File name of the selected object?

curator23

Posted · File name of the selected object?

Is there a way to get the file name of the selected object?

When dealing with a large number of part variants, I find it difficult to figure out which is which.

If this is possible now, it's not obvious how.

Ideally, I would like the selected object's file name to be displayed in the bottom left corner.

In the event of multiple selection, the last object added to the select list should be given priority.

Two of three file names could be shown, and an ellipsis if more are selected.

Also a 'Properties' box for the selected object, accessible through the edit menu and object's contextual menu.

This would have at least the file's full path, size, date modified, number of triangles and dimensional extent.

Maybe 'next' and 'prev' buttons for cycling through the selection list? And an 'open file's location' button

But really, I just want to click on an object and know what file it is.

Cheers

Posted (edited) · File name of the selected object?

The  objects name, that is possible when using build plates in Cura 3.6 (or lower, not in beta 4)  

You can activate this in the preferences.

Edited by peggyb

• 1 year later...
    22 minutes ago, kleftotronic said:

I am using Cura 4.6.2 and I couldn't find anything in the settings nor any visual cues as to this being possible. 

I second this feature request and would love to see this added to a future version of Cura!

Check the "Object list" in the lower left corner

bild.png.5df7af6778370fe2a44578e59fa9aefa.png

I see the file names in the object list, but it doesn't display the full name if it's long.  In this case I can't differentiate between objects or see what version of an object is there.  Is there a way to change a setting to display the full name or see the full name somewhere else?

11 hours ago, cmmellen said:

Is there a way to change a setting to display the full name or see the full name somewhere else?

No, there is not.

Well.... There is a way to do it. The example plugin that we created does that: https://github.com/Ultimaker/UraniumExampleToolPlugin

• Like 2