Tips on Printing a Vase ?

ian

Posted · Tips on Printing a Vase ?

never done one and its been on my wish list too long ..

so iv designed a really nice case model for printing. it is hollow with a bottom but no thickness in the walls.

Before I start tonight printing.. I wanted to ask for tips..

How thick should I print the walls ?

Best Temp from experience ??

Should i slow down the print when the model gets higher and higher... vibration ?

This model will fit the full print space of my home ultimaker.. :-)

Thanks guys.

Ian

what settings do i need to change ? so the top of the my vase is not closed up.

If i make the top bottom layers with zero value, then that might get rid of my top closed layer but also my bottom ?

Ian

are you using CURA to print your files?.

If yes, here goes my set of rules for doing Vases.

Usually a 1.2 mm - 1.6 mm thickness works for me. 50mm speeds for walls help and 75 for the bottom solid fill layer. I usually print 10 solid bottom layers which is roughlly 2 mm so that the bottom is heavy making it rather solid.

210-212 Deg C is a good temp for natural PLA which I usually use to print.

In CURA, the expert tab has an expert setting option in which you need to uncheck solid infill top, and check solid infill bottom to have a solid bottom and an empty top. This is the case for Solid Vase desings.

Since yours is already hollow and has no top, your print will be inddependent of this option.

You can see some of my prints on http://3dlabs.in

Do send us a copy of your design and post photos of your vase.

Happy Printing!

Since yours is already hollow and has no top, your print will be inddependent of this option.

Ian - make the vase topographically the same as a cube or cylinder. In other words give it a top. Then tell Cura to not print the top. This way you can get .4mm thick walls to your vase which will be very elegant. If you actually design in the walls of the vase in cad then it gets complicated - you need to make sure cura thinks they are exactly .8 or 1.2mm thick and Cura will disagree at the vertexes and either not print anything or over extrude. It will just come out much better to let Cura do the wall thickness instead of CAD.

At least in the old Cura this method will also give it zero infill. Check layer view to make sure it isn't putting in tiny infill areas to support certain features. That would be bad.

Consider using the old Cura and the "joris" feature if you want to get rid of the z seam. But in that case your wall needs to be the same as your nozzle width (.4mm).

Joris himself, who comes out with a new cup every week, uses the old Cura for cups and vases. The old Cura was very very good at that. His cups are water tight even with only .4mm walls.