Jared83

Actual Print different than solid view.

Posted · Actual Print different than solid view.

Hi everyone, I"m new to printing and looking for some wisdom on a print issue.  My solid view shows my name "Jared" the print comes out with the original files "ILH" initials.  If I switch to "Layer View" thats what actually printed but why didn't it print like the solid view preview and how do I fix it?

layer view.jpeg

Solid View.jpeg

How have you changed the text on the object?

Can you upload your STL file here, then we can take a look at it.

You should go back you do it again. You only covered the front with a very thin face. Behind that face, there is still the original text. The face is so thin, that Cura doesn't slice it, that's the reason, why you see it in solid view, but not in the layer view. When you check the option "print thin walls" you get it also in layer view, but you should not print it that way, because it is not correct. 

339427956_Bildschirmfoto2019-01-19um20_36_20.thumb.png.2fc7bc65b79da6f40946f3f9dde8f56c.png

You have to cover the text with a thicker solid block, that all of the previous text is covered. Then put your text to it and make it at least 0.41mm high or deep. With a 0.4 nozzle Cura can print walls with 0.41 or thicker, otherwise if thinner, you have to check the option "print thin walls", but it is always better to design it the right way.

But I like that failure 🙂 You can cover something in solid view or for STL viewers, but when thin enough if will not print, and shows the other version of it. Maybe useful for some hidden copyright messages 🙂