V3DPrinting

S5 Glassplate chipping with ABS

Posted · S5 Glassplate chipping with ABS

Dear community members

I have an S5 for 3 months or so and I'm suddenly facing issues with the glass plate chipping when printing with modified ABS (FormFutura Titan X).

I print on 2 Ultimaker 3 Extended for more than a year and know that PETG is prone to do that sort of damages. Mainly if the first layer is too squished.

I print on the plate with a very thin layer of 3D Lac (not Dimafix) with a moderately hot bed : 80°C (minimum temp according to FormFutura guidelines). First layer is not squished at all.

The print finished yesterday around 10 pm and I removed it today at 10 am. So it was at room temp.

I had some slices of glass chipped off the build plate. Here's a picture, though not easy to take.

I had the same issues yesterday with the same material, but different parts and using the other side of the plate.

As the adhesion is moderate with 3D Lac, I suspect that the build plate have some flaws / quality issues.

Thanks for your feedback

David

IMG_3405.jpg

In addition, finishing the print run, I had another time the same chipping issue.

Hopefully it was on the same glassplate. So now it is really dead on both sides.

Has someone had the same issues with the S5 glass plates ?

I have not. I use a PVA slurry that can be dissolved. If frozen, will cut loose.

I have chipped glass with PLA.

So, I am thinking it should not be the glass.

Posted (edited) · S5 Glassplate chipping with ABS

Hi Kman

Being a service provider, PVA is a PITA to manage (application, removal) so I use sprays mostly.

Printing ABS with PVA doesn't make the trick, generally I go with Dimafix, but for that specific grade 3D Lac is sufficient.

I use glass plates from my local supplier on a Mankati Full-scale XT Plus, 4mm heat tempered glass made to measures, without chipping issues so far.

What's why I'm wondering if there isn't an issue with the genuine Ultimaker S5 glass plate....

BTW it would have been good to have the aluminium build plate.

Edited by V3DPrinting

1 hour ago, V3DPrinting said:

Printing ABS with PVA doesn't make the trick

This I get. But I did not make clear that point or that it was just a thought of having something that would provide for a barrier. :)

Sorry I clarify my point.

Printing ABS with PVA doesn't work well for warping, not consistent compared to Dimafix spray.

3 hours ago, V3DPrinting said:

Hi Kman

Being a service provider, PVA is a PITA to manage (application, removal) so I use sprays mostly.

Printing ABS with PVA doesn't make the trick, generally I go with Dimafix, but for that specific grade 3D Lac is sufficient.

I use glass plates from my local supplier on a Mankati Full-scale XT Plus, 4mm heat tempered glass made to measures, without chipping issues so far.

What's why I'm wondering if there isn't an issue with the genuine Ultimaker S5 glass plate....

BTW it would have been good to have the aluminium build plate.

I mean not to throw a random punch; and yet.

Your issue is a great example of what the aluminum build plate was solicited to eliminate.

Takes care 

I'm having this exact same issue on my S5, though I am printing polycarbonate.   Lots and lots of polycarbonate.

I never use tools to remove parts from the build plate, I just wait until the part cools and it detaches itself.  The shear force of cooling must be hard on the borosilicate.  

The part below was a 13-hour job consuming most of the build plate, so the bed was at high temperature for a long time.  I use school glue for adhesion (since this is polycarb) and in general the part's pretty well stuck onto the plate until the bed cools.

I need to stock up on build plates I suppose!

(by the way, weren't we supposed to get aluminum plates a long time ago?)

You can see the divot below and also the piece of glass embedded in the printed part, which is kind of cool when you think of it.

/Mitch.

IMG_0616.jpeg

IMG_0615.jpeg

38 minutes ago, MitchL said:

I need to stock up on build plates I suppose!

(by the way, weren't we supposed to get aluminum plates a long time ago?)

Yes aluminium plate would have been great ! But the project was cancelled at Ultimaker, so we would get an extra glass plate.

I am thinking of having some glass plates done by my local supplier for my S5.

It's not cheaper, but I suspect quality is better as far as I can see on my Mankati.

I have the same issue when printing PC. So I do understand why Ultimaker cancelled the aluminium plate, they make a lot more money of us with all the glass plates we have to replace. 😉