Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
johnnywawsher

CURA DOESN'T OPEN

Well, none of the devs can reproduce this stupid bug. If we can't reproduce it, it's almost impossible for us to debug it (and also know if we actually fixed it).

Getting angry or typing in caps, although I guess it's probably nice to get it off your chest, isn't going to change any of those things, unfortunately.

My suggestion would be to include a verbose logging option in Cura, so you don't have to tell your users that you are helpless.. Clearly, without doubt, you don't have enough.  Also, don't ever try to write files to the "Program Files" directory after you are finished installing.  Most users won't have access to do that and it's not how Windows programs are meant to work.

58 minutes ago, Jason9 said:

Also, don't ever try to write files to the "Program Files" directory after you are finished installing.

What makes you think Cura tries to do that? It doesn't. Never did.

Did you search for *.* in the Cura installation directory and sort by date descending?  There's heaps of .qmlc files that have their dates updated each time you start Cura.  Bad, bad, not good.  May not be the problem here, but.. bad.

:)

Yeah, the machine I'm talking to you on is actually connected to the Internet.  None of my other ones (which I use to print) are.

Keep trying though.

Uh. Those are just cached / compiled files. We could disable that, but then Cura would run a whole lot slower.

Also, there is quite a bit of logging in Cura already, but although logging helps, it isn't some magic tool that miraculously enables us to fix all issues. If only that were the case.

As a 50 year old professional software developer, no, endless loops are generally shown to be within an entry point that never exits.

To be honest, I still don't understand what you mean or how this would solve any of the aforementioned issues. But feel free to have a look at the codebase and suggest how it can be changed. I think that will have more actual results than popping generic advice that may or may not be applicable to the situation.

Right.  It's late where I am so I'm leaving the forum, but as a team-lead in a software development team for a large government department, I suggest.. talk to your lead and/or business-owner.  He/She will have good advice for you and your team.  But I feel for the OP, I think the caps were justified now.  I don't think my advice here was obscure.