sntinel

Broke one of the connectors on my UM3 Heatbed

Posted · Broke one of the connectors on my UM3 Heatbed

Instead of buying a whole new heatbed for $180, is there an adhesive I can use to repair this?

pcb.jpg

I am not an expert on this type of thing, but that connection carries a lot of current. It is the type of connection that can cause fires when it has a bit of resistance and/or partially disconnects during use. It is something you will want to be careful with.

I personally would try it with a silver-soldered joint. But you need to have high temperature soldering equipment (flame soldering).

Adhesive, no.  Solder, yes.  You don't need silver.  Ordinary solder is fine up to 200C.

Unfortunately the copper trace is ripped.

I would personally fix this by scraping the black coating off the copper for the next 5mm or so of trace then solder the wire directly to the trace.  If it feels pretty solid then at that point I would also add some strain relief: probably glue the wire down to the edge of the board.  Use a glue that can handle up to 110C.  Or I might drill two tiny holes close to the edge of the board and use a metal wire looping through the holes to clamp down on the power wire.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for the advise.  I'm not too skilled at soldering so I just ended up buying a new replacement.  That said, I will practice my soldering skills now that I have this spare board ;)