phantom

Initial First layer expansion Cura 4.0

Posted · Initial First layer expansion Cura 4.0

Hi guys,

I've come upon a bug in "Initial Layer Horizontal Expansion"

Printed a couple of calibration cubes with setting going from 0.52mm to -0.52mm and there was absolutely no change in measurement in the cubes elephant foot, whilst this isn't a small difference ?

@smartavionics

Attached gcode,

Cube 1 = + value of 0.52mm

Cube 2 = - value of 0.52mm

Cube 1.gcode Cube 2.gcode

Hello @phantom, in those two files, the settings at the end of each of those files do not contain a value for xy_offset_layer_0 which is what the Initial Layer Horizontal Expansion setting is called internally. So, for some reason, you are not setting that to a non-zero value. Can you please attach the project file (.3mf). Thanks.

Sorry @phantom, those are not project files, they only contain the model and not the settings. Please do File->Save (not export!) This catches a lot of people out and I have requested that the menu gets altered to make it more obvious but the Cura developers didn't want to do that.

Posted (edited) · Initial First layer expansion Cura 4.0

Hi @phantom, the answer to this little mystery is that setting the slicing tolerance to exclusive had the effect of changing the bottom layer. Setting the slicing tolerance to middle shows the missing layer which is indeed shrunk as you can see from the image.

This looks like a bug to me because I would have thought that the first layer horizontal expansion should not be influenced by the slicing tolerance.

Screenshot_2019-03-17_07-26-22.thumb.png.b62ffdef0235fb2a6b54819785a2ce18.png

Edited by smartavionics