hyiu0000

Build plate checking without adjustment

Posted · Build plate checking without adjustment

Hi,

Is it possible to verify the build plate calibration without going through the adjustment process again?   That means I just want to home the print head to the three points for checking.  Thanks.

Actually I wonder if there is a way to generate a G code to home the print head to the three points without printing?

Just for plays I created a gcode file you can test with.

The file is a a print job that will move to the 3 manual levelling locations and remains 5 seconds at each location before moving on.

Since you didn't mention your printer model I created this for the UM3. For the other printer models you'll have to change the head positions.

Note that manual levelling is only to be done when you think something changed in your printer or its environment. There pass multiple months where I don't re-calibrate.

bed_check.gcode

• Like 1

Hi CarloK,  Thanks for your code.  I wonder can this code be used in UM2E+ ?  Because I do not understand how to change the head positions.  Do you mean I should modify the Gcode myself?

Yes, I meant you to change the gcode yourself by opening the file in an editor / text processor. I understand you've never done this before so I attached a file for the UM2(+) / UM2E(+). This isn't tested since I don't have such a printer here for testing now.

UM2_bed_check.gcode

• Like 1

Thanks and the code was tested okay.  The only thing is I added one more z-hop before the first move.   Also it should go to the left side before the right side to make it the same as the normal calibration steps.  I was trying to add a statement //action:pause without success.  I want to be able to manually push the button to proceed instead of wait for a fix number of seconds.

The sequence for the buildplate locations on the UM2 and UM3 differ. My original version was for the UM3 and I didn't change it when converting to the UM2.

I don't think there is a command to stop the printer until a button is pressed. Strange, it makes sense to have such a command, maybe I'm overlooking something. You can't use the pause command since that will also move the bed.

Other options:

- Take full manual control by installing the pronterface program.

• Like 1

Did some more research.

TheUM3 has no gcode for pausing until a button is pressed, but the UM2(+) has.

The M0 and M1 commands will stop the print until the specified time has passed or the user presses a button.

Parameter P = time in milliseconds

Parameter S = time in seconds.

"M0 P2000" waits 2000 milliseconds or button press

"M0 S2" waits 2 seconds or button press

"M0" waits for button presse

• Like 1