jooc

Travel Start/End position

Posted · Travel Start/End position

Ok. I've recently started evaluating Simplify3D. I've used Cura for the past 2 yrs or so. One thing I noticed right off the bat was that Simplify3D has much fewer travels than Cura. And the travels appear to start from an interior wall. Consequently, I've noticed a big improvement in the surface quality of my prints.

This got me thinking about the start position of travels. If the travels started from an infill line, then any defects due to nozzle oozing and imperfect retraction settings would be "hidden" in the infill, leading to an "apparently" better print. 

Is it possible control the travel start position in Cura?

Thanks!

Joo

Hello @jooc, please attach simple example gcode for the same model produced by s3d and by Cura so we can compare the travels. Thanks.

Hello @jooc, thanks for the files. I was hoping that the Cura gcode file would contain the settings info at the end but that seems to be missing so I have to guess as to what settings you used. I recommend setting the z-seam alignment to User Specified and use Z Seam X/Y values that specify a point that is not in the centre of your model. Also, set the combing mode to "No Skin". For gyroid infill, I would specify Connect Infill Lines and also I don't bother with Alternate Extra Wall.

Ok. But what about the idea of starting travels at infill lines?

7 hours ago, jooc said:

Ok. But what about the idea of starting travels at infill lines?

You can't avoid travels starting and ending on the outer wall. After all, you have to travel to/from the wall somehow. There is an option to print the outer wall first (it normally prints inside to out). If you use that then having printed the outer wall, it should move inside the model to print the inner walls, infill, etc. If you are seeing poor quality due to travels then that means some setting(s) could be wrong (retraction amount, speed, temperature, etc.)