Converting UM2+ to UM3+ (the hard way)

Posted · Converting UM2+ to UM3+ (the hard way)

Hello,

I am converting my UM2+  to a UM3   ( I was gifted the UM2+  so it's not toooo crazy for me to invest in converting  🙂

I just received the Olimex A20 LIME2 board,  I have the UM3 head assembly and 2 cores,

I 3D printed the Nozzle Shift lever bracket on my Form-2 and will use the UM3 cad file to properly locate the drill holes to position the nozzle shifter on the right cabinet wall.

I found the files to load the linux system

I'm having trouble locating a wiring diagram for the UM3 system.

I think I need to get the Olimex adapter board 2005-H ?

I just need to see what other components I need to buy before I tear it apart 🙂

Sorry I love hour idea, but somehow isn’t easier to put a duet3d board, a better PSU (the only real work the um3 linux board does is to control the amps use of each head). 99% of the magic of um3 is all cura. 

You could also use mark2 firmware (that does that 1% magic cura can’t) and have a um2.5 working with a bit of effort but less money.

As for um3 firmware they never released the source, (github style) but you can download the restore  boot image and current firmware if you google a bit inside the forum and their website.

Anyhow, good luck and keep modding!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, neotko said:

(the only real work the um3 linux board does is to control the amps use of each head). 99% of the magic of um3 is all cura.

This is simply untrue. Cura Connect is not Cura. Cura Connect is a print queueing system, and runs entirely on the Olimex board. Cura (the desktop application) can talk with Cura Connect to send printsa and show progress, but you can do much of the same from a browser. The Olimex board does more though, like managing materials and switching active cores.

And there is the issue of you know, the display, doing the switching, handling the calibration, recognizing cores, etc. Changing out the firmware on the ollimex for something else is no easy feat.

Since I have the Olimex already, I plan to use it,

I really just want to hook it all up like the UM3 has it,  and load the FW backup image and see how it goes.

I want the full capabilities of the CORES the RGB indication lights, the capacitive autolevel sensor etc.

Once I find a wiring diagram I should be close to having the info I need.

I think I need to buy or make the Olimex adapter board though.

Do I need to swap out the display?  or is it the same as the UM2 hardware ?

Do I need to flash the Ultiboard with something else also ?

I can build all the cables etc.

I realize this probably all sounds idiodic,  but it IS the direction I am moving forward with..

Also going to integrate the DoBot Magician on the sliding rail kick to grab finished prints and then I'll find a way to auto start a re-print command, hopefully form the DoBot controller.   to automate 3D printing

• Like 1

On 3/14/2019 at 10:14 AM, ahoeben said:

This is simply untrue. Cura Connect is not Cura. Cura Connect is a print queueing system, and runs entirely on the Olimex board. Cura (the desktop application) can talk with Cura Connect to send printsa and show progress, but you can do much of the same from a browser. The Olimex board does more though, like managing materials and switching active cores.

That's not 'um3' magic, that's just another program

But, you could do that on a Duet3D, more rustic, but totally doable since um3 doesn't pop the print out and like in 99% of the printers you need to go there, remove the print and go to your station.

As 'magic' I mean the heat/cold sequence to print, the amps control to manage the weak PSU.

Ofc if you mean as 'magic' the start-end sequence that the Core need to avoid clogging hard, ok, that's the linux firmware pythons.

• Like 1