UM2+ Under Extrusion

3dprinting_guy

Posted · UM2+ Under Extrusion

Hello all,

I'm been fighting with under extrusion on one of my UM2+ printers. Things I have tried.

1. Changed the nozzle (replaced with an Olson ruby from another working machine)

2. Taken apart the print head and cleaned out any debris

3. Replaced the PTFE Coupler (I could feed some resistance when pushing filament through)

4. Cleaned the inside of the Bowden tube

5. Taken apart the extruder and cleaned debris

6. Set the tension on the extruder to various levels between minimum and maximum tension

7. I've reset the printer to factory (a few times) and loaded Tinker  V18.11.1

I am just trying to print the Ultimaker Robot from the SD card.

What I've noticed is that the printer will warm up, try to extrude some filament before starting to print (nothing comes out) then starts printing with no filament coming out. When I go to Maintenance -> Advanced -> Move Material and manually extrude by turning the wheel it takes a couple of turns but then filament starts to flow without issue.

The only thing not stock about this machine is a printed lever for the extruder to allow for manual filament changes.

I can see the marks on the filament showing that the extruder is biting into it.

Any suggestions or things to try would be very welcome.

3 hours ago, 3dprinting_guy said:

The only thing not stock about this machine is a printed lever for the extruder to allow for manual filament changes.

So I guess you are loading the filament manually, right? So do you push the filament forward enough that the end reaches the nozzle? I mean it could be the case, that your printer is working fine, but it takes some time until the filament gets to the end of the nozzle because you haven't pushed it enough forward. Try if you have the same problem when you load the material via the menu.

3 minutes ago, Smithy said:

So I guess you are loading the filament manually, right? So do you push the filament forward enough that the end reaches the nozzle? I mean it could be the case, that your printer is working fine, but it takes some time until the filament gets to the end of the nozzle because you haven't pushed it enough forward. Try if you have the same problem when you load the material via the menu.

I have tried that as well because when doing the factory reset to stock firmware it runs through the first time setup wizard and one of the steps is loading the filament.

Its odd because even when I prep the filament by manually feeding until filament starts to flow and it prints the robot fine, next print it will start to under extrude again.

Strange, I am nearly out of ideas, you have already tried a lot of things. 

Material diameter cannot be your problem, because you print a presliced file from the SD card.

What about feeder? Have you changed it to something else and forgot to adjust the e steps again?