UM3 Auto Leveling Not Working

Ronan

Posted · UM3 Auto Leveling Not Working

Hi all, been awhile (been extremely busy with my 3D printing business 🙂 ).

So one of our army of UM3 is giving us issues (its always the same one... the first one we bought the moment the UM3's came out). Warranty is long gone too...

This time the auto leveling isn't working. I spent 3 hours on it with no success.

What i tried/did:

Clean both print heads.

Change print heads.

Tighten the bed fully to give it 14mm space before doing a dozen manual leveling and automatic leveling (automatic leveling = head touches glass every time when it starts).

Check the red sensor wire, looks fine, its fully seated.

What can i do? Right now it's doing a test print in after manually leveling the bed and turning auto bed level off.

Since we run at 100% capacity (we have 2 SLS, 2 SLA, 4 UM3 and 6 Prusa MK3) We can't really afford having any printers down...

Any help would be greatly appreciated before we have to send it in out of warranty (can't imagine the cost of that... brrrr).

Also any tips/tricks in printing on a UM3 in manual leveling mode? Same as Um2?

Thank you!

When I first inquired about this when I got my first UM3E (right after product launch), I remember being told here that the machine is susceptible to RF interference.

With that machine, I have had to do what you did. Manually level and just print.

It does not happen all the time, but when it does, I have to do as you did and then a bit later, it goes back to normal.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kmanstudios said:

When I first inquired about this when I got my first UM3E (right after product launch), I remember being told here that the machine is susceptible to RF interference.

With that machine, I have had to do what you did. Manually level and just print.

It does not happen all the time, but when it does, I have to do as you did and then a bit later, it goes back to normal.

VERY interesting. Something to keep an eye on.

I am hoping someone from Team Ultimaker will see this to verify or, clarify this. My memory ain't so good since surgery.

It may be just general electrical interference.

The good thing is that you can turn off the active leveling after manual leveling. It generally lasts as long as you have the same buildplate in place.

We change buildplates nearly daily. We have a dozen spare glass buildplates, precoated, so we can quick swap.

Hence why we spent a fortune on the UM3's, quite a few of them, because of reliability. Might grab one or two S5's but unsure. UM3's are nice, but i have not been impressed with the aftersale customer service. It seems those machines are hit/miss, might get a really good one or a really shitty one. Although in all fairness... i think that was a first/second batch issue, which is understandable.