of me I can't figure out why Cura doesn't use a design like this.

Edited by scrid2000

tried the 4.2 version, all seems fine, thanks again !!!

• Like 1