Cura 3.6 how to print mid-air

Vlad3

Posted · Cura 3.6 how to print mid-air

Hello everyone. I'm new to 3D printing and i am trying to continue a failed print by printing the remaining piece from the last achieved layer height. I've managed to move the remaining piece to the necessary height, but, even though the model is mid-air, viewing the model in 'layer view' projects the object and slices it back on the bed, leaving nothing but a ghosted image of the object i'm actually trying to print. I'm not sure what to do at this point. Any advice would be great.

Untitled-1.thumb.jpg.cccf96da918b6abe6ac421e86ceef9d7.jpg

Smithy, I did that before posting, and, as the picture shows, it moves the object on the z axis, but the slicer doesn't care, it will slice the object from the bed up. In the meantime i've found an improvised and not at all ideal way into tricking the software it's printing from the bottom up, by adding a thin extruded tube far enough from the object so it doesn't hit it, and then it connects to the last layer via a thin horizontal tube. It does the trick, but it had to be aligned manually with the previous position, because the extra tubes had shifted the center of the object. Not ideal 

Untitled-1.jpg

It is strange, and there was a thread a few days ago with the same problem. I cannot remember the outcome, but I assume it is a bug in Cura. Because the solid view and layer view should be the same.

Maybe you could in CAD model a couple of little dots on the floor, separate from the real model? Then these dots will sit on the glass. All the rest will be at the desired height above it.

The idea would be a bit similar to the cross-hairs in printing, to align the different ink colors cyan, magenta, yellow and black.

On 7/5/2019 at 6:22 PM, usonic said:

Disabling "Remove Empty First Layers" allowed to slice in mid-air.

this did the trick. thanks

• Like 2