Z-axis blocks on start of print Cura 13.06.4

nic6911

Posted · Z-axis blocks on start of print Cura 13.06.4

Hi. I have been using the older versions of cura for my printing without any issues.

But i recently updated to the new version 13.06.4.

This gives me an issue when the print starts.

BTW I have a Prusa i3.

The z-axis will home and then lift 15mm from the platform. In the older versions this was done at a reasonable speed, but in the new this is done by 20 times the speed, resulting in the steppers not moving at all.

I can still use the older versions of Cura.

The line in the gcode that does the damage is this:

G1 Z15.0 F2400 ;move the platform down 15mm

In the older versions of Cura that line would be for example:

G1 Z15.0 F120 ;move the platform down 15mm

So F120 just became F2400 resulting in the loss of steps.

I have googled and also did a search on z-axis in this forum without any result.

How do I fix this problem?

Regards Nic

You can simply change the start gcode in Cura to make it do it at whatever speed you want to.

You may also be able to set a speed limit in your firmware, so that any move speeds are capped, and the printer doesn't try to move faster than it can.

(Back after 2 weeks vacation)

Note, the newer CuraEngine assumes that the firmware will limit the Z speed. I highly recommend configuring your firmware so that the Z speed is limited to what your machine can handle. As it will also do Z moves at high speed.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
    • Our picks

• Introducing Universal Cura Projects in the UltiMaker Cura 5.7 beta
        Strap in for the first Cura release of 2024! This 5.7 beta release brings new material profiles as well as cloud printing for Method series printers, and introduces a powerful new way of sharing print settings using printer-agnostic project files! Also, if you want to download the cute dinosaur card holder featured below, it was specially designed for this release and can be found on Thingiverse! 
        • 10 replies
      • S-Line Firmware 8.3.0 was released Nov. 20th on the "Latest" firmware branch.
        (Sorry, was out of office when this released)

This update is for...
        All UltiMaker S series  
        New features

Temperature status. During print preparation, the temperatures of the print cores and build plate will be shown on the display. This gives a better indication of the progress and remaining wait time. Save log files in paused state. It is now possible to save the printer's log files to USB if the currently active print job is paused. Previously, the Dump logs to USB option was only enabled if the printer was in idle state. Confirm print removal via Digital Factory. If the printer is connected to the Digital Factory, it is now possible to confirm the removal of a previous print job via the Digital Factory interface. This is useful in situations where the build plate is clear, but the operator forgot to select Confirm removal on the printer’s display. Visit this page for more information about this feature.
        • 0 replies