Jump to content
maht

Ultimaker Cura 4.0 | Stable available!

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited) · Ultimaker Cura 4.0 | Stable available!
9 minutes ago, rburema said:

 

@latreides There a plugin that implements your suggestion: look for the 'Sidebar GUI' in plugins. Alternatively: We're looking into the UI complaints, which we hope to alleviate by making the settings (and color) pannels draggable.

 

I worry about using plugins because Cura 4.0 crashes constantly for me as is.  For example it crashed at least a dozen times yesterday.  I don't want to muddy that (or possibly make it worse) by using unofficial add-ons.  If the UI issues are known, and they are working on them, then I can console myself with the fact that it will be fixed at some point.

Edited by latreides

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Ultimaker Cura 4.0 | Stable available!

@latreides Which error does it crash with? (I assume you do at least get the stack-trace/send report window, right?)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited) · Ultimaker Cura 4.0 | Stable available!
17 minutes ago, rburema said:

@latreides Which error does it crash with? (I assume you do at least get the stack-trace/send report window, right?)

Most of the time I do, in fact I generally get many send report windows per-crash.  Sometimes I don't though.  I do not recall what the exact errors were.

 

Generally speaking I get a lock up regularly when I drag/drop an STL file into the main window.  I get an instant crash often (with half a dozen crash windows) when I switch between different printers (if there is a model loaded).  The chances of these crashes occurring is increased dramatically if a model is being sliced when I do either of these actions.  I haven't yet had either error occur when no model is loaded (but I haven't specifically tried)

 

Edited by latreides

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Ultimaker Cura 4.0 | Stable available!

We fixed at least the 'crash handler crashes when sending crash report' issue, so at the very least you'll only get one crash report (containing the actual relevant crash). If you can remember (or encounter again) some of those crashes, you could report it to the Cura github repo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Ultimaker Cura 4.0 | Stable available!
1 hour ago, rburema said:

@UMS5_VSM The plugins may (understandably) lag a bit behind the official releases, as they're released by 3rd parties. Here's the webpage of that plugin, so you may be able to contact the author.

 

@Sassw Could you maybe add some reprocude steps and sreenshots? It'll be a lot easier to report to the cloud team that way.

 

@latreides There a plugin that implements your suggestion: look for the 'Sidebar GUI' in plugins. Alternatively: We're looking into the UI complaints, which we hope to alleviate by making the settings (and color) pannels draggable.

 

Which features are actually meant to be available? 

 

Is Ultimaker Cloud currently just a tunnel to the machine? Or is there an actual token exchange with Ultimaker Cloud to enable the printer to talk to a cloud server and CURA talking to the cloud server?

 

I don't even think there is a url to login to the Ultimaker Cloud, or at least its not available from ultimaker.com homepage. 

 

Either way there are no steps to reproduce, it just currently has nothing there! Just some empty UI dialogs in CURA and on the machine.

 

I can "sign in" to an ultimaker from cura on many computers, but it does not add any functionality. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Ultimaker Cura 4.0 | Stable available!

You log in to the cloud via CURA itself, and, as of now and unless I am mistaken, it is only used for the backups done by the backup add-on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Ultimaker Cura 4.0 | Stable available!

It looks like Cura 4.1 brought in the print via cloud features - now working very well and as expected; it also resolved our network printing issue where the IP of the machine was being forgotten on launch. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Ultimaker Cura 4.0 | Stable available!

Cura 4.1 will have an improved cloud connection flow. Simply signing in in Cura and Cura Connect will make the printer appear in the 'add printer' list of discovered printers (no need anymore to be on the same local network for 'pairing').

 

We also silently (marketing starts with Cura 4.1 release) launched https://mycloud.ultimaker.com/app/devices, which shows your cloud-connected print clusters and their queue. You still need Cura (4.0 or higher) to add new jobs. But at least you can now see the status of your machines without having to open Cura. We'll be adding more functionality to this application over time. In Cura you're also able to see the status of the printers and queue. We'd love to hear your feedback!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited) · Ultimaker Cura 4.0 | Stable available!
23 hours ago, ctbeke said:

Cura 4.1 will have an improved cloud connection flow. Simply signing in in Cura and Cura Connect will make the printer appear in the 'add printer' list of discovered printers (no need anymore to be on the same local network for 'pairing').

 

We also silently (marketing starts with Cura 4.1 release) launched https://mycloud.ultimaker.com/app/devices, which shows your cloud-connected print clusters and their queue. You still need Cura (4.0 or higher) to add new jobs. But at least you can now see the status of your machines without having to open Cura. We'll be adding more functionality to this application over time. In Cura you're also able to see the status of the printers and queue. We'd love to hear your feedback!

Am currently at work but I left my U3Ext printing something.  Do I have to set anything up from Cura at home or from my U3?  I can see a device listed in mycloud, but it's listed as "ultimakersystem-ccbdd3001d5a".  The device is "IP Null" and doesn't show anything printing in the current group and nothing queued.

 

I'm still running Cura 4.0 at home and it is currently running on my home laptop.

Edited by randyinla

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Ultimaker Cura 4.0 | Stable available!
10 hours ago, randyinla said:

Am currently at work but I left my U3Ext printing something.  Do I have to set anything up from Cura at home or from my U3?  I can see a device listed in mycloud, but it's listed as "ultimakersystem-ccbdd3001d5a".  The device is "IP Null" and doesn't show anything printing in the current group and nothing queued.

 

I'm still running Cura 4.0 at home and it is currently running on my home laptop.

 

Mm sounds like the list of printers is not coming back from the cluster. This can sometimes happen after a firmware upgrade. Is any of these things true:

 

* Is any of the printers in your cluster (if you have multiple) on an older firmware version?

* Do you have a CC 0.6 core installed on the printer?

 

If not, try a Cura Connect reset on the printer's display, that will wipe any old data that might not be compatible.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Ultimaker Cura 4.0 | Stable available!
1 hour ago, ctbeke said:

 

Mm sounds like the list of printers is not coming back from the cluster. This can sometimes happen after a firmware upgrade. Is any of these things true:

 

* Is any of the printers in your cluster (if you have multiple) on an older firmware version?

* Do you have a CC 0.6 core installed on the printer?

 

If not, try a Cura Connect reset on the printer's display, that will wipe any old data that might not be compatible.

I believe the U3Ext has the latest firmware.  It's currently printing so I can't look it up.  Huh!  I didn't realize the .6mm ruby print core was "CC".  No.  I do not have one of those.  I currently have both original AA 0.4mm cores.  I own two AA 0.8mm's & a BB 0.8mm which have been installed at one time, but not now.

 

I'll try a Cura Connect reset tomorrow and report back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Ultimaker Cura 4.0 | Stable available!

Mine crashed today and I now lost everything.. Is there anyway I can recover my settings?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Ultimaker Cura 4.0 | Stable available!

Just wanting to report a minor bug.

I have found that if I turn my UM3 off while Cura is running, then turn the UM3 back on, Cura will never find it online again unless I exit Cura and restart.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Ultimaker Cura 4.0 | Stable available!

I'm unable to enter custom layer heights greater than three decimal places long. It was already extremely aggravating in 3.0 to be limited to four decimal places, but now in 4.0 I'm limited to three?!? That's infuriating, especially because when I select a default profile that has four decimal places it will use that as the layer height. But if I want to enter my own to save time and tweak settings without setting up entirely new profiles? I'm screwed. 

 

 

The only reason I'm even using 4.0 is because 3.0 lost all my profiles for the second time, is there any way to keep that data from disappearing? I use Cura for my own work and for educating my students, losing all my profiles has been debilitating. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Ultimaker Cura 4.0 | Stable available!
9 hours ago, TheSinkingMan said:

I'm unable to enter custom layer heights greater than three decimal places long. It was already extremely aggravating in 3.0 to be limited to four decimal places, but now in 4.0 I'm limited to three?!? That's infuriating, especially because when I select a default profile that has four decimal places it will use that as the layer height. But if I want to enter my own to save time and tweak settings without setting up entirely new profiles? I'm screwed. 

 

 

The only reason I'm even using 4.0 is because 3.0 lost all my profiles for the second time, is there any way to keep that data from disappearing? I use Cura for my own work and for educating my students, losing all my profiles has been debilitating. 

 

 

What kind of layer heights are you trying to run and what printer do you have. Let me get this straight you are trying to run better than  .001?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Ultimaker Cura 4.0 | Stable available!

I think @TheSinkingMan is trying to keep the layer height to a multiple of the effective height per step of the Z stepper motor, which could improve quality due to aliasing issues with other layer heights.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited) · Ultimaker Cura 4.0 | Stable available!

@Ahoeben is correct. The monoprice mini has some bizarre layer heights like .13125. Cura 4.0 and 3.0 were aware of that and had profiles to match those layer heights natively. Cura 3.0 cut everything off at 4 decimal places though, which wasn't particularly awful since that covered most layer heights for the mini anyway. But now that its down to 3 I'm really held back. It's especially frustrating because if I go to a default profile that goes to 4 decimal points it'll allow it, but the second I touch the layer heights myself I'm stuck back at 3. 

 

 

Another issue I've noticed is that my models are getting these weird holes all over the place ever since I updated. It's not particularly bad if it's my students models, like the one shown, but I work with fluids and these holes make the models I use to make a living unusable. I've gone back to 3.6 atm and the holes are there too. I'll have to figure out what version I was on before I lost all my profiles. It'll put holes in perfect cubes too. Which makes me think maybe it's a visual thing that I'm just not understanding? I loaded a perfect cube onto the platform and one of the edges was just removed.

 

 

90K3QCG.png

 

 

Here's an image of the holes

Edited by TheSinkingMan
Added picture reference

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Ultimaker Cura 4.0 | Stable available!

The "another issue" is caused by the coasting option. Coasting is when the printer stops extruding before the end of a layer. When printed, there will not be holes because there is still some remaining pressure so material continues to ooze out while finishing the layer. At least, that's the idea. I would guess it makes more sense on a bowden-tube printer than a direct extruder printer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Ultimaker Cura 4.0 | Stable available!

That's actually pretty cool. So my model quality overall should be improved with this setting enabled? I'm tempted to disable it just to get a look at the differences. At the moment the coasting stuff only seems to be applying to my monoprice Minis, so it actually won't end up affecting anything related to me more serious work. Thanks for sharing all this information it's great to learn more. Especially since Cura is what I recommend to all my students. I should probably take a weekend to go in-depth and just learn about every setting specifically.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Ultimaker Cura 4.0 | Stable available!
48 minutes ago, TheSinkingMan said:

So my model quality overall should be improved with this setting enabled?

 

That is the idea. At least the person who wrote/updated the definition for the printer you use thought it was an improvement. Ultimaker does not test this, neither do I (I don't have a monoprice mini).

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Ultimaker Cura 4.0 | Stable available!

I've just committed a change to master, so the 4 decimal places (instead of 3) should be back in the release after next one as well.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Ultimaker Cura 4.0 | Stable available!

I could have sworn I saw one of the other dev's commenting on my change, but I see that hasn't happend yet:

 

Long story short, there was a reason we started cutting it off at 3: The engine only works with (integer) microns, so x.xxx millimeter is the best precision you're going to get out of it. Anything else would just (in effect) deceive the user.

 

Therefore, I've had to revert the change 😞

 

... and this is why we usually make tickets 🙂

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Our picks

    • Ultimaker Cura 4.0 | Stable available!
      Ultimaker Cura 4.0 is mainly focused on the improved user interface and cloud integration.
      As always, we want to collect your user feedback for this release. If there are any improvements you can think of, feel free to mention it here and help us to shape the next release.
      • 96 replies
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to the Ultimaker Community of 3D printing experts. Visit the following links to read more about our Terms of Use or our Privacy Policy. Thank you!