PostProcessing Script for IDEX printers

Bracco

Posted · PostProcessing Script for IDEX printers

Hi everybody,

i hope this is the most appropriate place to post this, anyway:

if you own an IDEX (independent dual extruder, or dual x) printer you'll know that Cura does not officially have support for that, and while it still works, the produced gcode nullifies every advantage you have with such a printer.

so, enter my little postprocessing script. it just refactors the gcode around the toolchange command to suit IDEX printers better. it makes a whole world of difference. Options are pretty self explanatory i think.

find it here https://github.com/Braccoz/IdexFixes

• 1 month later...

Hello. I've got the project of modify my printer (homemade with Duet wifi board) to an IDEX system. Your script is for what version of Cura ? Cura 3.x, 4.0, or BCN3D Cura. Sorry for my english I'm french.

• 4 months later...

Hello Bracco, this sounds exactly like what I was looking for my idex printer.

I checked out your github link but I'm not familiar with coding so could you help me to figure out how to use your script?

A step by step guide would be really appreciated. 

Thank you so much. 

hi, you just download the file and drop it in C:\Program Files\Ultimaker Cura 4.2\plugins\PostProcessingPlugin\scripts

then restart Cura and you will see it in the PostProcessing plugin. there are just a couple of options which are pretty self explanatory

Hey Bracco, I have downloaded your script and tried using it on a print. I have T Rex 3. This works great for the first couple tool changes, however, it reaches a point ( generally after 2 switches) that the script no longer seems to change anything, and the extruder extrudes a little material on the part printed by the previous extruder. I'm using:

Remove Layer Start X/Y : TRUE

Working mode : Auto Park

I have set my Z seam X and Y to the same for each extruder so that the values are the same for each layer... is that the right setting you mean?

thank you so much!

hey, it's strange because the script just looks for toolchanges and makes some modifications of the g-code around that, so if it works for the first few it makes no sense because after the first, every toolchange should be the same.

anyway if you can post the gcode i can take a look

Hello,

Here's the gcode. I've also included the profile of the settings I am using.

Thanks,

block.gcode blocks.curaprofile

Posted (edited) · PostProcessing Script for IDEX printers

hi, i took a quick look at the gcode, here are my considerations:

• looks like you're using marlin. default mode for marlin idex is full control, but you selected "auto park" in my plugin. you sure that is right?
    • when you say it works for the first few changes then stops, you mean that the movement behaviour of the toolheads changes or that you simply start to get blobs?
    • i see you're using z-hop and a crazy amount of retraction (10mm) are you sure you need that much? (edit: in the settings i see 5mm but the gcode retracts 10...)
    • it seems like you're using some other kind of custom g-code or plugin that does not work really well, see this line M106 P1 S[fan_speed_pwm]. that is indeed a placeholder for the fanspeed that did not get correctly replaced. dunno if that may or may not upset the firmware
    Edited by Bracco

Hi 3DP folks, I'm a 3DP lover and likes cura soo much.

For dual extruder case, i need some suggestions regarding.

"Whenever nozzle switching happens, The tool head is coming to the bed center where part is located, passing through the print and then going to the prime tower, this time gap is creating to ooze more in ideal time, i have used first layer temp, default printing temp, nozzle switch temp and standby temp all equal and as low as 190 degree.

My question is..,

1) How to bring the hot end directly to prime tower with out passing through the Printing part?"

2) Is there any G code over ride or expression variable to enable start G code to go to prime tower directly. I have tried in Start G code extruder 1 with G01 X200 Y200(same location of prime tower) but still again nozzle behavior is same like passing through the print then going to prime tower address and coming back with ooze.

3) Finally i tried with Ooze shield, one thing noticed is whenever nozzle switch is there, the nozzle directly comes into part, without printing ooze shield which i think is not correct, if the path is along ooze shield and then it is coming into path then only ooze can be controlled.

Request not to suggest with both Ooze shield and prime tower which will take more time, also i tried with nozzle wiping using brass brush making a parking location, even it hasn't worked out.

Please have a look into it to resolve, will be eagerly waiting for your reply.

i assume you have an idex printer, right?

1) if you mean bypassing the movements to the print and directly go to the movements to reach the prime tower, this plugin is for that exactly

2) if i understand correctly, use this plugin and  check the remove layer star x/y, then enable skirt or brim for your print, as there is a limitation in cura which will make it not prime the first extruder on the first layer unless skirt or brim is enabled

3) ooze shield should not be needed

nozzle wiping won't work, eventually it will just pick up stuff rather than depositing it, prime tower is the only way

hey Bracco,

Thank you so much for the quick response,

Finally someone who can understand my problem.

Yes u r right, i'm using IDEX (custom fff 3DP DIY IDEX)

Have been working on this since 3 months, Getting good results but still can see the fusion marks of two materials left by ooze.

After my keen observation i came to know that whenever there is a tool switch the extruder is going on to the part and again moving out for the prime tower causing deposition of one material on other.

Need some support for post G code control, Tried the plugin which u gave already, its available with  BCN3D plugin.

Thanks for the suggestion and can u figure out where i am missing to get perfect prints.

Also suggest something for mirror mode, i'm using cura 4.3 & Marlin 1.1

Thanks in advance!!

Posted (edited) · PostProcessing Script for IDEX printers

i can't help you with mirror mode as i've never used it.

i can tell you that with stock cura and this plugin you can get very nice, clean results. also, i suggest to upgrade to marlin 2.0

i never tried bcn3d cura

Edited by Bracco

Oh Thanks Bracco,  I'm new here and felt nice to connect with u.

I'm from India - Hyderabad any suggestions for IDEX, I want to follow someone who knows or working on IDEX!?

If u don't mind, Can you explain what exactly is Slicer control & Auto-parking modes affect the prints.

those refer to marlin docs. see the appropriate section in https://github.com/MarlinFirmware/Marlin/blob/2.0.x/Marlin/Configuration_adv.h

Hey @Bracco, are you able to describe what exactly your post processing script does? I have installed it (cura 4.8.0) but I don't know what the script is supposed to do or possibly what its not doing (for me)? what is the "layer start x/y bug"?

I have just finished a IDEX build and the problem I now have is that on tool change T0 or T1, the finished extruder gets parked and the new extruder comes into play... however it moves to the last position of the previous extruder and sits there oozing until the nozzle hits temperature.

ie, if I print two isolated cubes side by side,  a white cube on the left with extruder 1, and a black cube on the right with extruder 2, once E1 has finished printing the first layer of the white cube, it is parked, then E2 moves right ontop the white cube layer and sits there waiting to reach reach temp, before then jumping over to the right to print the first layer of the black cube.

I am a little lost on how to change this...

On 3/6/2020 at 12:44 AM, Bracco said:

hi, i took a quick look at the gcode, here are my considerations:

• looks like you're using marlin. default mode for marlin idex is full control, but you selected "auto park" in my plugin. you sure that is right?
    •  
    • i see you're using z-hop and a crazy amount of retraction (10mm) are you sure you need that much? (edit: in the settings i see 5mm but the gcode retracts 10...)

First off, thanks!  I've put g-code in the extruder stop/start places before, but am curious to check out your script.

I wanted to note here (maybe relevant?) that the "change at z" script has issues when you have z-hop enabled (specifically, settings don't 'stick'). I don't know if that's an issue for you, but you could check it or keep it in mind.

I'm running Marlin as well, really writing up brief instructions would be of general use. Mostly I just wanted to tell you about z-hop. I'll update if I learn more.