Main board is dead on my UM2

bez

Posted (edited) · Main board is dead on my UM2

I just wanted to confirm something, I presume when there is power to the main board there are a few or at least one LED that illuminates?

The reason being is I powered my ultimaker up and after about 30 seconds it lost all power. At first I thought it was the fuse, so I replaced that but I still had no power (power supply is showing its blue led). I have gained access to the board but there are no signs of life when power is attached.

Although my power supply shows a blue led can this be trusted as its outputting?  Im happy to test, does anyone know which are the correct pins to test for voltage on the power supply plug? Then I can rule that out.

Failing that does anyone have any good trouble shooting to help narrow down the faulty part on the board?

Many thanks in advance :)

Edited by bez

• 2 weeks later...

After reading several threads in the UM community I have concluded that the 5V regulator is dead.

If anyone else is having this problem I've put links to topics I found helpful:

My power supply was outputting 24V to the board but I was getting 0V when testing voltages that should have been 5V, It wasn't easy to see the condition of the chip but one I pulled the entire board from the UM2 the U6 chip has a small burn mark on it. And there appears to be a slight singe on one of the power supply pins on the underside of the board (ill put some pics up later for reference)

78255883_friedu6chip.thumb.jpg.79d1ab773e23d21b6d72029c71681ade.jpg

2105639001_powersingeum2.thumb.jpg.8051162745b75e27a5b0fbd638b0060f.jpg

So now the board is toast and I'm not willing to spend silly money on a genuine one as its possible I could have a quirky power supply (as mentioned in a topic above) which could potentially burn out another board . So for now a wallet friendly option seems to be to take a jump at a Chinese copy board. I just hope I can upgrade the firmware ok and not burn the new one out.

This is the board Ive got my eyes on at the moment https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UM2-3D-Printer-Parts-Full-Set-Mother-Board-with-OLED-Screen-Controller-Panel-Kit/163168267234?_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20160908105057%26meid%3D833718e823684db985540298af8d7111%26pid%3D100675%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D15%26sd%3D163168267234%26itm%3D163168267234&_trksid=p2481888.c100675.m4236&_trkparms=pageci%3Ab8491c80-33e4-11e9-9d08-74dbd180d2a7|parentrq%3A03582f2d1690ab19aa98502fffe4694b|iid%3A1 

If anyone has any alternative options I'm open to suggestion :)

Edited by bez

Cheers for the link, I stumbled across it but lost the link, cheers.

Looks good and solid however by the time I bought the board, pt board and  screen etc for it to function its pushing close to £200. I think I'm going to have a stab at the super cheap chineese board and see how that pans out as Id like to keep the stock functionality as much as I can as I have my printer in a small workshop and I like the ability to print via sd card as those boards dont look like it would be simple yo put a sd card in once the board is fixed in place under the printer. 

I think the Maestro would be a option https://duet3d.com/Duet2Maestro ........ but alas no stock 😞

If the cheap option fails it looks like the duet3D is my best option either that or the UM2 goes to 3d printer heaven lol

Edited by bez

Posted · Main board is dead on my UM2
    7 hours ago, hungbertos said:

hi Bez. I'm in the same boat now and curious what did you end up doing with your ultimaker? 

Hey bud. I ended up buying a main board from China, I suppose the main benefit of being opensource lol it cost me about £60 wired up all fine and I've had no issues since. 

Only issue I have now is when my power supply has a tantrum... Ie decides not to power the um2...... but if you un plug it for a couple of days and make sure its not plugged in when not in use I've been able to nurse it along. I'm not a fan of having to pay over £100 for a new psu... Yuk

Posted · Main board is dead on my UM2

Would you be able to link me to the one you purchased?   Does ultimaker firmware work fine?