UM 2 + Ext Replacing the heated built plate

vwguy16

Posted · UM 2 + Ext Replacing the heated built plate

We have been having a heat sensor error on our printer so we have bought a new plate kit from 3D GB Ire.  first off I`ve noticed that the shape of the new plate is a little different, I`m hoping its just an upgraded part. But my biggest issue is that none of the wires on the new cable are colour coded like the original.  There were no instructions sent with the kit so I`m guessing I`m going to have to just do a continuity check on the new cable to match them up with the correct connections on the bed and circuit board?

Also while the printer is apart I have noticed that the circuit board is seeing some heat discolouration. Is this normal ?

Thanks,

Andy

20190313_135552.jpg

Hi vwguy16,

Welcome in here.

As far as I'll know, the heated build plate used in UM2+ is the same as used in the UM2 and you find it here:

https://3dgbire.com/collections/spare-parts/products/ultimaker-heated-bed

The brownish color around the stepper driver IC's is kind of normal for this printer.

You can reduce the heath build up by using an external fan directed toward the vent opening.

I've installed two small fan outside the metal shield covering blowing into the main circuit board -and my PCB have no sign of overheat, still looks as brand new..

Also worth to know is that the little PT100 sensor on the heat bed somtimes fail, and can be changed.

Thanks

Torgeir.

Thanks for the info Torgeir.  Its very odd they dont colour code the wiring anymore. 2 grey and 2 black wires in the new cable...doesnt make it easy to fit.

Hi vwguy16,

Just some more info; the two black wires is power for the heater, the two gray wires is going to the PT100 temperature sensor.

Both, the heater and the temp sensor is not polarity sensitive, as they are floating from ground.

When looking into the printer, the two connecting points to the left is for the heat bed and the two to the right is for the PT100 temperature sensor.

Good luck

Torgeir-

• Like 2