Cura is not turning on fan during print

Luke6805

Posted · Cura is not turning on fan during print

Hey guys recently updated to cura 4.0 and having a problem. i actually started having this problem on cura 3.6 but it is still persisting. Basically my main fan that is pointed at the nozzle is not being turned on during the print. I have all my settings within the program to have it on, yet while it is printing the fan is not being activated. 

If i send the gcode directly to the printer the fan turns on so the hardware is definetly working. I even tried adding some gcode to the "Start G-code" text box setting the fan to turn on in the beginning and it works but once it starts printing the fan turns back off. Any idea on how to fix this issue? 

Printer is the Monoprice Maker Select V2 so it may be an issue because there is no preset for it but i doubt it because the fan was working previously but seemed to randomly start having this issue a couple weeks ago

I don't think it's the gcodes. I think it's a wire that opens up when the head moves to the middle of the print.

But first check for all gcodes that start with "M1".  There is probably only 10 or 20 in your entire gcode file.  And look them all up here:

http://reprap.org/wiki/G_code

• 2 weeks later...
    Posted (edited) · Cura is not turning on fan during print

I have same situation here, since i upgraded to cura 4, the fan won't start after the 1 layer. 

Screen Shot 2019-04-01 at 09.29.53.png

Edited by dicky

Posted (edited) · Cura is not turning on fan during print

Yes same here. I can confirm that the issue is with cura 4.0.0 I think, going back to cura 3.4.1 no issues but with cura 4.0.0 I get no can as well.

Edited by vis321

I think I figured it out.

Cura 4.0.0 now has a new feature where you can select different number of cooling fans.

I looked at the gcode exported from cura 3.4.1 and the gcode from cura 4.0.0. I noticed the M106 command was exported as M106 S255 P1. I compared this to the gcode exported from cura 3.4.1 which just had M106 S255. I first tried to modify the gcode to have M106 S255 P0, AND THAT WORKED Later in my investigation I noticed in the "Machine Settings" under "Extruder 1", there is a new setting called "Cooling Fan Number", by default it was set to 1, hence the "P1" reference in the gcode.

Change the option under "Cooling Fan Number" from 1 to 0. 

After that I saw cura exported the gcode as before M106 S255. I popped in sd card and it seemed to solve my issue. I am sure maybe in the Marlin configuration you could change the fan number as well but this seemed to fix my issue.

Hope this helps! 

fan number.JPG

• Like 6
    • Thanks 7

On 4/3/2019 at 4:17 AM, vis321 said:

Cura 4.0.0 now has a new feature where you can select different number of cooling fans.

I looked at the gcode exported from cura 3.4.1 and the gcode from cura 4.0.0. I noticed the M106 command was exported as M106 S255 P1. I compared this to the gcode exported from cura 3.4.1 which just had M106 S255. I first tried to modify the gcode to have M106 S255 P0, AND THAT WORKED Later in my investigation I noticed in the "Machine Settings" under "Extruder 1", there is a new setting called "Cooling Fan Number", by default it was set to 1, hence the "P1" reference in the gcode.

After that I saw cura exported the gcode as before M106 S255. I popped in sd card and it seemed to solve my issue. I am sure maybe in the Marlin configuration you could change the fan number as well but this seemed to fix my issue.

Hope this helps! 

fan number.JPG

Thanks man, this fixed my problem as well.

In my case I had older marlin firmware working with Cura 4.1 and after updating the firmware, this started happening. Glad you shared this easy fix 🙂

• Thanks 1

On 4/3/2019 at 4:17 AM, vis321 said:

Hope this helps! 

fan number.JPG

Bro I literally just made this account to thank you

Thank you you are awsome

On 4/2/2019 at 10:17 PM, vis321 said:

Hope this helps! 

fan number.JPG

So.. I did this. Still not showing in the gcode. my machines got 2 fans. so I set the CFN to 2. machine wasnt turning em on , so I searched til I found this. I put it back to default(0) , and havent seen a diff. havent done a print since, hesitant because of this. my last 15 hr print , every piece had ripples all the way from bottom to top.

Hello,

I'm having the exact same problem, when i try to send the M106 S255 the fan starts turning but if the code sent by cura is M106 s255 P1 the printer, arduino and pronterface don't recognize it.  unknown command:   

Me too I tried to remove the fan from cura. In this case Cura does not send the gcode to turn the fan on M106 S255.

I keep trying 

I just would like to say thank you to vis321and SgtKiLLx: setting "Cooling fun number" to 0 I solved the problem. I was one step to buy a cooling fan...

totally agree, that 0 fan on the extruder fixed my problem too.

Thanks

• Like 1

Again much thanks for this fix! 

I'm on Cura 4.7.0 and my part cooling fan turns on 5min or so in the print, it worked great till I changed my Nozzel offset?

Did that effect something? When adding the g-code where do you put it, in that start g-code on the printer?

Screen Shot 2020-09-09 at 9.11.34 PM.png

Little update when I start a print this is what the fan does.

1st layer 0%

2nd layer 33%

3rd layer 66%

4th layer 100% and it stays on after that for the entire print?

Yes, in reference to the above. I also find that my EastThreed K1 fan doesn't turn on throughout the entire print. In fact, it sometimes appears sporadic. Sometimes it turns on the moment the skirt starts printing and sometimes it doesn't. But can attest that usually even if it doesn't turn on initially, it would turn on about half way through the print.

Anyone experience this? I am on Cura 4.9

On 4/2/2019 at 10:17 PM, vis321 said:

Hope this helps! 

fan number.JPG

THANK YOU!!!!! This was driving me crazy

i am having the same issue except mine doesnt run fan,bed temp, or nozzle temp??

On 4/2/2019 at 11:17 PM, vis321 said:

Hope this helps! 

fan number.JPG

I made a point of registering and entering here to thank you. I had the same problem, now... SOLVED!

On 4/2/2019 at 8:17 PM, vis321 said:

Hope this helps! 

fan number.JPG

Bloody hell, I’ve had this Ender 3 Max for over 2 bloody years! I’ve been adjusting the cooling fan manually, it’s been driving me crazy. I’ve searched for so long, learning and looking through marlin firmware using VSCode. So ridiculous that it was this simple. Good excuse to learn Marlin better I suppose. 

Thank you so much!!!