Masking tape sources and quality

aaron

Posted · Masking tape sources and quality

Just wondering where I can find wide masking tape for the best price and/or quality.

I know Illuminarti is starting a store sometime. How is that coming by the way?

If anyone could throw in their two cents about where they buy their favorite wide tape that would be great.

Does anyone suggest anything other than masking tape?

It's progressing... slowly. :-) I have been self-employed for most of my life, but I have to say that 3D printing companies, and the industries around it just seem to be some of the hardest-to-deal-with that I've ever encountered. Maybe it's because my background is in software and the Internet... there the only challenges between concept and execution are primarily intellectual ones. With 3D printing there are engineering and physical execution issues to contend with as well. It just amazes me that for such a hot industry with so much buzz, actually getting anything done seems to take months to years. :-)

That said, I hope to have the online version of my store open in a few days now :-)

I think he mentioned the widest available is 2.8 inches, which I just bought a few minutes ago at my local Lowes hardware store. I have the 2 inch wide stuff from Scotch and I went with the "its blue but not Scotch" painter's tape to try it out.

I also bought an angled scraper for those hard to remove prints...and a C02 (computer cleaning 'can of air' stuff).

Barnacules Nerdgasm actually mentioned this in his many Ultimaker videos...

No, you can get it as wide as 48 inches, if you have a really big printer :-)

I'll be selling 6" x 60yd rolls for $42.99. That works out to about 10 to 15 cents a print, even if you only get 1 print out of a piece, depending on how big the prints are.

Glad to hear that it is coming along. I agree with you about the fact that this is a very involved industry. Its a huge blending of guesswork, physics, chemistry, and computer science. A lot for one man haha.

Simon,

If I were to need to buy one role now of that thick stuff (the 6"), where would you recommend? Do you have a rough estimate on when you will be in a position to sell your rolls?

Anyone know if the scotch 6" 2090 tape is available somewhere in the Netherlands? I can only find 2" and ordered a few tapes from Conrad.nl

Gus