LIMIT SWITCH HASN'T PROBLEM BUT ER17...WHY?

dminsb

Posted · LIMIT SWITCH HASN'T PROBLEM BUT ER17...WHY?

Unexpectedly today, While I changed the material,

My Ultimaker3 show me the error massage "ER17 - The X or Y axis is stuch or the limit switch is broken", at the same time with the Head trying to move more back & left

(with a sound 'ddadadadadadadadadaa~~~~~~!@!@!@'),

Although it has already arrived at home position. 

(troubleshooting : ER17)

https://ultimaker.com/en/resources/23151-the-x-or-y-axis-is-stuck-or-the-limit-switch-is-broken

But the limit switch has working while "System > Maintenance > Print Head > Home.

So, I think the switch is not broken physically. it works...

So why?

Is there anyone has the problem same with my case?

How did you solve that issue??

I'm very familiar with the "dadadadada" sound.  It sounds horrible but the printer will not be damaged.

It could be intermittent.  Try homing 10 times. It could be a bad wire but more likely the switch is at the edge where sometimes it clicks/triggers and other times it doesn't.  Push the head around towards the corner (back left) and listen for the limit switches to click.  Do one at a time - so push the head to the left edge and to the rear edge separately.

The X switch has two screws close together holding it on the top rear of the printer.  Usually the fix is to bend the metal part of the switch out a bit so it clicks sooner.

The Y switch is triggered by one of the rods that passes through the head - the rod sticks out beyond the left slider block and hits the switch.  Usually the problem with this one is that the rod moved and isn't sticking out far enough so somtimes it misses.

The problem could also be electrical or a faulty switch or a damaged wire but usually the problem is mechanical.

• Like 1

I had this happen to me yesterday, it has never happened before. I was performing the maintenance procedure for cleaning the print head. I normally do this manually without using the menu system. For some reason I used the maintenance menu to clean the head yesterday, this is the first time I have used this feature since I have owned my UM3. I have done hot and cold pulls manually in the past many times in the past though. At the start of the procedure when the print returned to the home position the problem occurred. I thought it may have been an aberration caused by some dirt or other issue so I tried again using the menu system. The same problem occurred. I therefore performed the hot and cold pulls without using the maintenance menu.

Strange thing is that the printer performed normally after this during normal printing operations.

Lesson learned for me - don't use the maintenance system for print head maintenance.

My guess is that the home position for the automatic procedure is not correct or the range is too specific.

Anyone else had this problem (excepting the responses above).

2 hours ago, CapableQuad said:

I had this happen to me yesterday, it has never happened before. I was performing the maintenance procedure for cleaning the print head. I normally do this manually without using the menu system. For some reason I used the maintenance menu to clean the head yesterday, this is the first time I have used this feature since I have owned my UM3. I have done hot and cold pulls manually in the past many times in the past though. At the start of the procedure when the print returned to the home position the problem occurred. I thought it may have been an aberration caused by some dirt or other issue so I tried again using the menu system. The same problem occurred. I therefore performed the hot and cold pulls without using the maintenance menu.

Strange thing is that the printer performed normally after this during normal printing operations.

Lesson learned for me - don't use the maintenance system for print head maintenance.

My guess is that the home position for the automatic procedure is not correct or the range is too specific.

Anyone else had this problem (excepting the responses above).

Yes, I quite agree with your opinion.

It doesn't happened any more at normal printing.

And I changed the X,Y offset 0 to +4.0 to prevent this problem.

Remained issue is, I can't use the material change menu because scared that there is possibility the issue occurs again..

So I should change the material manually..

Yes, I don't have any issues as long as I dont use the maintenance option to do head cleaning. I guess we should report it as a firmware or hardware issue if it is prevalent for others?

Posted (edited) · LIMIT SWITCH HASN'T PROBLEM BUT ER17...WHY?
    15 hours ago, CapableQuad said:

Yes, I don't have any issues as long as I dont use the maintenance option to do head cleaning. I guess we should report it as a firmware or hardware issue if it is prevalent for others?

I think so too, The limit switch in my UM3 has no problem mechanically.

So, I wish this issue should be resolved by software or firmware update.

Edited by dminsb

Posted (edited) · LIMIT SWITCH HASN'T PROBLEM BUT ER17...WHY?

The problem was occurred again during the Printhaed coming to home (origin) when the normal printing ended.

And the problem has occurring always since that. (Printhead to home, Material Change, etc...)

So, I did factory reset. But that problem was occurred during the starting setup too.

(Today, It was ended up the starting setup in one way or another.)

I attached the VIDEO file that filmed the problem.

What can I do to resolve this issue?

Should I replace the Limit Switch?

(My UM3's warranty is remained about a month, I bought it Apr,2018)

20190318_174202.zip

Edited by dminsb

a mi me paso este problema ,  y era el final de carrera del eje y, doble la lamina suavemente hacia afuera y solucionado el problema.

1 hour ago, ewrykmy said:

a mi me paso este problema ,  y era el final de carrera del eje y, doble la lamina suavemente hacia afuera y solucionado el problema.

Hi ewrykmy,

I tried bend the metal plate on the limit switch, but the problem has still been occurring.

I get this same issue, now every time I try and do a system maintenance printhead home, or a print job it goes back to the home position and gets stuck with X or Y axis is stuck and I hear the DDaddadaa noise when it goes back to home on X axis.

I tried the steps on Ultimaker site https://support.ultimaker.com/hc/en-us/articles/360011573780-The-X-or-Y-axis-is-stuck-or-the-limit-switch-is-broken-ER17 but doesn't do anything.

I tried manually pushing printhead back home along the X axis can hear the X axis limit switch click, do the same with the Y axis and hear it click as well.