Infill looks like and is soft like spiderweb

jensleander

Posted · Infill looks like and is soft like spiderweb

Hey guys :)

After a lot of wonderful prints i ran out of the stock grey filament. Therefore i bought new filament from faberdashery.

After lots of trouble with blocking and so on i finally got it to print almost as well as with my old PLA.

But the infill is terrible I could live with that if it has normal strength but i has not.

Picture:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/a8178vy4we5cptr/foto.JPG

It is soft like spiderwebs in layers I can sink my finger in to it. On the outside my prints is almost perfect.

Has anyone seen anything like it before? I really hope so :)

And thank you for a vey nice and kind forum :)

Cheers /Jens

Yeah, i've struggled with this from time to time. It has a lot to do with the viscosity of filament when melted. It also has to do with a nonlinear relationship between extrusion force and amount of material extruded. I would try raising the temp 10°and lowering your infill speed 20mm/s. If that solves the problem, you can probably try to find a middleground somewhere faster and cooler.

Generally speaking, though, it looks like your print is underextruding regardless of the infill qualtiy. I would try raising the temp and increasing your flow rate until your solid sections are printing with good density, and then tackle the infill problem. You may end up solving both at once.

Nick speaks wisely. Your problem is underextrusion but there is a third cause he didn't consider:

Is your infill speed faster than your print speed? If so then you can leave the print speed alone - you only have to slow down the infill speed (or raise temperature). A part like this appears to have no stringing issues (no times when the head jumps a gap) so I would print it at 240C. At 240C you can print much faster than at 190 to 210C.

Good call. Cura should do a better job of overcompensating on extrusion rate when infill is faster than skin speed. Extrusion frequently doesn't keep up. I always keep infill speed set to 0 so that it matches perimeter speeds for this exact reason.

Alright guys thanks a lot! And sorry for this late reply.

I like changing one perimeter at a time to see what happens. I started out with the temperature and raised it from 200C to 220C still printing at 70mm/s speed and it really fixed the problem. Before posting i tried to raise the temperature just 10C and it didn't help but 20C did.

So, thank you so much :)