stellou_fry

Print with 2 materials : ABS and TPU95 - Ultimaker S5

Posted · Print with 2 materials : ABS and TPU95 - Ultimaker S5

Good afternoon all, 

I did an experimental test last week to print with two materials : ABS and TPU-95. I wanted to print a mesh with flexible joints (in TPU95) and stiff sections (in ABS). The print quality was not very good and the flexible TPU-95 material generated strands of plastic (we don't see them well on the pictures).In addition the connection between the two materials were not good and broke easily.

Has anyone already tested to print with these two materials and have some tips to improve the print ? Do strands of plastic come from TPU 95 in itself or from the fact I print with two different materials ? Howe can I avoid them ?

And do you know if there are two materials, one flexible and one stiffer preferably, compatible together and with the Ultimaker ?

Thank you for your help ! 

mesh_2_photo.thumb.jpg.2c55999ecceb52ec9cb2cad308f61048.jpgmesh_1_photo.thumb.jpg.6f7d7e98a5eac87be757e7989a687c5a.jpg

mesh_1_photo.jpg

If the design allows, you might try making a continuous layer of TPU every X number of layers to tie the islands of TPU together and encourage bonding with the ABS.

I have successfully printed toothed belts of TPU with 'buckets' of ABS attached at intervals - see https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3472635. The stl files are "Belt_for_buckets_21.stl" and "Buckets_21.stl".

The buckets are mechanically locked to the belt, but much of the belt width is a continuous circle. The buckets seem to weld to the belt well.

I have found that very thin sections of TPU are not a good idea - you could try making the TPU nodes of your mesh larger. Try putting small holes/slots near the ends of the links, and have these embedded in the TPU modes.