Excessive Travel Path

alexjx

Posted · Excessive Travel Path

Hi all,

I'm trying to understand a travel path that causing blob on the surface. I've enabled both "retract at layer change" and "retract before outer wall". The travel is to the skin wall with retraction. 

Combing is set to "within infill". What makes the print bad is that the path generated seems a bit off the skin before it could start print. (see the picture).

Is there any option I could tweak to get rid of this? Thanks.

Jia 

2019-03-06_06h29_36.thumb.png.dcc36e5ce7c09661d898ba9e1ee87840.png

Hi @alexjx, you did the right thing but I can't import the project settings because the project uses a machine definition I don't have. No matter, please attach your gcode that was produced from that project and the settings should be in the gcode file and it would be useful to see the gcode anyway. Thanks.

Hello @alexjx, I have managed to slice that model using your profile. I can see what it's doing. Well, the simple solution is not to use the within infill combing mode. Using either no skin (IMHO, the only mode worth using) or all doesn't cause that weird travel overshoot. Honestly, the within infill mode really is as much use as a chocolate frying pan!

• Like 1

BTW, I reckon that if you use gyroid infill you could probably halve the density and it would still be adequate...

Screenshot_2019-03-06_10-23-31.thumb.png.378586b1b21923af8670e3a96cf937a0.png

• Like 1

@smartavionics Thank you very much for the infill tip. 🙂 

I tried "not in skin" too. but there is also a similar issue. I'm not sure if they are related.

2019-03-06_19h40_15.thumb.png.d0b1e5efbcd329cc19c6d29d78a64c36.png

Posted (edited) · Excessive Travel Path

Ah, yes, it's the avoid printed parts when travelling setting, turn that off. I still recommend that you do not use combing mode within infill.

Edited by burtoogle
    • Thanks 1

Thanks! 

Hey @alexjx, you can save another 20+  mins of printing time on that part by enabling the wall print order optimisation.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, smartavionics said:

Ah, yes, it's the avoid printed parts when travelling setting, turn that off. I still recommend that you do not use combing mode within infill.

Why not combing on infill? From precision point of view, it should be desired to avoid dripping on areas where the object should not have material.

It's a recommendation for the printer model to avoid grinding or just is from the theory that 'dripping where you don't see doesn't matter' ? Because that's a very subjective matter. 

Hello @neotko, it's not the fact that it combs on the infill when you use that mode that is the problem. The problem with that mode is that it is unaware of where the part's walls and skins are and so will happily cross a skin region (dribbling as it goes).

• Thanks 1

Aha, I see it now. so "within infill" will only consider the start and end point if it's "infill" but not in between. That's why once I was printing a spring, it travels across the whole spring only if I set to "within infill". Thank you again for explaining this. 🙂 

2019-02-04_21h05_28.thumb.png.a6201f00af550e7d3e80e00205785e77.png

• Like 1

8 hours ago, smartavionics said:

Hello @neotko, it's not the fact that it combs on the infill when you use that mode that is the problem. The problem with that mode is that it is unaware of where the part's walls and skins are and so will happily cross a skin region (dribbling as it goes).

Ahh I get it now! Ty!