Ikarisan

Cura3.6 and 4beta: I can't get rid of the stringing while S3D produced nice results :(

Posted (edited) · Cura3.6 and 4beta: I can't get rid of the stringing while S3D produced nice results :(

Hi!

After using S3D for almost two years I wanted to try out an a little more advanced slicer... CURA 3.6. 🙂

But with CURA I have extreme stringing and I don't know why.

I first noticed the problem when I wanted to print a fan duct for my HEVO printer and the inner travel area was full of blobs (fan_duct.jpg).
Then I tried to print this object: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2563909

The results were damn bad. 😞 Not much string between the two pillars but oozing filament during the moves (cura_result.jpg)

I played with the retraction distance (2.2mm to 4.8mm), the retraction speed (40mm/s to 100mm/s) and many other parameters but the result shown in "cura_result.jpg" is the best I got. Shortly before I wanted to throw the printer on the garbage, I printed the same object with S3D with mostly the same settings (2.2mm retraction @ 60mm/s, 70mm/s printing speed..) and I got got a nearly perfect result (left_cura__right_S3D.jpg <= the white objects! - made by a guy who has the same problem. My S3D result was better.)! O.o

Yesterday I deleted alle settings and profiles from Cura and started from scratch.... same results. 😞

What am I doing wrong?

Printer: Anet AM8 with DuetWifi2 board
Filament: PETG 1.75mm (DasFilament) printed at 230°C
Hotend: E3Dv6 (original) with 30cm bowden tube (cabricon)
Extruder: Bondtech BMG extruder
TravelSpeed: 160mm/s
Acceleration: 2000mm/s²
Printing speed: 70mm/s
Part fan @ 25%

Tested software: Cura 3.6.0 / Cura 4beta2 and Cura master (1st march 2019) / Simplify3D 4.1.1

left_cura__right_S3D.jpg

cura_result.jpg

fan_duct.jpg

Edited by Ikarisan

Posted · Cura3.6 and 4beta: I can't get rid of the stringing while S3D produced nice results :(

I figured out that these blobs only appear on UNRETRACTIONs, as you can see in this video: