First prints...

LePaul

Posted · First prints...

Aaron,

Place yourself into the shoes of a new user/customer/builder

The threads are loaded with people having problems with pulleys, belts, clogged print heads and the like.

We came to the forums to ask questions along the way because we were trying to AVOID those issues others were having...and many are still having. I find it completely ironic that you chastise us for asking for assistance at areas for concern in a forum titled "Questions & Answers (Help Each Other)"

After spending $2400 USD on a wood-based kit (Ulticontroller, Second Extruder, base kit), yes, I will continue to ask questions as I try to avoid roadblocks and other expensive issues.

Many times during the build I wished I had gone pre-assembled. Two of my peers bought Solidoodle 3s for a lot less money pre-assembled and were printing moments after unpacking. I'm still convinced this Ultimaker is a superior product And to me and my co worker, the community support was the selling point.

But now you say to new customers like me.....stop asking..."No offense"?

We used the Wiki and there were some areas that were great (inventory list of what is required), relevant pictures and so on. But there are many areas that we had to rely on the comments in the bottom since the Wiki did not entirely reflect the latest version of the kit. In hindsight, after having built this, I see some areas of confusion are language based, which I would like to offer to help clean up and clarify.

I come from the IT world, have built an aircraft kit, two aluminum R2-D2s and the vast array of electronics, servos, motor controllers, LED lights, PCB construction and so on. I'm used to well laid out details for assembly and other processes. And I'm used to metal. Wood...I'm afraid to break and wait weeks for a replacement from the Netherlands.

Anyways...I'm not offended by your post. But I will tell you that I think the daunting assembly process is what keeps many potential customers away. The assembling version for $700 more...I wanted to but based on the competition, simply too much. So...we took a chance on building :cool:

Posted · First prints...

Filament-extrusion 3D printing is not yet at the point of being a plug-and-play consumer appliance experience. Whatever the type of printer, you will need to tweak it and maintain it to get the best out of it - and in order to do that, building it yourself is an invaluable experience. You will have a far better understanding of how the printer works by having assembled it yourself.

That said, I do think you need to stop being frightened of it, and just use it. Experiment. Try stuff out. There's not much you can really break, and if you do, there's only a few parts that are tricky to get ahold of, and might slow you down.

Posted · First prints...

I agree, its been a fun week watching a pile of motors and wood print out some nice looking stuff last night

Clearly there is still some tweaking to do, such as the ramming into the front left corner at the start of each print.

Posted · First prints...

Certainly, I'll fire up the Sony Bloggie and do a test print (since I am also curious if my first layer is low enough too)

Posted · First prints...

Print done, uploading to YouTube now....

Posted · First prints...

Posted · First prints...

Yeah, there's definitely a problem with the left limit switch, it looks like.

Can you confirm that the sliding block actually triggers the switch physically, before the sliding block or head run into something?

If so, then its either a wiring issue or a something about the control board. Double check that everything is plugged in where it's supposed to be.

Posted · First prints...

So imagine my frustration also: The software asks you to test the right limit switch and you click it and nothing happens. I just can't imagine why you wouldn't try the others. It's like I'm working in a shoe store and this guy keeps trying to put the left shoe on his right foot. He says it just doesn't fit - it feels wrong - it feels terrible. He checked twice and the shoe said it was the right shoe and I think - um - maybe the label is wrong? Just for the heck of it, it's been 24 hours now, why not try the other shoe? how could you not think of that?

Anyway - from the video your homing procedure is working wrong. It should not make those loud noises.

Your x axis left switch is definitely not working. Possibly your Y axis front switch also. I strongly suspect (as I said yesterday and the day before) that they are wired backwards (left and right for x axis since both are not working). As I said before it only takes a few seconds running the wizard to test this. Just run the wizard but when clicking the right switch does nothing - try the left switch. You don't have to wait for the UM to heat up. By the way you dont' have to wait for it to heat up to home either.

Another possibility is that it is wired just fine but the blocks don't hit it and it needs to be moved such that it triggers when the X axis moves all the way to the left.

A third possibility is there is something wrong with the switch, the wiring, or the PCB.

Posted · First prints...

Look, I've been following the limited directions for Cura. Your shoe analogy makes no sense.

I've worked with software and written software long enough to know that if the problem gives an error prompt, you do as it says and it stops there, chances are, there's a problem. Where in the Cura documentation do you see anything about randomly hitting the other sensors, hoping that will move it along? There isn't any. That's why I asked the question, posted to the support email and asked, with screen shot, on the forum. I don't want to argue with you. I just want to understand what the error is, what I should do about it and further troubleshoot it. :)

Now on to the limit switches...

I did find that when the Ultimaker goes to that far left position, the Limit Switch wasn't making contact at all. Same with the one front right (which showed the error in Cura).

I did get an email from Support...

Hi Paul,

There could be a bug in the software, so you can just continue.

Do you have the UltiController? Because then there's another way to test the end-stops.

Kind regards,

Marrit Hoffmans

Now I need how to figure out how to Test that in the Ulticontroller :D

Posted · First prints...

Okay - I'm going to suggest it again (4th time?) run cura wizard. when it asks you to hit the X right switch, push with finger directly. If you hear a click but nothing happens, try X left switch. This should tell you if as I suspect your limit switches are backwards.

Also maybe you should position your limit switches so they get an audible click when your print head gets near the left and right extremes of travel.

Posted · First prints...

The ultimaker is a kit. It's a hobby thing. Originally you had to order all the parts. Now UM will order the parts for you. Eventually they added some instructions. They are a very small outfit.

when you order a kit you are expected to build it yourself. You are expected to be able to change the design. You are expected to enjoy adding your own changes (change the nozzle, redesign the heated bed, redesign extruder and so on. Many people have made these changes, told UM and then UM changed the kit to make it better.

But it's still a kit. It's really only for people who are comfortable building everything from scratch but want a leg-up. Having said all that people seem to still think it is better than anything else out there for the same price. Hopefully some day HP will be making these things and you will just plug them in but no one is there yet as far as I can tell.

Posted · First prints...

Hold I've double checked where they connect to the controller, that part is good.

Will try hitting different switch as you suggest

Hold down til i get a different prompt or a few seconds?

Posted · First prints...

If the blocks aren't making contact with the switches, then it's not very likely that the switches are going to function, is it?

You may need to slide the switches closer to the inside of the printer body... they have slots so that they can move a little bit. You may also want to make sure that you have the right blocks on the right axes... each of them has a tab sticking out that is intended to hit the switch. Possibly if the blocks are switched around the tabs might not line up?

I did find that when the Ultimaker goes to that far left position, the Limit Switch wasn't making contact at all. Same with the one front right (which showed the error in Cura).

Posted · First prints...

Hey that worked!

Posted · First prints...

I had a bit of plastic on the tip so my bed leveling is a bit off (as noted when started a test print)

Like you said, trial and error.

The test print didnt have the CLANG CLANG CLANG effect...so indeed, progress

Posted · First prints...

Great! I hope you aren't just following instructions without thinking about it - I hope you understand now what the limit switches are for? And how they work (at least mechanically)?

Posted · First prints...

I must agree with gr5 on his argument on the second page of this thread. He says that this is a kit and a large part of it is fixing it yourself.

I think you misunderstood my last post quite extensively. I was not at all chastising you. I was simply saying what it was I was observing. And I by all means do not think that using the forums for help is a bad thing. I definitely recommend it. I am just saying that using the forums to spoon feed you all the information you need every time you encounter a flaw or inconsistency with the wiki is a bad idea. What will happen with your machine has some sort of issue and something happens, say your internet connection dies and you can't consult the forums? If you think outside of the typical consumer mindset that everything has to flow smoothly and perfectly, you will be able to troubleshoot the issue yourself and then fix it yourself. I guess what I am recommending is to only consult the forums if you are absolutely stumped. You are not the only person to buy and have an issue with a kit. Yet, I do not see a thread for every UM customer asking for help on almost every stage of assembly. Again, I am not attacking you, just recommending, for YOUR benefit that you try to problem solve a little more.

Keep in mind I was new at this at one point too and I went through assembly. That is why I have the right to say what I say.

Anyway, good luck with printer calibration. And I would listen to George's and Illuminarti's posts to the letter. They seem to know their stuff.

Posted · First prints...

Great! I hope you aren't just following instructions without thinking about it - I hope you understand now what the limit switches are for? And how they work (at least mechanically)?

Umm, yes I know how they work. Use them in the robots. However for whatever reason, when the very same limit switch was pressed the other night, it wasn't progressing along.

Who knows, maybe the flashing of the Marlin Firmware helped?

Posted · First prints...

Aaron, we're going to have to agree to disagree.

I asked questions, I'm sorry. Apparently my co-worker and I aren't as smart as the rest of you. :)

Posted · First prints...

That was not at all my implication...

Well, I guess I tried.