Error with End Stop in CURA

LePaul

Posted · Error with End Stop in CURA

We even swapped out the Right and Left (blue) wires to see if it was the switch. Same error after trying that.

Suggestions? Anything we can test or do we need to replace the limit switch?

When it asks you to press front right - try pressing all 6 limit switches just for the hell of it. See if one of them is wired up wrong.

FYI you really don't need the x axis right switch, the y axis back switch or the z axis bottom switch. You can use the UM just fine without these 3 switches working and with no bad effects. The UM has software limits for these switches anyway plus if you force the stepper to go beyond the end of travel nothing will break.

Just click "skip".

but have your finger on power switch

and turn it off if it makes horrible noise.

Try to level very very accurately before doing a test print. Use piece of paper:

How to level:

leveling here is defined as setting the Z height and also leveling. It's one procedure that does both at once.

Optionally heat up the nozzle to 180C because a cold nozzle shrinks and you will be setting the bed to the wrong height. Make sure tip of nozzle doesn't have any plastic on it or you may level to the wrong height. I usually prefer to level with a cold nozzle but if you want extra accuracy then use hot nozzle. If you have a heated bed that should also be warm for the same reason.

Home the z axis only. If you must home all 3 then you need to disable the steppers once it's done so you can move the print head by hand. Move the head as close as possible to each of the 4 screws in turn. Once at a screw tighten the screw and then slip a piece of paper between the nozzle and the print bed. Make sure the paper slides very freeley. Then loosen the screw until the paper gets slightly stuck. You want the paper to easily be able to slide in and out under the nozzle with one hand pushing the paper. If the paper gets stuck it's probably too tight under there.

Repeat this procedure for the other 3 screws. Then go back to the first screw and repeat on all 4 screws again. Then repeat on all 4 screws again. Then again. It may take you 20 minutes to do this the first time but the second time you do this it should take much less time because you are both better at it, faster at it, and because there isn't much to adjust the second time.

If you leveled with a cold nozzle you are done. If you leveled with a hot nozzle you should then loosen the 4 screws 1/8 of a turn to compensate for the thickness of the paper.

Once done leveling rotate the z screw by hand to keep the nozzle off your bed. This makes it less likely to damage your bed surface and gives the nozzle room to leak.

On a new ultimaker repeat this procedure before every print (at least every hour) because the print bed can move/droop like a new guitar string. After many months the droop slows down.

We did the "home" routing with a piece of paper....so test print away ...?

Finger on the OFF button just in case!

If home works don't need finger on power. Yes, print away. But still did you test with piece of paper in 4 corners?

Print that ultimaker robot! go for it!

Make sure you manually feed the extruder gear (turn by hand) once head gets around 180 or 190C.

to prime the pump as it were.

Yes no plasrtic came out :(

So using the cura print window, set temp to 200C and when it is above 180C, turn extruder gear until plastic comes out.

I'm going to walk dog. BAck in 5-10 minutes.

well? anything? Send a photo of your failure. For example if extruder not working send pics of extruder. Or video if it's a "first layer" issue. Anyway bedtime now.

Plastic not sticking to surface, just strings everywhere

Yeah. Seen that a lot. You won't beleive me but it's a levelling issue. Levelling is amazingly important.

Raise the bed a tiny bit. Turn all screws counter clockwise 1/4 turn and try again.

I really am going to bed this time. Good luck.

Clean surface too?

Or do what some people do and turn the Z coupler by hand (raising the bed) while it prints the skirt until it is smushing into the bed. YOu have to turn it damn hard to overpower the z stepper. YOu will get a click feel when it skips a step.

clean surface helps later when the part gets knocked off. Not critical for a single layer to work. Clean with isopropyl alcohol when you get a chance.

Done Trying again, tip a micron off surface!

Nothing. I give for the night.

Im torn between wondering if the extruder isnt working right to when it does extrude, it doesnt attach to the surface.

Time for sleep

I'm curious, how "visible" is the extruder pulling material into the hot end?

From my failed prints, I have material going thru...but should I be seeing a lot of movement from spool to feeder?

I just want to be sure that the extruder is working properly.

Also, this video (

) shows an option in the Ulticontroller to extrude some material, to "prime the pump" so to speak My Ulticontroller does not show this option

Is the ruling to ignore the error I get in calibration? Or do I need to replace some parts?

Looking for lot's of good advice! Thanks

"nothing" isn't enough of a description to understand what is going on.

First of all, to test extruder, turn it by hand and you should see thin strings of pla coming out the nozzle. Of course do this while the bed is away from the nozzle. For the little you mentioned I suspect this part is fine.

Now levelling is very very crucial.

If you are too high off the bed, the pla string will come out but won't stick or will just barely stick to the blue tape.

If you are perfect, the pla comes out squished flat like a pancake. It comes out a bit wider and very flat (not rounded like string).

If you are too low it looks like something is wrong with extruder. The plastic dribbles out in bumpy drops and then occasionally suddenly oozes a big blob. But basically looks like you are getting 1/10 as much pla as needed.

It's best to slice with the bottom layer being .3mm (nice and thick) so that you have more room for error. This I believe is default in Cura.

If none of this helps, please send video of your first layer experience.

Be warned that this is just the first roadblock of many to come that are fixable (e.g. warping, corners lifting, parts popping off blue tape, overhangs not working, stringing, melting look to part, horizontal and/or vertical patterns that shouldn't be there, and holes in walls, or tops of parts, clogging nozzles, ground up filament at extruder).