New Post Processing Plugin Script: OuterWallFan

brownd3

Posted (edited) · New Post Processing Plugin Script: OuterWallFan

I created a simple script for the "Post Processing" plugin called "OuterWallFan". I wanted to share this script and my experiences using it.

I print end-use parts that must be as strong as possible, but also look nice with no visual defects. I discovered that I can create strong prints by not using the cooling fan, but this usually resulted in ugly parts. On the other hand, I can use the cooling fan to make the parts look great, but they were brittle and weak. (You are probably already aware of this 🙂.)

I created the “OuterWallFan” script to balance part strength and aesthetics. I use the script to turn the cooling fan on for outer walls, and then back off for any other line type (inner wall, infill, top/bottom, first layer, etc).

I’ve had great luck producing strong and nice-looking prints with this script. I’ve tried it with PLA, ABS, and PC/PBT. I can't set the fan at 100% with ABS or I get warping, but it seems to work great at 35% to 40% fan speed.

To use the script, unzip it and copy it to the following location:
C:\Program Files\Ultimaker Cura [X.X]\plugins\PostProcessingPlugin\scripts

Then, restart Cura and select Extensions -> Post Processing -> Modify G-code. Next, select “OuterWallFan” from the "Add a Script" drop down.

Do you do something similar? Maybe others will find this as useful I have. Let me know if there are questions or problems with the script.

OuterWallFan.zip

Edited by brownd3
  • Like 5

Posted · New Post Processing Plugin Script: OuterWallFan

Great work, thanks a lot! I will definitely try it.

But your script should also be available via the Cura Marketplace. You have to check how to make it available there, I think you find the infos on Github or @ahoeben can give you a hint.

Posted (edited) · New Post Processing Plugin Script: OuterWallFan

I don’t think there’s an official way to distribute post processing scripts through the marketplace.

@ctbeke, thoughts?

Edited by ahoeben
    • Like 1

3 hours ago, ahoeben said:

I don’t think there’s an official way to distribute post processing scripts through the marketplace.

Ahh, so only for normal plugins?

On 1/26/2019 at 9:11 AM, ahoeben said:

@ctbeke, thoughts?

Indeed the Marketplace only works for full plugins and material/quality packages at the moment. I do however like the idea of distributing post processing scripts through the Marketplace as well. I'll discuss it with the product owners of Cura and Cloud and see if it's something Ultimaker will work on. Technically it shouldn't be too hard.

As a workaround you could make a small 'extension' plugin that simply copies your script to the Cura user directory on boot. I know the Dremel plugin that's currently available in the Marketplace does something similar but then for machine definition files.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
    On 1/27/2019 at 3:18 PM, ctbeke said:

Indeed the Marketplace only works for full plugins and material/quality packages at the moment. I do however like the idea of distributing post processing scripts through the Marketplace as well. I'll discuss it with the product owners of Cura and Cloud and see if it's something Ultimaker will work on. Technically it shouldn't be too hard.

As a workaround you could make a small 'extension' plugin that simply copies your script to the Cura user directory on boot. I know the Dremel plugin that's currently available in the Marketplace does something similar but then for machine definition files.

Any news about this possibility to store in one place and share such type of Posprocessing scripts ?