Actual Print different than solid view.

Jared83

Posted · Actual Print different than solid view.

Hi everyone, I"m new to printing and looking for some wisdom on a print issue.  My solid view shows my name "Jared" the print comes out with the original files "ILH" initials.  If I switch to "Layer View" thats what actually printed but why didn't it print like the solid view preview and how do I fix it?

layer view.jpeg

Solid View.jpeg

Posted · Actual Print different than solid view.

You should go back you do it again. You only covered the front with a very thin face. Behind that face, there is still the original text. The face is so thin, that Cura doesn't slice it, that's the reason, why you see it in solid view, but not in the layer view. When you check the option "print thin walls" you get it also in layer view, but you should not print it that way, because it is not correct. 

339427956_Bildschirmfoto2019-01-19um20_36_20.thumb.png.2fc7bc65b79da6f40946f3f9dde8f56c.png

You have to cover the text with a thicker solid block, that all of the previous text is covered. Then put your text to it and make it at least 0.41mm high or deep. With a 0.4 nozzle Cura can print walls with 0.41 or thicker, otherwise if thinner, you have to check the option "print thin walls", but it is always better to design it the right way.

But I like that failure 🙂 You can cover something in solid view or for STL viewers, but when thin enough if will not print, and shows the other version of it. Maybe useful for some hidden copyright messages 🙂 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
    • Our picks

• UltiMaker Cura 5.7 stable released
        Cura 5.7 is here and it brings a handy new workflow improvement when using Thingiverse and Cura together, as well as additional capabilities for Method series printers, and a powerful way of sharing print settings using new printer-agnostic project files! Read on to find out about all of these improvements and more. 

• 14 replies
      • S-Line Firmware 8.3.0 was released Nov. 20th on the "Latest" firmware branch.
        (Sorry, was out of office when this released)

This update is for...
        All UltiMaker S series  
        New features

Temperature status. During print preparation, the temperatures of the print cores and build plate will be shown on the display. This gives a better indication of the progress and remaining wait time. Save log files in paused state. It is now possible to save the printer's log files to USB if the currently active print job is paused. Previously, the Dump logs to USB option was only enabled if the printer was in idle state. Confirm print removal via Digital Factory. If the printer is connected to the Digital Factory, it is now possible to confirm the removal of a previous print job via the Digital Factory interface. This is useful in situations where the build plate is clear, but the operator forgot to select Confirm removal on the printer’s display. Visit this page for more information about this feature.
        • 0 replies