Outer perimeter for holes

SimiDitto

Posted · Outer perimeter for holes

Hi there

I generally try to solve my issues before going out and posting threads, but found no relevant info on the matter.

When checking "optimize wall printing order" and "outer before inner walls", cura prints the outside wall for the part first but then goes and prints the holes inner wall first and then comes back and prints the rest of the outside walls. Is this normal behavior or am I missing something? Shouldn't all neighboring walls be printed first, then move to the next set of neighboring walls, outside wall first, and so on? If I do not check "optimize wall printing order", holes also get outside wall first, but there is also a lot of back and forth travel. Am I missing a tickmark somewhere?

I'm new to this 3d printing thingy so please be gentle 🙂

Much appreciate the help and all the work put into Cura.

Best regards,

Razvan

cura.jpg

Hello @SimiDitto. Cura behaves that way because it is being a little lazy when you print outer walls first. In the situation where the hole(s) in the object lie very close to the outer perimeter you will have a reduced number of walls because the gap isn't big enough for them all. In that situation if it printed all of the perimeter walls first one of the perimeter inner walls could be touching the outer wall of one or more holes and so it would not be obeying the setting. So to ensure that all of the outer walls are printed first it prints the perimeter outer wall and then the outer to inner walls of the holes and then goes back to print the inner walls of the perimeter. It could spend more time determining if the holes are close enough to the perimeter for that to happen but it doesn't. Hope this makes sense.

Hi and thank you for the quick reply.

The part is big enough to accommodate all walls and skin, so the walls are not touching. Just to be sure, I tested on a 200x200mm square with a hole in the middle, and does the same thing.

Best regards,

Razvan

cura1.jpg