Help with the Axes setup (1.2 Step 4)

LePaul

Posted · Help with the Axes setup (1.2 Step 4)

I'm having a tough time visualizing and interpeting the instructions and pictures on this step. Which rods get a pulley, how many? Which side? Which way should the blocks be facing?

Thank you!

Paul

Did you by chance read my comment in reply to your last thread when you asked this question? it is really very simple. For ALL of them it is pulley, block, pulley, and occasionally an extra pulley on the end for the shorter stepper belt. So here is my advice, follow the directions just as they are pictured for all of the axes. Then go back and add the extra pulley to the proper axis and proper side of that axis in the same orientation to that of the pulley you put it next to. You will know which one to add the extra pulley to by determining where the motor mounts. If you still don't quite understand please let me know.

Okay well I made and posted a short video explicitly explaining exactly the order of how the rods and pulleys and sliding blocks all go together. youtube is down right now so I posted it here:

http://gr5.org/rods_and_pulleys_low_res_ultimaker.mp4

I suggest you right click and download the 20mb file and then if you can't play it directly then install VLC media player (a wonderful, free, open source video player).

I'll do that, thanks

Here's some progress from the evening

Funny what a fresh pot of coffee can do.

How's this look?

gallery_536_202_41599.jpeg

gallery_536_202_20943.jpg

Now THAT should be in the Wiki!

Explains a lot...if anything, verifies stuff too.

See above...think, based on the directions and what I saw in your video..looks right

You have it correct so far. You should find "spare" set screws (white/silver) for the pulleys in your kit. Those set screws are better than the ones that come with the pulleys (black). Install those spare ones (silver ones) - especially on the pulleys for the short belts.

Tighten the heck out of all the set screws at some point. When you are done. And consider leaving the end caps loose. After you get the head installed, move it around and feel the friction with the end caps tight versus loose.

Replaced all the set screws as advised in the wiki (and read here too)

Everything is loose for now.

Just happy my brain "clicked" on this. Moving on!

The steps to place the pulleys on the RIGHT side were backwards. It wanted you to place pulley, belt to other axis, place pully for the other belt...which you couldnt do, since placing the pulley blocks the way!

I had to blink a few times to figure out what needed to be done...place pulley, slide to rear for attachment to moor, place place pulley, loop in opposite axis belt, then another pulley for the remaining belt. Then go back, loosen motor, get belt over pulley

Now I am at the blocks/sliders I think I got it all correct, tho I keep looking at how they tip down/up with nothing in them.

gallery_536_202_40583.jpg

gallery_536_202_120625.jpg

gallery_536_202_65893.jpg

Now THAT should be in the Wiki!

Do me a favor? Add that video to the wiki for me? It won't move. That link will work for years.

tho I keep looking at how they tip down/up

slide the pulleys just enough so they don't tip. This is a good way to "align" the belts with the rods. Either that or don't worry about it until it is time to tighten the set screws. When you are tightening the set screws (after head is mounted) pay attention to this alignment - slide the head to each corner and make sure the long belts are going straight into the slider and not crooked.

GR5 is correct. And the order is correct. May I ask, how do you add stuff to the wiki?

I don't know either

You have to create a wiki account first. The wiki account is unrelated to any other ultimaker account you might have.

Then you just click any of the various "edit" buttons that will appear all over the page. Especially the main edit at the top.

I hate it when you have a long response typed out and almost finished and the user or browser glitches and the whole thing is lost. Maybe I can say it with less words the second time around. Let me start by saying I have designed and built alot of timing belt drives before ever hearing of UM.

I noticed in the short video that the last corner mentioned is the front right corner, not the front left as mentioned....

Before locking your pulleys down in their final position, check that the belts are tracking on the pulleys with minimal rubbing on the flanges. The less overall friction in your gantry the better. This is best done with the cross bars installed and the belts tensioned. (Maybe even with the set screws loose so the pulleys can find their own equilibrium.) Move the head back and forth several times watching how the belts track thru the pulleys. Shift the pulleys axially as necessary to minimize the rubbing. This will essentially have the pulleys centered to the belts as they are mounted to the slide blocks. Move the head around some more, observe and reposition until the rubbing is minimized.

Resist the temptation to tighten the hell out of your belts. The belts have working load limits like anything else. To exceed them will only diminish the belts performance and/or life span. If you're unsure how tight they should be, start with them a little loose and gradually snug them up. They should have a low 'twang' when plucked.

Keep in mind: The relative timing of the two belt pairs will affect the squareness (and smoothness) of your gantry. That is to say, that the relative timing of the pulleys for the front long belt to the pulleys for the rear long belt affects the squareness of the 6mm Y slide rod. The converse is true for the left and right pulley sets and the X slide rod.

I hope that's helpful and not too hard to follow...

Matt

This is the part I will be working on tonight

Alignment and calibration has me a little worried

I resume on step http://wiki.ultimaker.com/Ultimaker_rev.4_assembly:_Extrusion_head%C2%A0%C2%A0%20,%20Mounting%20the%20XY%20to%20the%20frame

Any tips or tricks appreciated!